follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
This is a post requesting recommendations as to which are the better performing UEL catted headers and which vendors are known to be capable of delivering this product in a timely manner while communicating promptly with clients.

My first attempt to acquire one such header resulted to an instantaneous charge to my card followed by a complete void in communications (Email only possible), no invoice and no status. Since this affair is now in its 3rd week I am looking for alternatives.

Thanks all.
Out of curiosity, what website/vendor was it? Let us know, so that we may be warned, for future reference.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #16
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Seriously doubt it. They don't stack
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
But not as if non existing gains at all. Also, something slightly can be gained from secondary decat, which is not detected/used in any way by tune/O2 sensors, which are upstream for that.
What i wanted to find out if it's possible to get at least 50% of catless header gains with doing all the other bits.

Alot of people have tried it, power blocks, intake snorkel, grimmspeed cai. throttle body, tune, catless headerback. Yields are close to 50% but nothing like it and require real fine tuning and don't do as much as header for the torque dip.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #18
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
.. but at same time one won't need to bolt back each year stock header just for inspection and then back aftermarket one. If one doesn't own garage/tools and needs to pay shop for bolting headers forth and back .. it becomes silly & expensive. Less gains are still gains, and one can think that lower performance as just pay for less PITA in ownership. Hence i don't think that such mod configuration has no sense/no own niche at all.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
.. but at same time one won't need to bolt back each year stock header just for inspection and then back aftermarket one. If one doesn't own garage/tools and needs to pay shop for bolting headers forth and back .. it becomes silly & expensive. Less gains are still gains, and one can think that lower performance as just pay for less PITA in ownership. Hence i don't think that such mod configuration has no sense/no own niche at all.

It doesn't make any sense, you plan to pay a shop to install the other non header mods then? If you install the others then it makes sense you have totally the right tools for the job. Otherwise the cost of install on all those non emissions effecting mods are the same as a header install and removal. Also need I mention CAI and some other mods will also have to be CARB approved if you want to be technical?

This is the wrong thread to be considering as such as it doesn't really pertain to OPs question either.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #20
Lantanafrs2

The ft86 speedfactory catted uel has received high marks and there are YouTube videos for reference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Scala (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Pick up a used 2017+ header. They weren't UEL buy will still pass emissions and I bet they'll help performance wise considering the changes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
Out of curiosity, what website/vendor was it? Let us know, so that we may be warned, for future reference.
Sorry but I believe that negative experiences are best resolved by the participants and not taken public.

Re. the rest:

The above link to a JDL catted UEL shows a product that is not listed on the JDL website which only lists uncatted headers. I have tried to communicate with JDL to clarify availability and fitment to the stock exhaust system.

As far as CARB and the CA DMV issue goes, there are certain Zip Codes within six CA counties that require the STAR smog inspection ONLY for change of ownership registration.

Why I seek a catted UEL header while retaining the OEM system aft of it? Noise, sound, sensors, visual inspection and because catback changes are indeed anecdotal as correctly stated by Lantanafrs2.

Thanks go to all.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
J1Avs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry but I believe that negative experiences are best resolved by the participants and not taken public.

Re. the rest:

The above link to a JDL catted UEL shows a product that is not listed on the JDL website which only lists uncatted headers. I have tried to communicate with JDL to clarify availability and fitment to the stock exhaust system.

As far as CARB and the CA DMV issue goes, there are certain Zip Codes within six CA counties that require the STAR smog inspection ONLY for change of ownership registration.

Why I seek a catted UEL header while retaining the OEM system aft of it? Noise, sound, sensors, visual inspection and because catback changes are indeed anecdotal as correctly stated by Lantanafrs2.

Thanks go to all.
JDL does sell a Catted UEL Header and you can have it ceramic coated through them. I literally purchased one directly through Jesse at JDL back in June.

JDL Link: https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-...length-header/
FT86 Speed Factory Link: http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jdl-...l#.W4_9r6Qo-aM

FT86SF has Black and Chrome Ceramic Coating in stock and ready to ship. If you want a different color coating you’ll have to wait for JDL to build it. If thats the case, you are better off going through Jesse at JDL directly. When I reached out to him, they had a Catted UEL waiting to get Ceramic Coated, so I was able to select my finish and had a brand new bent header at my door in about 1.5 weeks.

Can’t say enough of positive things about Jesse over at JDL. Great customer service and very dedicated to his high quality product.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
Scala (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #24
Lantanafrs2

If you can, combine with e85 for max na power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Scala (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #25
Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
If you can, combine with e85 for max na power.
Thanks, I'm well aware of the benefits but it isn't available near me at either location.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #26
Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Can’t say enough of positive things about Jesse over at JDL. Great customer service and very dedicated to his high quality product.
Thank you. I very much agree with you and I have seen samples of their work on their Miata parts.

I just spent 30 min. on the phone with JDL and the short of it is that their catted version is no longer being produced.
The reason is the spotty quality of the cats that they had been using, some lasted and some failed and their vendor was not interested in improving the product.
Given the warranty that JDL provides they could ill afford to continue making them.

Honest people and my thanks and compliments go to them, it is a real high quality family company with high standards.

This is all very nice guys and I thank you all but I'm still looking for that header.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #27
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you. I very much agree with you and I have seen samples of their work on their Miata parts.

I just spent 30 min. on the phone with JDL and the short of it is that their catted version is no longer being produced.
The reason is the spotty quality of the cats that they had been using, some lasted and some failed and their vendor was not interested in improving the product.
Given the warranty that JDL provides they could ill afford to continue making them.

Honest people and my thanks and compliments go to them, it is a real high quality family company with high standards.

This is all very nice guys and I thank you all but I'm still looking for that header.
I think FT86SpeedFactory is the only one left then. Not many companies make catted headers since they don't pass emissions in many places anyway so most just go straight catless.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-05-2018), Scala (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #28
Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I think FT86SpeedFactory is the only one left then. Not many companies make catted headers since they don't pass emissions in many places anyway so most just go straight catless.
You are correct.
JDL has identified a much higher quality cat from another source but its cost would increase the price of their previous catted header by $300+
At this point I am waiting to hear if they are willing to make me a one-off.