follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #57
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am replacing my clutch and flywheel with the ACT XT Performance Street Kit, went ahead and got the Verus fork and pivot. I will try and remember to update this post if I have any lock out issues. I did read that the stock fork does tend to bend when you upgrade the pressure plate.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trueweltall For This Useful Post:
Pat (07-10-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #58
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Add me to the list.

Replaced my clutch/flywheel/TOB with stock/Exedy OEM ones, and now I can't shift into gear. When I took my transmission off, the fork & spline looked fine. Greased them both before installing everything. Bled the clutch with a entire quart of DOT4 brake fluid just to make sure no air is in the system. Adjusted the clutch pedal to MAXIMUM height just to make sure.. but the clutch isn't disengaging enough for me to shift into gear.

I might try swapping out the slave cylinder (again) just to make sure I didn't get a defective one from Autozone. If that doesn't work, I'll pull the transmission off (again) just to check everything.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #59
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
reeves: funnily, sometimes maximum height is not the best clutch operation wise. After recent gearbox overhaul (synchros upgrade & some bearings change)/clutch change, i needed to reduce a bit pedal dead travel to get ease of gear switch back. As travel adjustment mod is simple, i suggest also to try other settings in range. Maybe it will work for you too.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (07-20-2020)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #60
reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
reeves: funnily, sometimes maximum height is not the best clutch operation wise. After recent gearbox overhaul (synchros upgrade & some bearings change)/clutch change, i needed to reduce a bit pedal dead travel to get ease of gear switch back. As travel adjustment mod is simple, i suggest also to try other settings in range. Maybe it will work for you too.
Thanks, I tried 3 adjustments: One slightly below the brake pedal, as shown on the DIY pedal adjustment, another slightly above the brake pedal height.. and the third at maximum height. All heights were still unable to get the shifter into gear.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #61
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Thanks, I tried 3 adjustments: One slightly below the brake pedal, as shown on the DIY pedal adjustment, another slightly above the brake pedal height.. and the third at maximum height. All heights were still unable to get the shifter into gear.
It might be worthwhile to verify the bore of that new slave cylinder. It should be 3/4 inch. The original is 13/16 inch. If the bore of the new slave cylinder is greater than 13/16, then likely that is the root of your issue. In the swap thread you mentioned that it didn't look the same. It might really be wrong, not just form as is the case with mine.

edit: after catching up with your post in the DIY thread, let's continue here. I don't think the issue lies with the slave cylinder. Just have a friend verify that the clutch fork is moving normally as you press the pedal.

I predict that something is wrong underneath the bell housing. :|

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 07-29-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
reeves (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #62
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
reeves: regarding pedal adjustment i don't look on pedal "position" at all. First i intentionally moved bite point almost before or right after beginning of travel, then started to dial back some dead travel in increments, till i was happy with result, +half turn more. I also was not looking at just basic tests like switch in gears (especially 1st & reverse) when stationary and trying to move forth & back w. clutch only, w/o gas, bet also short driving, trying out all gears.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
reeves (07-29-2018), Ultramaroon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #63
reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
reeves: regarding pedal adjustment i don't look on pedal "position" at all. First i intentionally moved bite point almost before or right after beginning of travel, then started to dial back some dead travel in increments, till i was happy with result, +half turn more. I also was not looking at just basic tests like switch in gears (especially 1st & reverse) when stationary and trying to move forth & back w. clutch only, w/o gas, bet also short driving, trying out all gears.
My clutch won't fully disengage so I can't even focus on bite point yet. I adjusted my pedal to max height just to "make sure" pedal height wasn't the issue... before focusing on other possible causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I predict that something is wrong underneath the bell housing. :|
I might just order the original 13/16 OEM slave cylinder first and try that. Then if that doesn't work, I'll pull the tranny apart again.

I did attempt to shift gears (engine off) while the shifter was wrongly installed a few inches LOWER than it should've been. Not sure if that can break anything, but I didn't get it corrected until @ermax helped me out with a pic of his shifter.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #64
reeves

Quote:
I don't think the issue lies with the slave cylinder. Just have a friend verify that the clutch fork is moving normally as you press the pedal.
|
It moves normally/freely as the clutch is depressed. Like you said though, the cylinder isn't likely the culprit. I'm just swapping out a new one because it's a quicker/cheaper thing to rule out before pulling the tranny apart.
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #65
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
It moves normally/freely as the clutch is depressed. Like you said though, the cylinder isn't likely the culprit. I'm just swapping out a new one because it's a quicker/cheaper thing to rule out before pulling the tranny apart.
The 3/4 in. bore that you have installed now will push the clutch fork 17% further than the stock one.

I doubt that there's anything wrong with your stock one either.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #66
reeves

Quote:
The 3/4 in. bore that you have installed now will push the clutch fork 17% further than the stock one.

I doubt that there's anything wrong with your stock one either.
I gotta order a new OEM one because my original one blew its top off lol.

I forgot to bolt it down (after reassembling the tranny) and when I stepped on the clutch, the copper ring & pin popped out of the cylinder body. It's pretty much toast. The copper part can't be pushed in. It won't even budge now, not even a little wiggle... even on a vice grip.

It's kinda bent upwards too if viewed from the side.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #67
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Well that explains that.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:18 PM   #68
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
It's kinda bent upwards too if viewed from the side.
K gotcha. The piston is jammed crooked. If not for that, it would slip right apart.

Oh, and the piston is aluminum with a yellow anodized finish. The finish adds some toughness to the surface and makes it corrosion resistant. It also gives a visual indication of wear as it's only a couple thousandths of an inch thick.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 07-29-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #69
reeves

I have the Autozone 900061 slave cylinder on right now. Doesn't really make a difference though, it still won't shift into gear. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility that I got a faulty cylinder from them that's all, hence I'm ordering a new OEM cylinder.

Once I'm satisfied the cylinder isn't at fault, then I'll pull the tranny off to see if anything's wrong inside.
Everything I replaced is Exedy OEM (clutch, pressure plate, & flywheel) so I don't know why the clutch isn't disengaging.

And everyone who's had this problem either solved it by buying a new tranny, or they've vanished lol
Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #70
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the Autozone 900061 slave cylinder on right now. Doesn't really make a difference though, it still won't shift into gear. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility that I got a faulty cylinder from them that's all, hence I'm ordering a new OEM cylinder.

Once I'm satisfied the cylinder isn't at fault, then I'll pull the tranny off to see if anything's wrong inside.
Everything I replaced is Exedy OEM (clutch, pressure plate, & flywheel) so I don't know why the clutch isn't disengaging.

And everyone who's had this problem either solved it by buying a new tranny, or they've vanished lol
Does the car shift into gear when the car is off?