follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #253
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I have two brothers-in-law that live in Austin. They both have bands ...... and real jobs ....

Ya, if you're not too tall, the Miata RF would be a fun car. I had an NC for several years. Good cars.

humfrz
I’m not short, that’s my issue. I’m 6’2 about 180, not wide. I test drove RF a couple months ago, actually learned manual in new RF believe it or not. I fit, but it’s fairly tight. I found solid place here that helps you select bucket seats and will install in order to give me headspace and knee. I wouldn’t do it with new RF though, maybe NC or ND used ST. Your take on NC vs. twins for fun dd?
Coachrhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coachrhino11 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #254
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
I’m not short, that’s my issue. I’m 6’2 about 180, not wide. I test drove RF a couple months ago, actually learned manual in new RF believe it or not. I fit, but it’s fairly tight. I found solid place here that helps you select bucket seats and will install in order to give me headspace and knee. I wouldn’t do it with new RF though, maybe NC or ND used ST. Your take on NC vs. twins for fun dd?
We had our NC for 8 years and 88,000 miles. mrs humfrz used it as a DD for a 4 mile round trip to her school, 5 days a week. She got along fine with it. The rest of the miles were long haul touring miles, that I drove.

Why did we sell the NC and buy the FR-S ..?? mrs humfrz was a real sport when it came to top down driving from all over the west coast to Saint Louis and most states in between, and the two western provinces of Canada.

We learned to pack light and could go for over two weeks at a time.

However, as we were in our late 60s, the "wind in the hair" experience wore thin with her. You see, I rarely put the top up ......

So, it came time for a coupe, with a bit more interior room and a larger trunk and a little quieter. I still wanted an economical, quick, small, fun car to drive and the FR-S has fit the bill.

So, my take is that if you want a roadster, get a Miata; if you want a coupe, get an 86.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Coachrhino11 (03-01-2018), new2subaru (03-01-2018), Sapphireho (03-06-2018), Tcoat (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #255
Coachrhino11

Quote:
We had our NC for 8 years and 88,000 miles. mrs humfrz used it as a DD for a 4 mile round trip to her school, 5 days a week. She got along fine with it. The rest of the miles were long haul touring miles, that I drove.

Why did we sell the NC and buy the FR-S ..?? mrs humfrz was a real sport when it came to top down driving from all over the west coast to Saint Louis and most states in between, and the two western provinces of Canada.

We learned to pack light and could go for over two weeks at a time.

However, as we were in our late 60s, the "wind in the hair" experience wore thin with her. You see, I rarely put the top up ......

So, it came time for a coupe, with a bit more interior room and a larger trunk and a little quieter. I still wanted an economical, quick, small, fun car to drive and the FR-S has fit the bill.

So, my take is that if you want a roadster, get a Miata; if you want a coupe, get an 86.

humfrz
Sounds like you had great life experiences with wife, hope I get that one day with mine. I’ll test drive both, I know which I’ll fit better in. Honestly, I just don’t like smiley NC, it would have to be newer style.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coachrhino11 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #256
SHWNBRZ

Drives: '08 MX5 6MT & '15 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Traded in the Supercharged BRZ for a Focus RS. Back to making payments....

Kept my 08 NC....

Why? Trade in value was the biggest reason. 3 year old car was worth more than my 10 year old car.

Now I have another vehicle with 4 doors and a hatchback. Other one is an 04 Forester XT.

With the BRZ, driving position is on point...the haunches over the fenders and the body lines are super sexy. Nice clutch feel, shifter feel, steering feel.....pretty good fuel efficiency.

Even if the NC had as good a trade in value as the BRZ...I’d have kept it instead of the BRZ. Why? It’s more fun. I have two other “more practical” faster cars...I don’t need the room really so it was an easy decision to make.

Had a few people ask me if I missed my old car (who one of our local group members got for a very good price) after it showed up at the last monthly 86 meet...my response: “Nope. I’ve had some good memories with it, but I don’t particularly miss it.”

Now...if I didn’t have the NC....I’d most likely have missed it...But given the chance to spend money on a fun car, I’d rather spend 10k on a used NC than $15k on a used 86. Cheap fun. Reliable engine. The top goes down and comes back up in 12 seconds. Maybe one day I’ll pick up another 86...just not in the near future.

If it’s gonna be your only car....I’d recommend the 86. It may not be as fun as the Miata (or some would argue that it is)....but everyone would tell you that it’s the one that would be easier to live with.
SHWNBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHWNBRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-01-2018), Vic4uf (03-04-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #257
humfrz

Quote:
Sounds like you had great life experiences with wife, hope I get that one day with mine. I’ll test drive both, I know which I’ll fit better in. Honestly, I just don’t like smiley NC, it would have to be newer style.
Yep, we had that window of opportunity for about 5 years, between when our kids had left home and when our grandchildren arrived. mrs humfrz was a school teacher, so she had the summers off; I was a real estate broker, with a partner, to cover the business, so we bought a new roadster and toured the country over several summers .....

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Coachrhino11 (03-03-2018), Vic4uf (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #258
Coachrhino11

Quote:
Yep, we had that window of opportunity for about 5 years, between when our kids had left home and when our grandchildren arrived. mrs humfrz was a school teacher, so she had the summers off; I was a real estate broker, with a partner, to cover the business, so we bought a new roadster and toured the country over several summers .....

humfrz
That’s sweet! Congrats, hoping to emulate that experience down road.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #259
humfrz

Quote:
That’s sweet! Congrats, hoping to emulate that experience down road.
I would suggest that you do that before you're 70 years old. I have found that after 70, I became much less of a "road warrior" .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
g e (03-05-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #260
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
the KBB value of my '13 with 125k miles is only $6000. That's the same as a 2012 Camry. lol
Damn. At least the ole boxer is still chugging. I feel like I'm in it until the wheels fall of here going on 80k miles. Don't see much ROI at this point
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #261
pkolanko

Drives: 2015 White Series.Blue BRZ
At 4-5 years old, you are basically trying to sell/trade-in a vehicle at it lowest cost. The depreciation curve is extremely sharp up until that time and then it starts to slow down and eventually, if it's a low production, quality car, go back up. Just look at the honda s2000 as a perfect example of what the twins will do. You can basically sell a 10-year old s2000 with low miles in stock condition for what you paid for it. Once production ceases on the twins, which it most likely will in the near future, you can wait a few years and that value will go back up. People love nostalgia and 10-15 years from now, all the 20-somethings will be in their 30s-40s with a surplus of cash and wanting to relive their youth when they had an inexpensive car that was super fun to drive.
pkolanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #262
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I would suggest that you do that before you're 70 years old. I have found that after 70, I became much less of a "road warrior" .......

humfrz
Hard to be a road warrior when you have to pee every 97 minutes.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #263
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
Hard to be a road warrior when you have to pee every 97 minutes.
THAT would be a stretch ......

humfrz
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #264
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkolanko View Post
At 4-5 years old, you are basically trying to sell/trade-in a vehicle at it lowest cost. The depreciation curve is extremely sharp up until that time and then it starts to slow down and eventually, if it's a low production, quality car, go back up. Just look at the honda s2000 as a perfect example of what the twins will do. You can basically sell a 10-year old s2000 with low miles in stock condition for what you paid for it. Once production ceases on the twins, which it most likely will in the near future, you can wait a few years and that value will go back up. People love nostalgia and 10-15 years from now, all the 20-somethings will be in their 30s-40s with a surplus of cash and wanting to relive their youth when they had an inexpensive car that was super fun to drive.

The Honda S2000 managed to sell over 10,000 units in the states in only one of its production years, and just barely so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...=1520358397942

The Toyota has done this every year except 2016 and 2017, often by quite a bit. They've also already out-sold the S2000 over significantly fewer years even if production were to stop right now. Notice, this isn't even including BRZ sales figures.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/05...sales-figures/

It is going to take quite a bit of extra demand to get the twins to the point where they hold their value like an S2000. I don't see that happening when the closest thing to a competitor that the S2000 has is the slower, less desirable Miata. Meanwhile, the Genesis coupe and 240SX both sold in large numbers and both fit directly into the smaller fixed roof coupe category, with other options like pony cars and used 911's if one wants to branch out a little more.

The only way any trim of twin is ever going to be worth something is if they offer a version with forced induction or a larger engine, and they keep the production numbers down.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #265
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
It is going to take quite a bit of extra demand to get the twins to the point where they hold their value like an S2000. I don't see that happening when the closest thing to a competitor that the S2000 has is the slower, less desirable Miata. Meanwhile, the Genesis coupe and 240SX both sold in large numbers and both fit directly into the smaller fixed roof coupe category, with other options like pony cars and used 911's if one wants to branch out a little more.

I agree, don't see any real appreciation in the twins' future. I think they are lot more like the 240sx or DSM than the S2000. At 20 years old some will be worth significantly more percentage-wise, but that is relative. A 1 owner original DSM is worth 300% more than the average 20 teenage-owner molested example...but that still puts the best examples in the $4k-$6K range, and buyers in that market are few and far between.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCA1ST For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #266
pkolanko

Drives: 2015 White Series.Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
The Honda S2000 managed to sell over 10,000 units in the states in only one of its production years, and just barely so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...=1520358397942

The Toyota has done this every year except 2016 and 2017, often by quite a bit. They've also already out-sold the S2000 over significantly fewer years even if production were to stop right now. Notice, this isn't even including BRZ sales figures.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/05...sales-figures/

The only way any trim of twin is ever going to be worth something is if they offer a version with forced induction or a larger engine, and they keep the production numbers down.
My mistake, I thought I was in the BRZ forum. I agree the FR-S is going to be terrible for future collectors. The only one to hold value will be the BRZ IMO. It's like the 5.4 L Raptor or a 6-cyclinder Mustang... no one wants the lower end version. Even though the FR-S and BRZ are identical mechanically I just think a buyer would prefer the BRZ 10 years from now. I see my stock BRZ (2015 series.blue) maintaining a respectable value with no mods, no winter or rain driving, and not being raced. The reason why the S2000 held it's valuable is more because it's almost impossible to find one in decent shape, with low miles, that hasn't been heavily modded. The same will be the case for the BRZ. Only time will tell though.
pkolanko is offline   Reply With Quote