follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
MyEvilMonkeys

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Everything checked out. The ball joints were tight and flex smoothly. Checked the torque on all nuts. I ran by the dealer and had the service foreman take a quick circle around the lot and he scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday to see what they can find. He described it as a possible body flexing noise vs more suspension related. We'll see. They were ok with the changes in suspension I made. and to my surprise didn't try blaming those changes immediately. Standby for and update next week.
MyEvilMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
MyEvilMonkeys

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Mystery solved. Apparently the strut bars that attach to the firewall were loose. They have been that way since i bought the car cause I've had the pop noise for a long long time and it's just become intolerably worse. I can't believe i missed it. I had yanked on it several times and nothing appeared loose, but i never bothered checking the torque on them since i had never removed the bars or touched any of those bolts. Dealer was very cool about it, no charge and they didn't treat me like garbage or blame my suspension modifications. Nothing but compliments on the car from the service techs and manager. Not all dealer experiences are bad. Disappointed the suspension shop that did the alignment couldn't find the issue. Anyways, super simple issue resolved. Thanks to everyone that offered help and suggestions!
MyEvilMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyEvilMonkeys For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-16-2019), Superhatch (09-12-2014), WRB-DZA-BRZ (02-25-2016)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEvilMonkeys View Post
Mystery solved. Apparently the strut bars that attach to the firewall were loose. They have been that way since i bought the car cause I've had the pop noise for a long long time and it's just become intolerably worse. I can't believe i missed it. I had yanked on it several times and nothing appeared loose, but i never bothered checking the torque on them since i had never removed the bars or touched any of those bolts. Dealer was very cool about it, no charge and they didn't treat me like garbage or blame my suspension modifications. Nothing but compliments on the car from the service techs and manager. Not all dealer experiences are bad. Disappointed the suspension shop that did the alignment couldn't find the issue. Anyways, super simple issue resolved. Thanks to everyone that offered help and suggestions!
I need to check that, I get the same type of noises over rough roads and low speed sharp bumps. Possibly I have the same issue.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #18
maicolp

Drives: toyota gt86 1st edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i'll check that too
what's the torque needed to tighten those?
maicolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #19
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,981 Times in 16,483 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicolp View Post
i'll check that too
Bubba says - just medium tight.

humfrz for Bubba
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Bubba says - just medium tight.

humfrz for Bubba
Middlin'. Bubba would never say "medium".
humfrz (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,981 Times in 16,483 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Middlin'. Bubba would never say "medium".
Yep, you're correct, my bad for misquoting him -

Just finished a Walmart run - yes, I survived.

How in the hell did I spend $302.96 at WALMART?

I didn't buy any paper products or cigarettes and the only meat I bought was one pound of hamburger and a pound of sausage, to make meatballs for tonight.

Lunch and a nap will make it all better -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #22
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicolp View Post
i'll check that too

Not a lot, 12 ft-lbs (~16Nm). Be careful not to overdo it.
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #23
geezycreezy

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEvilMonkeys View Post
Mystery solved. Apparently the strut bars that attach to the firewall were loose. They have been that way since i bought the car cause I've had the pop noise for a long long time and it's just become intolerably worse. I can't believe i missed it. I had yanked on it several times and nothing appeared loose, but i never bothered checking the torque on them since i had never removed the bars or touched any of those bolts.
Holy... Wow, I’m so glad I found this thread! Granted I didn’t have to go through as long an ordeal as you, but the past two weeks post-supercharger install I’ve been having an audible tapping noise coming from the passenger side wheel well only at low speeds and every time I’d pull into a parking space. Checked all the suspension bolts and at some point sprayed white lithium grease on the top and bottom spring seats of my coilovers. I even have a Perrin swaybar and bushings still waiting to be shipped out by 86Speed (they’re taking forever, but I’m not in such a bind now at least). Then I realized I had to remove the strut bars for the install and only after reading this post did I remember that the bolts and nuts on the firewall side weren’t properly torqued down because of how tight it got back there with the supercharger/hoses in the way.

So, thanks!
geezycreezy is offline   Reply With Quote