follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #1
abyssFT86

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wheel bearing or R-comp tire making noise?

Howdy,

I've got a 2020 BRZ, 6,600 mi on the clock and 12 track days. Mechanic mentioned that they were concerned about the wheel bearing because of the noise coming from the car. To me it sounds like a hollow sort of humming sound. The sound doesn't get worse when steering right to left at speed, so the mechanic said they think it's a bearing in the back wheels.

When they pointed out the noise, my initial thought was that I have r-comp tires (Toyo R888R) which as long as I can remember have had a lot of road noise. Also have Annex coilovers which are quite stiff so there's a good deal of road noise / vibration coming through.

Anyways, my questions are -

1) is there an easy way to tell whether the wheel bearing is actually bad? I'd be surprised if one went bad at 6,600 even with the track days. I could bring it into the dealer (still under warranty) but expect they'd probably just blame the tires and suspension work.

2) could leaving a wheel bearing that's potentially going bad in place cause a catastrophic failure at the track, or would it gracefully fail (just start getting louder)?

thanks!
abyssFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
itschris

Drives: '14
I replaced my fronts with new OEM hubs and started hearing a whirring noise ~7k later. I kept driving on it for another 5k until the noise got too loud for my commute. There was no noticable play but lots of groaning under anything other than light braking.

They're easy enough to swap. You could just do it and keep the extra on hand if it doesn't improve since you'll eventually need it. I don't think they last very long on these cars especially if track driving is mixed in.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:38 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,364 Times in 7,403 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Wheel bearing or R-comp tire making noise?

Tracking these cars is hard on front hubs.It does seem to be a bit hit or miss as I know some people that have only been through 1 or 2. I am on my 3rd set. You will hear it under corner load and may feel it a bit through the wheel. Checking it on stands doesn’t really work until they start to get really bad.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Front beering humming volume should change if turning or driving straight, and yes, relatively simple change. If humming noise is constant, yes, possible rear one. With that there might be some issue, that if rear wheel bearing is seased on hub, possibly for removing usage of Clarkson's favorite tool might be needed, which can damage bearing .. so possibly one may need to buy whole hub with bearing.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
abyssFT86

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Thanks all, good to know it's a simpler fix. I did some more research here and elsewhere.

- There are a number of complaints of R888R creating a noise that sounds like wheel bearing failure (fount 10+ on different car platforms). This seems to be due to the wide / particular v shaped grooves on that tire. Generally folks reported that noise starting around 40mph and worse on particular road surfaces.

- Many on this forum report high amount of use (ex: 100+ track days, 60,000mi+ before wheel bearing failure), CSG Mike mentioned in another thread that it is not-so-common on these cars. Still, others like itschris above report very short intervals (7,000 mi) so clearly variable.

My guess given the above is that my wheel bearings aren't actually going bad. I did make a service appt at the dealer but going to do some test driving and will likely cancel
abyssFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abyssFT86 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (04-27-2023)
Old 09-05-2022, 06:28 AM   #6
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Not sure about your bearing situation but my experience with R888Rs is that they get ridiculously loud as soon as you reach anything above 50 kph (around 30 mph I guess).
MrSkubi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:13 AM   #7
Spairo

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6 spd in Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you have another set of wheels and tires that you can throw on?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Spairo is offline   Reply With Quote