follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #29
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I agree with him to an extent. This car should have been like a Type R compared to a GSR Integra, but the changes are not significant enough. The tS is basically a performance package with heavier wheels and a wing, and a couple suspension pieces. The Integra Type R on the other hand stood in it's own category, and is pretty difficult to clone from a mechanical standpoint.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (08-31-2018), Doubletap (08-31-2018), rcm47 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #30
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It’s important to know Doug drives a lot of nice cars he drives the GT3s Lamborghini, Ford GT and lot of other 5-700 hp cars. And when I drove a M3 the power was just all around, it was just a very quick car. The BRZ is nowhere near a powerful car, you can get it to move as it can do up to 150 mph (or whatever) but you can’t get it to move quickly (stock). So I just have fun with it. I don’t worry that it’s not super quick, It’s not important if I’ll do 0-100 less than 10 seconds (it won’t). If you can tease out that and get over it and stop harping on how it’s too slow. I think you can have a good bit of fun on public roads.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #31
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
His rating for the Ts falls in line with cars of a similar category and cost. Having seen all of his other videos, I'd the say his rating criteria is relatively fair and errs on the side of objective. Perhaps it is a tad too predictable and dependent on cost, but what can you do. I'd rather my auto journalists not all have the same viewpoints or make judgement based on strict analysis performed in a spreadsheet.

Also, a lot of journalists are apologists of the 86/ BRZ platform, the Miata, and the like. All of these cars have glaring flaws and I think it's unfair to ignore them when the market is full of less expensive and better cars because we really want to convince people that they need to "get it." But that's me. I'm happy that the imperfections and flaws are always in your face; I would never call my FR-S a good car. It's fun, but I'm not giving it a good score in any other category.

I do see why people would want the Ts for its "Cool Factor." I think it is cool and that it will draw attention. I could do without the wing and would love if they had done something crazy like bore out the block to 2.2 liters and let it rev to 8K or something, but it is what it is.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #32
DrButtDrugs
yerp

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think his assessment is pretty fair. It's a good car and he agrees, but Subaru's lineup for the last decade would have you expecting the STi version to have more power than the non-STi version, and the price difference here sort of agrees (though less costly than the jump from WRX to STi) without showing for it under the hood. I can't recall if he's done an MX-5 RF but I'd be curious if he has the same things to say about its power delivery for a similar price.
DrButtDrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #33
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
MX-5 feels a lot quicker because it weights 500 pounds less, it’s great car but too small inside imo if you are a full size person.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:19 AM   #34
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai-zero View Post
It’s a car you buy if you like the air cooled 911 or the front engined 4 cylinder Porsche type car but don’t want the hassle with a 30 year old.
IIRC the only time when this point was mentioned by the manufacturer.

Goto 3:25

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4DJtHYEfos[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Rai-zero (08-31-2018), TofuJoe (09-01-2018), Vic4uf (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #35
Seasaw

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes, I expected a better score in practicality. At least you have a decent trunk space and you can carry 4 wheels & tires.
I agree, def more practical than most sports cars, should have gotten at least a 5/6. But you have to consider the fact that Doug is reviewing all cars, like the Honda Odyssey (32ft sqft-140 sqft of cargo) which I believe he gave a 10. When you put it in that perspective, I believe the score is somewhat justified.

Fun Factor however should have gotten a bit higher at 7/8, but I can see why he may be biased as he drives super and hyper cars all the time.
Seasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seasaw For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #36
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaw View Post
Fun Factor however should have gotten a bit higher at 7/8, but I can see why he may be biased as he drives super and hyper cars all the time.
I havent personally driven one, but most of the reviews I read about the tS imply that it's not as fun to drive on public roads compared to the regular version. On the track is where the tweaks seem to shine.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #37
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
He must be the sort of gearhead that likes cars but has little to no mechanical knowledge or experience because he makes A LOT of errors in his car reviews and seems pretty clueless about much of what he reviews. His voice is pretty hard to listen to for very long as well. He must be doing something right though because he does have a lot of views on his videos...
You miss the point of what he does totally. He started on Jalopnik, and anyone with a computer and an internet connection can get the details. He is an entertainer first, and that is why people watch him.

He has built up a following entertaining people and doing slightly crazy things.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #38
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,018 Times in 2,338 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm47 View Post
I gave him directions to an awesome twisty mountain road not to far from where he did the review but I guess he didn’t take them.
It was Doug you were talking to. If those directions had more than three steps, he either lost interest while you were still explaining, or tried to follow them and got lost.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #39
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,207 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I havent personally driven one, but most of the reviews I read about the tS imply that it's not as fun to drive on public roads compared to the regular version. On the track is where the tweaks seem to shine.
Well its an FT86, everyone and their dog probably knows how it is on public roads by now. Easy to drive, relatively torqueless (mostly due to the torque dip in the lower RPM band), stiffer ride, mediocre sound insulation, not any more or less fun as any other car really when driven 'normally' unless pushed and tossed around corners.

Then you add the tS tweaks and you make the ride worse for the road cuz now its stiffer and more harsh, but it gives it more athleticism on the track.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #40
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree with him to an extent. This car should have been like a Type R compared to a GSR Integra, but the changes are not significant enough. The tS is basically a performance package with heavier wheels and a wing, and a couple suspension pieces. The Integra Type R on the other hand stood in it's own category, and is pretty difficult to clone from a mechanical standpoint.
No kidding.
For the price, I think even I would have rated the tS worse than the regular BRZ.

But then that's based on my set of priorities - someone who tracks it, or really really loves what the tS offers, would see differently.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #41
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
You miss the point of what he does totally. He started on Jalopnik, and anyone with a computer and an internet connection can get the details. He is an entertainer first, and that is why people watch him.

He has built up a following entertaining people and doing slightly crazy things.
I didn't "miss the point". It was stated that this guy was a big gearhead, but his videos clearly reflect that he isn't really very knowledgeable about the mechanicals and details of the cars that he reviews. He isn't very entertaining and his voice is like nails on a chalkboard, but I do realize that his videos are likely interesting to those who aren't very mechanically inclined and enjoy the mindless videos that so many car vloggers do with titles like "10 things I hate!", "10 things I love!", "why x car is worth $x". If he does really know what he is talking about and is just playing the role of a squealing idiot, I applaud his acting skills.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #42
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
I bet those Pilot Sport 4 tires are just too good.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote