follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
StevenEngage

Drives: 1995 Nissan Sentra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
i would think they would squeeze out as many sales from the N/A models before offering the STI models. also they are having a hard time meeting demands as it is with the N/A models. well have to wait and see, i'd guess the following year at the earliest.
Plus I would imagine if they announced and released it so fast the people that bought a normal brz and would have bought an sti one would go into a rage haha
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Chauntalei

Drives: Non-BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Subaru has said they want to do an STI version, but the quote directly from one of the top level guys involved the project said 250hp (still N/A) and still RWD. Performance improvements come from intake, exhaust, redline increase, as well as changes to the VVT. Weight reduction will come from lighter wheels, carbon fiber hood, racing bucket seats and potentially carbon fiber roof as well.

Source here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lopment-report (from March 2012)
Chauntalei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chauntalei For This Useful Post:
AndreaCristiano (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
You guys don't have to be douchebags I was just asking a question
i think people are just fed up with the mentality of no awd/turbo =/= STI. youre not the first person to state this, your question did seem somewhat sarcastic. its hard to tell on the internet though. they could have been a little more polite in their response i suppose. A lot of the WRX "enthusiast" have been bitching about this same thing since the car was announced RWD. so yea, i think everyone is just a little annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenEngage View Post
Plus I would imagine if they announced and released it so fast the people that bought a normal brz and would have bought an sti one would go into a rage haha
lol yea this also. another thing is if they announce it early, it will affect the sales of the current models. people will just wait for the sti.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
thermobox

Drives: 16 Impreza 5dr CWP
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
i think people are just fed up with the mentality of no awd/turbo =/= STI. youre not the first person to state this, your question did seem somewhat sarcastic. its hard to tell on the internet though. they could have been a little more polite in their response i suppose. A lot of the WRX "enthusiast" have been bitching about this same thing since the car was announced RWD. so yea, i think everyone is just a little annoyed.

lol yea this also. another thing is if they announce it early, it will affect the sales of the current models. people will just wait for the sti.
Yep, couldn't have said it better.

I'm just tired of people saying "This what it is and how it's gonna happen, cause I know so."

None of us really know anything. It's all rumors and lies at this point.

Will Subaru do a high performance BRZ? Yes. It's inevitable. Cars only get better. Even if it's powered with 25 hamsters running on corn, it will be better.

What will make it STi? We don't know. It seems as though the majority believe it will be NA and not FI.

When will it come? We don't know. Might not even see it for a few years. We didn't get the WRX/STi line-ups until ten years after their respective introductions in other world markets.
thermobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Willing to wait.

If it comes out as an STi then it will come, but for now... Career > Car.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
jdmitr

Drives: BRZ Limited - '85 Corolla GTS coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauntalei View Post
Subaru has said they want to do an STI version, but the quote directly from one of the top level guys involved the project said 250hp (still N/A) and still RWD. Performance improvements come from intake, exhaust, redline increase, as well as changes to the VVT. Weight reduction will come from lighter wheels, carbon fiber hood, racing bucket seats and potentially carbon fiber roof as well.

Source here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lopment-report (from March 2012)
Everything concrete that I have been hearing too. I pretty much doubt that the final version will have a carbon hood or roof but it would be nice. The engineers have said the the chassis was never intended for awd and they have simply said that it won't work in this chassis. Also they say that a turbo wont fit...even though we all know it CAN be done but we all know that engineers dont think like most of us do.
jdmitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You know what would make this car an STi? Getting rid of the damn Toyota Direct Injection and using the Subaru one they made for the FA20 w/ Turbo going into the next gen impreza.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ngabdala For This Useful Post:
Razz (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #22

Drives: '23 CWP BRZ
Thanked 1,126 Times in 533 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I heard 2016 from a Subaru dealer, haha.
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
If we look back at historical data, the US didn't get the STi until 2004 while Japan had it for ages..

I would bet a fair amount that Japan will get some high spec version long before we do... I would guess MY 2013 for japan and 2014 for the US.

Rest assured an STi version will come, its just a matter of when/how much... This chassis just screams for more power and grip..
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
rapt

Drives: Silver Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They did turbocharge the fa20 but they say it is for the new imprezza 296 hp 298 tq
rapt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rapt For This Useful Post:
wu_dot_com (08-06-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
Stu baru
Official Cobb beer knurd

Drives: 2013 BRZ-L MT SWP
Subaru is glacial in their performance production releases. They introduced the Impreza in the early '90's and it took them a decade to bring the turbo version to the US. Now that they've established themselves as a known performance brand, they can move more quickly. Still, I'm betting they will wait and see how the '13, '14, and possibly '15 BRZ sales go before bringing a turbo BRZ here if they intend to go that route. I know they were adamant about going NA with this model, but I'm certain they're aware of the consensus opinion from we the owners that the car needs more low-end power. I could see them going with 3 BRZ models, not unlike the Impreza line...base (current NA variant), WRX-like turbo, and STI. We'll see.
Stu baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #26
Bacon
i liek turtles

Drives: 2002 Honda S2000
Knowing Subaru as of recently, they will respond quickly. The 2008 WRXs were coldly received by the market so for 09 It received 30 extra horsepower and for kicks, the STI spoiler.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
tinnyms3

Drives: ms3
I predict STI version for MY2015, 305hp, still RWD, more aluminum bits to compensate for larger brakes/wheels, starting at $35K. To reach that power level, some sort of FI, may just use modified version of fa20 on JDM Legacy.

By then, base BRZ will get power increase to 220hp, with 'track' package available, similar suspension and brakes as STI.

BRZ STi on order
tinnyms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinnyms3 For This Useful Post:
WRXGuy1 (08-03-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
FLHC

Drives: WRX
Quote:
i think people are just fed up with the mentality of no awd/turbo =/= STI. youre not the first person to state this, your question did seem somewhat sarcastic. its hard to tell on the internet though. they could have been a little more polite in their response i suppose. A lot of the WRX "fanboys" have been bitching about this same thing since the car was announced RWD. so yea, i think everyone is just a little annoyed.

Fixed.

I will never forget when I went to see the BRZ and some kid in monster subaru shirt was there to check out pastrana's rally car. He looked at the BRZ, laughed and did some stupid hand motion like "OMG" and said "IT'S NOT EVEN ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!!"
FLHC is offline   Reply With Quote