follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #3123
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,479 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Isn't everything attached to the subframe? Though thrust angle could be different.
Correct. It's not like the front where shifting the subframe can correct for "lopsided" camber issues.

With thrust angle being wrong every time you're off and on throttle the rear will move around in strange ways though
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
cjd (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #3124
scirocco78

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
I put those bushings in not too long ago also. I dont recall there being any leeway on reassembly. So I'm not sure what you mean about the sub frame not being straight. Maybe I missed something?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree. I thought the same thing.
When I measured down the side of the car I found the rear subframe was shifted 1/4" to the left.
I had to put my back against the wall and push against the wheel until the subframe "popped" and moved.
scirocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scirocco78 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #3125
MoarTorqs
***** Lurker

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Damn, you're right. I got a slightly different measure than you did, about 2mm diameter increase on the metal and the polyurethane.
The metal sleeve has a larger OD but I was hoping the larger diameter of poly would offset that so you'd have a similar poly/metal content but the SPC is theoretically 'stiffer' and therefore not even legal by the letter of the law.

But the fact that I nailed my rear alignment in my garage in <1 hour last night before today's test n' tune made it worth it.

calculations with some sweet powerpoint engineering:
minor update, metal/poly makes a bit more sense from a 'is there more metal than squishy stuff comparison standpoint'
Metal/Poly: OE=0.7 SPC =0.77
You could go in and calculate an actual percentage for the whole thing but you'll get the same net result.

(damn, I should have put *not to scale on the bottom)
With the SPC rear LCA's, you can get the DIF brand LCA bushings to make them legal. They are sold by FRSport and were developed specifically because the SPC bushings didn't meet the rules...

Here's a link if it helps...
https://frsport.com/Street-Touring-S..._p_445911.html
MoarTorqs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoarTorqs For This Useful Post:
cjd (03-12-2018), trvth (03-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #3126
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarTorqs View Post
With the SPC rear LCA's, you can get the DIF brand LCA bushings to make them legal. They are sold by FRSport and were developed specifically because the SPC bushings didn't meet the rules...

Here's a link if it helps...
https://frsport.com/Street-Touring-S..._p_445911.html
We're talking the toe arms. They're one of two with a bushing, and half the price of the Whiteline... They're also SSC parts so there was hope...

Last edited by cjd; 03-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #3127
MoarTorqs
***** Lurker

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
We're talking the toe arms. They're one of two with a bushing, and half the price of the Whiteline... They're also SSC oars so there was hope...
OOPS, I missed the toe arm part... Sorry about that, It would be nice if toe arms were allowed in ST
MoarTorqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #3128
Mr.Scion

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Hi Everyone!

Im pretty new to forums, so I figured I would tell all you fine people about my nightmare STX build.

So I am coming from a well set up D street FRS, and for reasons I dont know, I did not want to go SSC (probably the lack of torquedip remedy, and the tires)

My original plan was to make a STX car that was just prepared enough to be competitive. I figured I was halfway there because I have MCS coilovers that were D street set up, and a Strano FSB.

I started to gather everything I needed to convert the coilovers, so I bough the raceseng top hats with all the bushings I needed for the MCS (or so I thought). I decided to go with 2.25" 450# square spring setup. My plan was to keep the stock RLCAs, and stock rear tophats. Well, after the initial install attempt, I ordered the wrong bushing for the MCS front shafts, and I realized that the rear tophats would be grossly inadequate. I ordered the raceseng rear 1" tophats and the correct front bushing.

On to the exhaust. Pretty straightforward. Tomei UEL, Tanabe OP, Berk catted FP, HKS single exit catback.

I decided to order the raceseng crank pulley. (yay?)
Install time for the crank pulley. Bolt came out, however the little spacer thing came out with it about halfway. It didnt want to go back in (damn). Also, for some reason when the crank bolt was being loosened, the engine was turning (car was in 6th gear w/ebrake on) (DAMN). Well after 40k miles, a couple of Pro solos and about 1,000 autocross launches, the stock clutch decided to no clutch anymore (DAMN DAMN).

So, pull the engine, pull the timing cover. Ordered new OEM timing gear and spacer key thingy. Found a wicked oil leak between the upper oil pan. (DAMN DAMN DAMN) decided to get it all fixed.

New OEM clutch and TOB from dealer. Also new OEM spark plugs (Why not). Engine it out, so Perrin motormounts, and whiteline steering rack bushings.

At this point, Im thinking to myself just go all in. Ordered the Verus/Velox rear LCAS (stx legal), Installed whiteline rear subframe inserts, differential inserts, transmission insert.

Ordered stoptech braided lines and installed them also.

My wheel setup is 949 racing 6UL with 245/40 stones.

I have an appointment with Delicious for a custom tune.

Im sure im missing something.

Anyways. Heres to a good season.

-Alex
Mr.Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Scion For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-13-2018), justint5387 (03-13-2018), Simmons (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #3129
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scion View Post
Hi Everyone!

Im pretty new to forums, so I figured I would tell all you fine people about my nightmare STX build.

So I am coming from a well set up D street FRS, and for reasons I dont know, I did not want to go SSC (probably the lack of torquedip remedy, and the tires)

My original plan was to make a STX car that was just prepared enough to be competitive. I figured I was halfway there because I have MCS coilovers that were D street set up, and a Strano FSB.

I started to gather everything I needed to convert the coilovers, so I bough the raceseng top hats with all the bushings I needed for the MCS (or so I thought). I decided to go with 2.25" 450# square spring setup. My plan was to keep the stock RLCAs, and stock rear tophats. Well, after the initial install attempt, I ordered the wrong bushing for the MCS front shafts, and I realized that the rear tophats would be grossly inadequate. I ordered the raceseng rear 1" tophats and the correct front bushing.

On to the exhaust. Pretty straightforward. Tomei UEL, Tanabe OP, Berk catted FP, HKS single exit catback.

I decided to order the raceseng crank pulley. (yay?)
Install time for the crank pulley. Bolt came out, however the little spacer thing came out with it about halfway. It didnt want to go back in (damn). Also, for some reason when the crank bolt was being loosened, the engine was turning (car was in 6th gear w/ebrake on) (DAMN). Well after 40k miles, a couple of Pro solos and about 1,000 autocross launches, the stock clutch decided to no clutch anymore (DAMN DAMN).

So, pull the engine, pull the timing cover. Ordered new OEM timing gear and spacer key thingy. Found a wicked oil leak between the upper oil pan. (DAMN DAMN DAMN) decided to get it all fixed.

New OEM clutch and TOB from dealer. Also new OEM spark plugs (Why not). Engine it out, so Perrin motormounts, and whiteline steering rack bushings.

At this point, Im thinking to myself just go all in. Ordered the Verus/Velox rear LCAS (stx legal), Installed whiteline rear subframe inserts, differential inserts, transmission insert.

Ordered stoptech braided lines and installed them also.

My wheel setup is 949 racing 6UL with 245/40 stones.

I have an appointment with Delicious for a custom tune.

Im sure im missing something.

Anyways. Heres to a good season.

-Alex

That’s what you get for going balls out on a pulley :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-13-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #3130
FrostedFlakes

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
I am running KW Clubsports with factory recommended settings and just left it for my current auto cross. Although I like the way they feel, not sure if it is the best settings for auto cross and track.

Just curious if anyone is running any other settings with success?

Thanks
FrostedFlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #3131
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedFlakes View Post
I am running KW Clubsports with factory recommended settings and just left it for my current auto cross. Although I like the way they feel, not sure if it is the best settings for auto cross and track.

Just curious if anyone is running any other settings with success?

Thanks
I don't think there are any "best" settings. Everyone drive a little different and there are too many variables (alignment, sway bar, surface, tires, etc)
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #3132
Mr.Scion

Drives: 2014 scion frs
A few questions
Who is running the Mann rear bar? - What setting should I start out on?
Who is running MCS Non-remotes? - Are you having fitment issues trying to run caster in the front? The bottom of the strut is hitting my endlinks. I have a strano FSB. I ordered a Perrin FSB to see if that fixes it.
Mr.Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Scion For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #3133
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
A few questions
Based on everything I've read, full stiff. Which seems a little silly because that's the same as the '13-'16 14mm bar, as I understand it...

What works best depends on your spring rates and front swaybar as well, of course. And alignment, tire choice, surface conditions...
DocWalt (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #3134
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
A few questions
Who is running MCS Non-remotes? - Are you having fitment issues trying to run caster in the front? The bottom of the strut is hitting my endlinks. I have a strano FSB. I ordered a Perrin FSB to see if that fixes it.
What cjd said. It depends on your spring rates, front bar, etc.

I do have MCS two-way non-remotes. I have the Whiteline 22mm front bar and endlinks and am not hitting anything.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #3135
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have the Mann bar. Running it on middle setting right now.

I run whiteline endlinks but KLC180-195 which is not the brz replacement ones, but a bit shorter. Have run them with MCS 1WNR and now 2WR with Strano bar, and now with Perrin bar with no issues.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-19-2018), Mr.Scion (03-20-2018), tigermack (03-27-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #3136
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Start on the stiffest setting and try middle then softest. You don’t know what works best for your setup until you try all the settings.
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bslate3 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-19-2018)