follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Squishy feeling movement from rear end during hard corners

Whenever I take long, hard (lol) corners my rear end feels like it's shifting sideways on the lateral axis. Not sure if this is considered body roll since it feels like just lateral movement of the body, not rotation on its longitudinal axis (which is body roll). The tires stay planted when it happens and I don't hear them reaching limits of grip (sliding or squealing sounds). It feels as if the tires are gripping a lot but the chassis is held to the suspension using soft bushings. So the chassis pulls sideways before the tires reach limits of grip. I feel it more in the rear than the front.

What is causing this lateral movement? And can I stop the movement without losing grip? Will roll bars helps?

I have michelin PSS, trd springs, tranny mount, rear subframe inserts, camber bolts, and aligned for max negative front camber (rear had even negative camber, toe is 0).

Thanks!
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The bushings in the rear subframe are known to be very compliant stock, I believe there are a few options for upgrading those, definitely known to add some confidence in what the rear is doing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKbZFknBzh8"]Team VCMC FR-S - AutoX Video 4: Rear Crossmember and Swaybar - YouTube[/ame]
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The bushings in the rear subframe are known to be very compliant stock, I believe there are a few options for upgrading those, definitely known to add some confidence in what the rear is doing.

Thanks but I already have the kdt922 inserts! Maybe I should have gone with the kdt921 instead?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=kdt921

Will the KDA326 help with the lateral movement in the rear? Or is it only good for the camber adjustment?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...CA326&sq=18543

Would the differential mounts help?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...DT925&sq=18545
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...DT924&sq=18544
Old 10-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,280 Times in 2,968 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Will the KDA326 help with the lateral movement in the rear? Or is it only good for the camber adjustment?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...CA326&sq=18543
IMO it helps quite a bit. WL also make a non-adjustable version if you already have adjustable rear LCAs. Makes life a little easier as no one likes using the rear bushings to adjust camber.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-26-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
SVLTE

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you find this happens more toward the corner exit when you're getting back on the throttle? I felt what might have been a similar sensation when I swapped the TRD rear bar back to OEM and had the rebound on my shocks set a little softer for street driving. Accelerating out of a turn the car would squat very noticeably on the outside rear wheel. Felt like it had plenty of grip, but it was just an awkward sensation. Slowing the roll rate with stiffer rebound settings completely eliminated it.
SVLTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVLTE View Post
Do you find this happens more toward the corner exit when you're getting back on the throttle? I felt what might have been a similar sensation when I swapped the TRD rear bar back to OEM and had the rebound on my shocks set a little softer for street driving. Accelerating out of a turn the car would squat very noticeably on the outside rear wheel. Felt like it had plenty of grip, but it was just an awkward sensation. Slowing the roll rate with stiffer rebound settings completely eliminated it.
Sounds like it. So the suspension was set up for the stock tires. No wonder it's so fun with the crappy prius tires! Would the trd bars help me? No $ for coils right now.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
SVLTE

I ran on TRD springs and bars with 245 PSS's for several track days before I got konis. Wasn't until I went with konis and changed the rear bar back to stock (it was a little too tail happy for autocross) that I got that weird feeling running closer to softer rebound rates, so the bars definitely help. You could go with the bars and/or get some nice shocks like koni, bilstein, or cusco to go along with those springs. Unless you really want to start tinkering with your setup, I don't think coilovers are necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVLTE For This Useful Post:
gonzo (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVLTE View Post
I ran on TRD springs and bars with 245 PSS's for several track days before I got konis. Wasn't until I went with konis and changed the rear bar back to stock (it was a little too tail happy for autocross) that I got that weird feeling running closer to softer rebound rates, so the bars definitely help. You could go with the bars and/or get some nice shocks like koni, bilstein, or cusco to go along with those springs. Unless you really want to start tinkering with your setup, I don't think coilovers are necessary.

So would you recommend Koni yellows with TRD springs and stock rear bar for autocross? Thanks a lot for the info and advice. I have 215 PSS's.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
SVLTE

That's at least where the car felt best *for me with rival S's and RE71R's* for autocross. I thought it was better for the street when I had both TRD bars on and could run the dampers a little softer without getting that squat in the rear end.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #10
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Occam's razor: Have you tried higher tire pressures?

I have to run 43+ psi on my car, though admittedly mine is a special case with coilovers and 205/55R16s.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #11
colin88

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy View Post
Occam's razor: Have you tried higher tire pressures?

I have to run 43+ psi on my car, though admittedly mine is a special case with coilovers and 205/55R16s.
43psi ??

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
colin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colin88 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (07-20-2020)