follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Crusr

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Brakes in Germany

Hi

Im a new member who just bought a 2016 BRZ and was wondering if the stock calipers can run both the 294x24mm and the 277x24mm rotors? I bought the BRZ used in Germany and have almost no experience buying car parts here. Tried to get the info from a dealer but they just keep insisting that I bring it in and they will service the brakes. I want to upgrade the pads for sure and am unsure if I should upgrade the rotors. I will be doing a lot of spirited driving and a few laps around Nürburgring and Hockenheimring a few times per year. I would appreciate recommendations on where to order parts as well. Right now I'm interested in EBC Redstuff or Ferodo DS 2500 (only if ceramic) as I don't want to deal with brake dust. Also interested in upgrading the rotors to slotted rotors like DBA street series T 2. The brake lines need to be bled so I was wondering if I should just replace the brake fluid altogether even though it was done last year. The car has less than 12000 kms right now and will also get the annual service done including oil change, oil filter, engine air filter, and cabin filter. The rear diffrential fluid was also changed last year.

Sorry for the long post
Would really appreciate any help

Thanks in Advance

Edit: 17" OZ Summer wheels and 17" Original Subaru wheels for winter as well

Last edited by Crusr; 07-20-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention wheel size
Crusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DBA rotors are very expensive in EU, not sure gain worth it. Also not sure mentioned pads stand well against track abuse, though one lap round 'ring might be different then 15-20min session on smaller tracks.
AFAIK Germany is very anal regarding street legality of mods, with everything needing to be TUV certified. I'd consider retrofitting PP brembo package. Depending on where/how to get it, cost might be extraorbitant though.
Among mods to increase capabilities of stock brakes, worth looking into adding airducts, eg. Verus's kit.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusr View Post
Hi

Im a new member who just bought a 2016 BRZ and was wondering if the stock calipers can run both the 294x24mm and the 277x24mm rotors? I bought the BRZ used in Germany and have almost no experience buying car parts here. Tried to get the info from a dealer but they just keep insisting that I bring it in and they will service the brakes. I want to upgrade the pads for sure and am unsure if I should upgrade the rotors. I will be doing a lot of spirited driving and a few laps around Nürburgring and Hockenheimring a few times per year. I would appreciate recommendations on where to order parts as well. Right now I'm interested in EBC Redstuff or Ferodo DS 2500 (only if ceramic) as I don't want to deal with brake dust. Also interested in upgrading the rotors to slotted rotors like DBA street series T 2. The brake lines need to be bled so I was wondering if I should just replace the brake fluid altogether even though it was done last year. The car has less than 12000 kms right now and will also get the annual service done including oil change, oil filter, engine air filter, and cabin filter. The rear diffrential fluid was also changed last year.

Sorry for the long post
Would really appreciate any help

Thanks in Advance

Edit: 17" OZ Summer wheels and 17" Original Subaru wheels for winter as well
Porterfield R4S Carbon Kevlar pads over anything ebc if you want consistent drama free stops. Low dust pads too. Easy on rotors.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,202 Times in 3,482 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think BRZ brakes in the UK too.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Crusr

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
I figured out through a german forum the size of my calipers. Just going with brembo rotors and pads for now. Now the question is if i bleed the brakes, should i have extra brake fluid on hand?
Crusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
WolfWings

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusr View Post
I figured out through a german forum the size of my calipers. Just going with brembo rotors and pads for now. Now the question is if i bleed the brakes, should i have extra brake fluid on hand?
...that's literally how bleeding the brakes works, you add more fluid then cycle it through the system until what comes out at the calipers is clean. You'll 100% need additional brake fluid, and either someone to help or some kind of 'brake bleeder' that basically pressurizes the brake reservoir.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote