follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #1093
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't know that there is a magic setup. Everything comes down to driving style and preference as well as site. I've liked how my car felt with stiff rear swaybars when I drove it that way. Christy convinced me to go with a soft rear bar to settle the car down (if any of you saw my runs at Dixie, you'll know it didn't), and there wasn't time between run groups to switch back to stiff.

I've gone back to stiff in the rear for ZMax. We'll see how it goes. I'm still gonna have to drive my ass off to hang with Mike.
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 AM   #1094
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No one size fits all, for sure. But I guarantee there will be some settings which will be universal, case and point is max front camber for everyone. My suggestion is that, based on testing our cars back to back, the rear bar on hard will be another universal setting.

Front bar on hard will depend on how you can get the car to rotate in the low speed corners. Pulling rear spacers or upping rear pressures might work, as will taking out rear toe.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
Lex_K (03-26-2018), TMF (04-02-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #1095
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Interesting.

I only have 1 event under my belt and I've still got temp tags on the car, but so far, the car does pretty much the opposite of everything I want the car to do.

Looking forward to trying some different settings at Charlotte.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #1096
tony_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
I only have 1 event under my belt and I've still got temp tags on the car, but so far, the car does pretty much the opposite of everything I want the car to do.
This was pretty much us after we put the Falkens on, and some of the settings which work on the car are against conventional wisdom. It takes a bit of adjustment in driving style coming from the MR2, as well.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #1097
chkltcow

Drives: 2013 FRS White w/ cone marks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Those of you who have driven in.... "weather".... how are these tires in standing water. Forecast for Friday morning at ZMax doesn't entirely look promising.
chkltcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #1098
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Completely fine... not as good as a RE71R, but plenty good enough.
chkltcow (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #1099
jorober5

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Better with more tread. I had full tread in Ft. Myers and I was significantly faster than the guys who, in the dry, ended up ahead of me.
jorober5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jorober5 For This Useful Post:
chkltcow (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #1100
BoxCarRacer

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
You guys have fun! Still waiting on my wheels to show up and some SmartStrings
Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #1101
steverife

zMax was fun.

I finally got the car workable for Saturday. Still off the standard set by Mike and I wish they had stuck around to raise the bar even more, but it was a big progress weekend for me.

Really looking forward to Blytheville.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #1102
steverife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_r View Post
Haha, thanks. At soft/hard, full stiff shocks. Works well at this site, probably at other lower grip asphalt lots as well. Rear toe is a big deal on these cars, going from 1/8" total in to 1/4" made a very noticeable difference in stability.
Getting any wheelspin/wheelhop at full stiff, hard bar on the rear?

I tried it at Charlotte and while I loved the balance, I thought I was going to break the car coming out of turns. I definitely like the rear bar at hard, though.

Could what I was getting possibly be the computer interfering?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #1103
jprice130
AutoX Nut

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
zMax was fun.

I finally got the car workable for Saturday. Still off the standard set by Mike and I wish they had stuck around to raise the bar even more, but it was a big progress weekend for me.

Really looking forward to Blytheville.
It was nice to meet you Steve and glad to hear you enjoyed coming out to ZMAX. There will be at least 4-5 of us running locally in SSC at ZMAX this year, so I hope you can join us for more events later this season (of course, that goes for anyone else in the SE too!). A few of us will be making the trip to Bristol in July, so we'll see you then as well.

Last edited by jprice130; 04-02-2018 at 10:58 AM.
jprice130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #1104
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
For the sake of discussion....putting the rear bar on hard, rear struts on hard....and then adding 1/4" of toe-in in the rear seems counter-intuitive.

Granted I haven't driven the FRS in SSC trim yet (Minnesota still has snow on the ground and foretasted for another 3-7 inches by tomorrow), I have driven the car a fair amount in both CS and DS trim. In both CS/DS, the rear was always a bit loose on corner exit, and I was running nearly full soft struts in the rear and stock rear bar in DS (TRD bars f and r in CS). In hindsight, I should have tried adding some toe-in in the rear for more stability.

So on paper for SSC, wouldn't it make sense to run the rear struts on full soft (or somewhere in the middle), rear bar on on soft, and a touch of rear toe-in? I guess the biggest difference between CS/DS trim is that the front Eibach bar is pretty big....perhaps that is throwing off the balance for the rear?

What about rear camber? I'm used to "give me all the negative I can get!" in the front, and the rear is, "you get what you get!"
Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #1105
tony_r

It totally is and that's what I said a few pages back. Setting up this car is backwards. Our setup on BFGs was totally opposite. The Falkens don't take big movements well, or multiple inputs. Hard rear bar keeps it off the rear stops for the most part, big rebound softens the movement all around. Works on asphalt well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (04-02-2018), TMF (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #1106
steverife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
For the sake of discussion....putting the rear bar on hard, rear struts on hard....and then adding 1/4" of toe-in in the rear seems counter-intuitive.

Granted I haven't driven the FRS in SSC trim yet (Minnesota still has snow on the ground and foretasted for another 3-7 inches by tomorrow), I have driven the car a fair amount in both CS and DS trim. In both CS/DS, the rear was always a bit loose on corner exit, and I was running nearly full soft struts in the rear and stock rear bar in DS (TRD bars f and r in CS). In hindsight, I should have tried adding some toe-in in the rear for more stability.

So on paper for SSC, wouldn't it make sense to run the rear struts on full soft (or somewhere in the middle), rear bar on on soft, and a touch of rear toe-in? I guess the biggest difference between CS/DS trim is that the front Eibach bar is pretty big....perhaps that is throwing off the balance for the rear?

What about rear camber? I'm used to "give me all the negative I can get!" in the front, and the rear is, "you get what you get!"
That is where I started with the car in Dixie and the car basically curbstomped puppies and took teddy bears from sick kids on exit.

A big drop on rear pressures and going full stiff on rebound upgraded the car to too loose. Going hard on rear bar gave the car controllable rotation mid-corner and on exit.
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
TMF (04-02-2018)