follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
JollyJON

Drives: DGM Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JollyJON's premium DGM BRZ

I've actually had the car for little over a month now but i haven't had the time to start my journal. I've logged over 1000 miles averaging about 30 mpg before breaking it in. now that im over 1000, im averaging about 26. LOL oh well

June 20, 2012

Purchased from Sewell Subaru of Dallas for msrp. add ons: homelink mirror, rear applique, auto tranny, fog lights. i ended up putting 200 miles on the car just driving home and the dealership is only 10 miles away. yup it was that fun.

I was about to wash my car the next day when i found this nick in the passenger door well. I didnt notice it at the dealership when i was doing my inspection, maybe it was because of the sun. regardless, it is an eyesore so i called my dealer that afternoon to get it fixed ASAP

July 6, 2012

fixed the nick and got my car detailed and opticoated by Scott of www.scottwax.com. I heard about him through a fellow forum member and decided to give him a try. Thankfully i did because he gave me an awesome price to fully detail and correct any blemishes on my BRZ as well as apply the opticoat properly.

Here were some of the major defects that he removed

July 7, 2012

Plastidip'd my wheels black to see what they would look like. I was actually aiming for a gun metal look by spraying a base coat of black with a few thin layers of silver metalizer on top but i couldnt find metalizer locally. Plus it looked great with black only. it only took two cans at 6 bucks a pop from home depot. looks pretty good for 12 bucks!

July 19, 2012

I ended up getting my tail lights open. they were ultrasonically welded so i ended up putting a solder iron with a bent tip attachment from radioshack up to them to cut it open. I was able to save the plastic piece that sits on top which is visible when the trunk is open. sw20kosh recently posted a tutorial on how to do this with a dremel which can be found here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12312

I had already started mines when his was finished so i altered my diy to show the procedure with the solder iron only. It can be found below

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12489

thanks for stopping by and Happy modding!

Jon
JollyJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Juanito08

Drives: Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on the car you should hang out with us some time

Juanito08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
rick

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey congrats! Did you do the wheels yourself? If you have some DIY guide of pics of it aswell
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
JollyJON

Drives: DGM Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito08 View Post
Congrats on the car you should hang out with us some time

Yeah let me know the next time yall get together. I'm going to be moving to oklahoma city august 10th for school but im down to meet up anytime before that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Hey congrats! Did you do the wheels yourself? If you have some DIY guide of pics of it aswell
I dont have a diy but its pretty simple. heres what i did:

1. jacked up my car and removed all four tires

2. i laid index cards all the way around the rim of the car so i wouldnt spray the rubber on the tires

3. sprayed it with rubbing alcohol and cleaned it up real good

4. Mask anything you dont want painted and pull out center subaru thing by poking it out/ with flathead in a rag

5. let it dry and spray a light base coat, then followed it up with 3-4 more coats of base black. (you want it to be thick enough to peel later if you decide to remove it)

optional: i found that adding 1-2 coats of silver metalizer makes the wheels look gun metal more than the actual gun metal plastidip. just fyi

6. let dry and replace the wheels.

edit: if you dont want to take the wheels off your car, be sure to cover up your brakes and rotars up with a trashbag or something
JollyJON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JollyJON For This Useful Post:
rick (07-26-2012)