follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #659
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
We have snow.

The world drove cars for decades in the snow before AWD. AWD isn't necessary. It can be better, but not necessary. Anyways, nothing amount AWD requires SUV or truck dimensions--to reference the original topic. An AWD EV is fine.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...snow/index.htm

Is it not saying something that Norway has the most EV's per capita in the world with 83% of new sales in May going to electric? I mean Norway does get a lot of snow. Just saying.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/06/02...ll-bestseller/

It is an inevitability. Oil is finite fuel source. Supplies are not projected to last long. At best, oil demand will exceed supply within a century. Dumping millions and millions of tons of CO2 in the air is equally as silly. What is your solution to these issues? If not electric then what other sustainable/renewable?

The world drove decades catless, withou abs, seatbelt, airbag, crash testing, eletronic controls on powertrain to reduce emissions and so on. So, your point makes no sense.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #660
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I guess it boils down to "so what?". I really don't see or understand your point here. As I said, people buy what people buy for the reasons they buy them, and none of that really matters in the end.

Every vehicle has "features" people don't use to their fullest. Heck, I don't think my passenger side window has ever been in anything but the up position (with the exception of when the door is opened and closed). I also don't "need" electric windows for that matter but there they are.

Where is your "break even" point on when someone should buy a function because they occasionally need it?

I do agree that trucks may be the "killer app" for EVs, bringing more into the fold. But, that is because it's the vehicle people want.

As far as the "most people could live with an EV", well most people buy vehicles for the 20% need not the 80%. If you can only afford one, or even two, cars you are going to buy the car you can take summer vacation in, not the one that you need to drive to work every day. Bottom line is people that own cars don't rent cars for special purposes unless forced to do so (flying to a new town on vacation/business/etc).
I’ve already stated the point several times. I know because I have said “the point” or even said, “The big point,” while underlining it, but I’ll say it again, which is that the argument that the vast majority of people couldn’t live with an EV because they need the utility of a truck has been demonstrated to be a myth. EV trucks can tow and haul. The vast majority of people who buy trucks will not require the longer towing range of an ICE truck. If they do then they will likely be able to rent one.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #661
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
LOL. Green future eh ? Let's just move the point of pollution from the tailpipe to the power station, the strip mining operations in africa and china, the dangerous waste byproducts of refining the materials mined for batteries and solar panels in africa and china, and to every junkyard that will end up storing these toxic batteries each becoming a superfund site when all these wonder cars become wrecked, broken or obsolete.

Just to recap : nobody actually uses their trucks, elon musk is our savior and CO2 is going to kill the planet but strip mining of toxic materials is "green".

Top notch.
Watch the battery day. Get updated.

Read the Expert Prognosis thread in the Off Topic forum. Look up battery recycling. Eventually we will be mining batteries for products. We already are starting. That, and we are using car batteries for grid storage. Moreover, materials are changing as battery technology improves and changes.

Regardless, our current path is not sustainable, so it will require changing and soon.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #662
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yes, but Norway's conversion isn't out of consumer demand, it is a government program that has basically made it impractical to do anything but buy a new EV if you want a new car.
Consumer demand and consumer needs are two separate things. Regardless, I just demonstrated that the demand is for luxury trucks. People don’t use the utility of a truck much. Expect EV trucks to be great.

This is true. They are incentivizing people to get EVs. It seems to be working out fine.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #663
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Good lord, I've never looked into norway's taxes but they're number 2 in the world for the highest???

https://www.nationmaster.com/country.../Tax/Tax-rates
Half of my taxes are going to our military. I wonder what Norwegians get from their taxes.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #664
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
The world drove decades catless, withou abs, seatbelt, airbag, crash testing, eletronic controls on powertrain to reduce emissions and so on. So, your point makes no sense.
My point was demonstrated by the article. AWD doesn’t improve braking performance or handling. It improves forward acceleration. That has nothing to do with safety. Getting stuck in the snow might not be such a big problem that it requires everyone to have AWD or 4WD, let alone a truck with those features. Regardless, EVs can have AWD and 4WD, so we are still good
Old 06-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #665
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
There's a big problem with the climate panic mongering. It's called "Ice Core Data". Our polar ice caps have maintained a indisputable record of our atmospheric conditions, for 100s of thousands of years. CO2, temps, all of it. What it shows is normal, fluctuating patterns of ebb and flow, in temps, CO2, etc., since before humans existed. Placed in graph form, the pattern closely resembles a heartbeat on an EKG-rising, then failing, over and over. What the pseudo scientists and leftist power mongers do is take a small time sample, where the graph is temporarily rising, and falsely claim the sky is falling. It's getting harder to find credible ice core data reports, with all the neo-marxist censorship, but they exist, and they are irrefutable. I studied scientific method and design for my degree, and the amount of garbage "studies" claiming credibility out there is impressive, but volume does not equal truth. The climate change lies are political, and with all things political, hot air is cheap, and action/results are all that matter. With the Left, everything is rooted in increasing the power, wealth, and control of a few at the top. Their goal is to convert US citizens into a commodity, as there progress in other countries offers examples of what the US will become if folks don't stop swallowing bad pills. If the goal were pollution reduction, we'd be looking at something with more upside potential, like hydrogen, instead of swapping one energy source for another with different but substantially similar negative environments effects (petroleum vs. battery). Can you imagine the government tax losses if hydrogen fueled vehicles ran on H2O? NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #666
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,263 Times in 609 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Half of my taxes are going to our military. I wonder what Norwegians get from their taxes.

Hyperbole is but not necessary to get a solid point across?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-08-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #667
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

Hyperbole is but not necessary to get a solid point across?
Social Security is basically an investment fund for my future. Also, it caps out above $142k, so as a percentage of our income, it is lower. Regardless, out military budget is greater than 50% of discretionary spending.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #668
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,263 Times in 609 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Social Security is basically an investment fund for my future. Also, it caps out above $142k, so as a percentage of our income, it is lower. Regardless, out military budget is greater than 50% of discretionary spending.

Interesting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/10/why-...etirement.html

"-Discretionary Spending
Discretionary Spending is the portion of the budget that the president requests and Congress appropriates every year. It represents less than one-third of the total federal budget, while mandatory spending accounts for around two-thirds."

Emphasis and underline added. You sound like you want to make the number more alarming than reality for the sake of hyperbole, again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-08-2021), soundman98 (06-03-2021), WildCard600 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #669
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
There's a big problem with the climate panic mongering. It's called "Ice Core Data". Our polar ice caps have maintained a indisputable record of our atmospheric conditions, for 100s of thousands of years. CO2, temps, all of it. What it shows is normal, fluctuating patterns of ebb and flow, in temps, CO2, etc., since before humans existed. Placed in graph form, the pattern closely resembles a heartbeat on an EKG-rising, then failing, over and over. What the pseudo scientists and leftist power mongers do is take a small time sample, where the graph is temporarily rising, and falsely claim the sky is falling. It's getting harder to find credible ice core data reports, with all the neo-marxist censorship, but they exist, and they are irrefutable. I studied scientific method and design for my degree, and the amount of garbage "studies" claiming credibility out there is impressive, but volume does not equal truth. The climate change lies are political, and with all things political, hot air is cheap, and action/results are all that matter. With the Left, everything is rooted in increasing the power, wealth, and control of a few at the top. Their goal is to convert US citizens into a commodity, as there progress in other countries offers examples of what the US will become if folks don't stop swallowing bad pills. If the goal were pollution reduction, we'd be looking at something with more upside potential, like hydrogen, instead of swapping one energy source for another with different but substantially similar negative environments effects (petroleum vs. battery). Can you imagine the government tax losses if hydrogen fueled vehicles ran on H2O? NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.
Get your tin foil hat on. This is from NASA.

Hydrogen is produced from carbon sources like natural gas, and it is far less efficient than EVs, so we just aren’t there yet. Once we have an abundance of green energy then hydrogen will make sense. Not yet.
surfwaxsmitty (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #670
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Interesting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/10/why-...etirement.html

"-Discretionary Spending
Discretionary Spending is the portion of the budget that the president requests and Congress appropriates every year. It represents less than one-third of the total federal budget, while mandatory spending accounts for around two-thirds."

Emphasis and underline added. You sound like you want to make the number more alarming than reality for the sake of hyperbole, again.
You think spending more than the next ten other countries on military and accounting for almost a trillion dollars a year isn’t excessive? Have you considered what we could do with that money? Could we save social security, since you brought it up.

The point is that many countries get more for their tax dollar like getting tuition paid for, healthcare paid for, childcare paid for, etc. so if someone is only looking at the taxes other countries pay without looking at the whole picture then it looks bad, but we have it worse. We pay far more for healthcare with worse outcomes, and that goes the same with many topics. Norway is investing in green infrastructure. We are building our military.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ending-3306308

Old 06-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #671
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My point was demonstrated by the article. AWD doesn’t improve braking performance or handling. It improves forward acceleration. That has nothing to do with safety. Getting stuck in the snow might not be such a big problem that it requires everyone to have AWD or 4WD, let alone a truck with those features. Regardless, EVs can have AWD and 4WD, so we are still good
The article is correct when talking about the braking distance, it is mostly dependent on the tire to road friction coefficient. But the handling characteristics are incorrect, you can have controls that can improve specific situations (drive a Volvo in sketch situations). The article kind of admits that in the middle, but then push back.

AWD + Winter tires is the best, but it does not mean that AWD/4WD are similar to FWD in winter conditions.

If you have a chance, go ro any testing track in Sweeden, Winconsin or MI UP area during winter, you will have lots of fun.
Drive a 2wd PU, then compare to a 4wd PU. You can do some manouvers (slalom, figure 8, lane changes, 90 curve, crowned areas, and so on).

A V-box unit may help you to collect the data and see for yourself.

Edit: Just realized that you used a testing done on a BIW FWD based vehicle to talk about a necessity on driving dynamics for a BOF RWD based vehicle.

Last edited by Stonehorsw; 06-03-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added a point
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #672
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
FWD sucks. Quintessence of dullness.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur-A For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (06-08-2021)