follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #15
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,276 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorrr View Post
Quick question then guys, if I had to pick between RCE Yellow Springs or Tein Basis Coilovers. Which one of these two would give me better performance? I’m between these two right now. Thank you!
What year is your car and how many miles on your shocks?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #16
juniorrr

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
What year is your car and how many miles on your shocks?

- Andrew
2015 and i just hit 60k
juniorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
Racecomp Engineering

With that mileage, your shocks are getting a little closer to the end of their lifetime. Still could have some life, but it's worth considering replacing the whole system at this point.

Many are happy with Bilstein B6 or Koni Yellow Sport + a good set of springs like our RCE Yellows. It's a great combo for a fun street car, but not quite as aggressive as a height adjustable coilover with firmer springs. Simple and fun all around setup with quality valving but no height adjustment.

Coilovers under $1k generally have to make some compromises to reach that price point, and they do that with relatively simple valving and limited travel. Stretching to the next level up (RCE SS1 coilovers or the CSG Flex) will get you a lot more bang for your buck. The SS1 ride great on the street with plenty of travel and good + adjustable valving.

- Andrew
wparsons (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
2015 and i just hit 60k

I'd be looking at new(er) OEM shocks, or something aftermarket as well. You'll still get some life out of them, but if you're installing the springs now you'd likely be happier with fresh shocks too.

*edit* @Racecomp Engineering beat me to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-15-2019), Shark_Bait88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #19
juniorrr

Quote:
With that mileage, your shocks are getting a little closer to the end of their lifetime. Still could have some life, but it's worth considering replacing the whole system at this point.

Many are happy with Bilstein B6 or Koni Yellow Sport + a good set of springs like our RCE Yellows. It's a great combo for a fun street car, but not quite as aggressive as a height adjustable coilover with firmer springs. Simple and fun all around setup with quality valving but no height adjustment.

Coilovers under $1k generally have to make some compromises to reach that price point, and they do that with relatively simple valving and limited travel. Stretching to the next level up (RCE SS1 coilovers or the CSG Flex) will get you a lot more bang for your buck. The SS1 ride great on the street with plenty of travel and good + adjustable valving.

- Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'd be looking at new(er) OEM shocks, or something aftermarket as well. You'll still get some life out of them, but if you're installing the springs now you'd likely be happier with fresh shocks too.

*edit* @Racecomp Engineering beat me to it.
I thought shocks were good for 100k+ until you should think of replacing them? But if I was to go with coils I would go with Tein Flex Z at $750 or Tein Basis $470
I’m wondering how the Tein Basis/Flex Z vs koni yellow sport - RCE Yellow springs, which one would be better if the two.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #20
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I’ve never driven or ridden in a car with the Tein Basis set up so I can’t offer any advice for you there.

If you’re leaning toward adjustable coilover setups, RCE has a great reputation so I would give their SS1 system a try. The Flex z’s have also gotten positive reviews from users on the forums.

One thing to consider is this: is the drop provided by the RCE Yellows sufficient for you? If yes, I would consider pairing them with Bilstein B6s. The reason I say that is there are less adjustable components that could potentially fail/loosen/require maintenance. If the drop from springs is sufficient and you are not making adjustments for corner balancing, then an install and forget about it set up is a good way to go, IMO. Plus, you get to retain OE rubber top hats which help reduce potential NVH.

I had a TRD spring on B6 setup that honestly gave me no issues, no noises, no headaches. Literally installed and didn’t have to think about it. Also, the install is easier w the Bilsteins vs Koni (Bilsteins bolt in vs Koni inserts that you need to cut stock strut housing for the fronts).
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asdf For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-15-2019), wparsons (04-16-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #21
juniorrr

Quote:

- Andrew
So right now I’m highly thinking of going with RCE Yellow springs from all the reviews and opinions people have said about these springs but I have a couple questions before I purchase them. And I’m taking my time with buying this cuz I want to get it right the first time
1. Why is it that your spring rates are the same in both the front and the rear compared to most other companies that have it softer in the front and stiffer in the rear?
2. Also does how much you drop matter? Cuz I see you guys only drop .8 rather than go the whole 1inch so I was wondering the reasoning behind that?
3. Do you guys carry any warranty with your springs?
4. Are these springs sufficient for daily fun driving and also the occasional from time to time canyon run?
5. This might be a really dumb question but could I repaint the springs without hurting them?
6. Are there any special discounts/deals that you guys are giving out right now so get these ASAP? Lol

Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #22
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
So right now I’m highly thinking of going with RCE Yellow springs from all the reviews and opinions people have said about these springs but I have a couple questions before I purchase them. And I’m taking my time with buying this cuz I want to get it right the first time
1. Why is it that your spring rates are the same in both the front and the rear compared to most other companies that have it softer in the front and stiffer in the rear?
2. Also does how much you drop matter? Cuz I see you guys only drop .8 rather than go the whole 1inch so I was wondering the reasoning behind that?
3. Do you guys carry any warranty with your springs?
4. Are these springs sufficient for daily fun driving and also the occasional from time to time canyon run?
5. This might be a really dumb question but could I repaint the springs without hurting them?
6. Are there any special discounts/deals that you guys are giving out right now so get these ASAP? Lol

1. The front and rear suspensions of these cars behave differently...with the front strut suspension, more spring rate helps keeps the car off the bumpstops and keeps the geometry of the front suspension in a more functional range. The car is a lot more consistent and easy to drive fast when it is not relying on the bumpstops to support the car.

2. The more mile drop of our springs also helps keep the car off the bumpstops. Excessive lowering is usually not good for handling or ride quality. While some race cars have lower ride heights, they also run much higher spring rates and/or use geometry correction pieces to avoid dynamic camber and roll center issues. We also include replacement shorter bumpstops.

3. Yes, limited lifetime warranty.

4. Yes. You'll get good ride and handling as long as your shocks are in good shape. They're not the hardcore track set up of a good set of coilovers, but they are designed to be a functional upgrade to your suspension beyond just looks!

5. Don't powder coat them and don't strip the existing paint. I'm not sure how a new coat would hold up but you can't see them too much anyway!

6. Now the bad news, we're out of stock and have to wait 2 months for the next production run. Check around to see if any dealers still have a set or we can get your info and save you a set. Or...RCE SS1 coilovers.

- Andrew
wparsons (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I will say this, I've had both Eibach pro-kits and now RCE yellows on my car. Performance and feel is about the same, I like the RCE units a little better. But I don't care what anyone says, the stock shocks are not up to the task. Even my wife, who knows exactly nothing about cars, said she didn't like driving the car before because it was 'bouncy' and then I did something (B6 install) and now it is fun.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #24
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I will say this, I've had both Eibach pro-kits and now RCE yellows on my car. Performance and feel is about the same, I like the RCE units a little better. But I don't care what anyone says, the stock shocks are not up to the task. Even my wife, who knows exactly nothing about cars, said she didn't like driving the car before because it was 'bouncy' and then I did something (B6 install) and now it is fun.

A lot of people complain about the cars being bouncy on the stock springs on 2013/2014 cars too... did she drive it with the stock springs/shocks at all?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #25
toast

Yeah she did. Also, I'm not just basing it on what she said I remember driving it stock and then with springs and it definitely felt underdamped even when the shocks were newer.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
Racecomp Engineering

The 13/14 shocks aren't very good to be quite honest. When the car came out, it was a step up from anything Subaru had done in the past (IMO) at least here in the states. But with time the novelty has worn off. The 15+ shocks are a big step up, and especially over higher mileage 13/14 shocks.

- Andrew
wparsons (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
toast

Quote:
The 13/14 shocks aren't very good to be quite honest. When the car came out, it was a step up from anything Subaru had done in the past (IMO) at least here in the states. But with time the novelty has worn off. The 15+ shocks are a big step up, and especially over higher mileage 13/14 shocks.

- Andrew
Damn, so I could have save $600 and just picked up a used set of stockers from 15+

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #28
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Damn, so I could have save $600 and just picked up a used set of stockers from 15+

Thanks for the info.
Bilstein B6 are another step up from that, so no worries.

- Andrew
wparsons (04-22-2019)