follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
casing

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ATOTO A6 amplifier question.. headunit NOOB

I just installed a ATOTO A6 into my FRS, it came with the proper inline pigtail so I just plugged it in and away she went.

The sound quality is flat and I have no bass. I had the radio on and unplugged the factory amp and there was no change in sound quality so i am assuming the amp is not working with the unit right now.

I see in the inline harness a few wires for me to splice and one says "amplifier turn on" do I just need to splice that wire into the factory "amplifier turn on" wire?

I read the "how to use factory amp" post but it makes no sense to me. I thought the provided harness splices everything for you?
casing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sometimes universal head units work well with OEM systems, but sometimes there is a little tweaking needed. Likley since the twins have the OEM amp, there needs to be a little modification.

From the way you explained it, it sounds like, the "amplifier turn on" wire does need to be connected. Probably similar to the "remote" wire when installing an aftermarket sub/amp system.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
MX-5RACER

Drives: 1999 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by casing View Post
I just installed a ATOTO A6 into my FRS, it came with the proper inline pigtail so I just plugged it in and away she went.

The sound quality is flat and I have no bass. I had the radio on and unplugged the factory amp and there was no change in sound quality so i am assuming the amp is not working with the unit right now.

I see in the inline harness a few wires for me to splice and one says "amplifier turn on" do I just need to splice that wire into the factory "amplifier turn on" wire?

I read the "how to use factory amp" post but it makes no sense to me. I thought the provided harness splices everything for you?
When I installed my A6, I needed to swap one wire in the harness from one pin on the plug to another. Let me see if I can find the post I used to map out the change.
MX-5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
casing

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Using a wiring diagram i found the factory wire labeled "Amplifier turn on" which is a brown wire - Pin 9- in the 10 pin connector of the factory radio harness.

That specfic 10 pin connector that plugs into the A6's inline harness was empty. So I spliced the "amplifier turn on" wire from the A6 Inline harness to the body harness and my amp works now. I have bass and all speakers work! Thanks guys.

Cliff notes: I spliced that "amp turn on" wire from the A6 inline harness to the factory "amp turn on" wire and my amp now works and have bass.
casing is offline   Reply With Quote