follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That would be an awful lot of shit to suck up in there. I'm trying hard to take a reasonable stance because we both know how much Tcoat loves dealers. I don't want to set him off ranting about self-righteous DIYers again.
It has nothing to do with the dealers. There are many ways that the system could be blocked up enough to LOWER the pressure to a level that will result in bearing failure. It isn't just pick ups or shit in the pan. Ermax has a nice picture of a blocked passage in his engine that spun a bearing. So do many of the others.
But NOOOOOOO it can't be that simple there must be some other explanation that nobody can come up with.
Present me with a theory beyond you "have a feeling that something else is going on here" and I will be all ears (well eyes).
We have scads of evidence that the majority of the engines that failed had excess sealant in them. It isn't coincidence that 99% of the failed bearings have been on 2013s that also had oil leaks and bad seals right from the factory. They had a manufacturing issue that blocked passages and spun bearings. Now they have a repair that involves resealing engine components and SUPRISE they are blocking passages and spinning bearings.

gravitylover (02-26-2019), Teseo (02-27-2019), Ultramaroon (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #44
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,585 Times in 18,965 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has nothing to do with the dealers. There are many ways that the system could be blocked up enough to LOWER the pressure to a level that will result in bearing failure. It isn't just pick ups or shit in the pan. Ermax has a nice picture of a blocked passage in his engine that spun a bearing. So do many of the others.
But NOOOOOOO it can't be that simple there must be some other explanation that nobody can come up with.
Present me with a theory beyond you "have a feeling that something else is going on here" and I will be all ears (well eyes).
We have scads of evidence that the majority of the engines that failed had excess sealant in them. It isn't coincidence that 99% of the failed bearings have been on 2013s that also had oil leaks and bad seals right from the factory. They had a manufacturing issue that blocked passages and spun bearings. Now they have a repair that involves resealing engine components and SUPRISE they are blocking passages and spinning bearings.
I should've followed up after ermax's reply to my last. I got to considering his point about debris blocking the pickup screen and, as much as I want to believe no one would be THAT sloppy, I have to admit the possibility is real. Other possibilities include o-rings being missed when reinstalling the front cover, and overlooking the sealant when installing the camshaft bearing caps. Maybe a rocker drops out of place. Seems like that would make a heluva racket. They are spinning bearings but we can't conclude that it's due to blockage downstream of the pump.

With respect to the images of excess sealant that ermax shared, I maintain that partial blockage of those low-pressure returns are not showstoppers.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #45
CT86
wannabe S2k owner

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So you're saying it's a manufacturing defect and should be covered under Toyota's comprehensive extended warranty?
CT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #46
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT86 View Post
So you're saying it's a manufacturing defect and should be covered under Toyota's comprehensive extended warranty?
The oil system on the car is marginal at best so the slightest restriction, high oil temps or starvation (high g-load with lowish oil) puts it outside of what would be considered adequate pressure. So yeah, IMO a manufacturing defect that is exasperated by bad asymbility practices.

There are whole threads with people trying to get creative with solving the oil pressure issues. The pressure issues haven't been resolved on the current builds either. They just seem to have resolved their issues with assembly at the factory (not so much on engine rebuilds at random dealers though).
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-27-2019)