follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #43
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
The way motor oil looks doesn't tell you anything about the condition of the oil. And the factory fill is not drained at the factory and the car is indeed delivered to the dealer's lot with a sump of Idemitsu factory fill, which is higher in moly and ZDDP than the dealer fill.

Ty for the clarification.. any hard evidence that they don't change oil from break-in procedure post manufacturing, but before shipment/installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post
Sorry, i lost it in your last sentence. So when is recommended to change the first oils change in a 2015 brz?
6k miles like I laid out for you earlier. Perhaps even 7.5k as per the quick ref guide. Oil turns color the minute it is exposed to a thermal reaction. Like the dude said, you are unable to determine the true quality/state of your oil by a visual inspection alone.

By the way it doesn't matter how many miles you drive every day. Miles are miles... unless it's miles spread over a long period of time (more than a year), or unless you track your car in which maintenance parts should be measured in heat cycles.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
akahenry (04-14-2015), Jfheisenberg (03-16-2015)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #44
ArgentoAtl

Drives: Argento manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is a stale post, but it gave me some context for a similar question. My 2013 FRS manual recommends oil changes every 7500 miles and I learned that other Toyota cars are recommending every 10000 miles. So I went to the Toyota dealer and together a sales agent and I dug out the manual on a new 86. To my surprise the 86 still recommends every 7500 miles even though a service writer at the dealership had said his first reaction was that 10000 miles would be fine because FRS uses the 0-20w oil which most Toyotas use and they are good for 10000. So on the way home I stopped at my neighborhood Subaru dealer and the server writer told me that Subaru recommends a 6000 mile interval on boxers because the cylinders are horizontal, not vertical, and the oil tends to rest differently in them.

To me this is likely more "opinion" rather than "fact" but it just goes to show each person who weighs in has a different perspective, and that seems to be true in this thread as well. I guess I'll keep with the 7500 for now.

(Can other BRZ owners confirm the 6000 recommendation from Subaru?)

Brian in Atlanta
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #45
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoAtl View Post
This is a stale post, but it gave me some context for a similar question. My 2013 FRS manual recommends oil changes every 7500 miles and I learned that other Toyota cars are recommending every 10000 miles. So I went to the Toyota dealer and together a sales agent and I dug out the manual on a new 86. To my surprise the 86 still recommends every 7500 miles even though a service writer at the dealership had said his first reaction was that 10000 miles would be fine because FRS uses the 0-20w oil which most Toyotas use and they are good for 10000. So on the way home I stopped at my neighborhood Subaru dealer and the server writer told me that Subaru recommends a 6000 mile interval on boxers because the cylinders are horizontal, not vertical, and the oil tends to rest differently in them.

To me this is likely more "opinion" rather than "fact" but it just goes to show each person who weighs in has a different perspective, and that seems to be true in this thread as well. I guess I'll keep with the 7500 for now.

Brian in Atlanta
Yes, i have a 2015 BRZ and the manual states a 6000 mile oil change interval. The 2013-2014 BRZ's also had the 7500 oil change interval i believe. You should probably listen to Subaru since it is their engine...
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
ArgentoAtl (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #46
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I got my results back from my UOA after 6k miles and the TBN says it had lots of life left. That being said, I still change my oil every 6-7k.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #47
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
a service writer at the dealership had said his first reaction was that 10000 miles would be fine because FRS uses the 0-20w oil which most Toyotas use and they are good for 10000.
It's not a Toyota engine, so typical Toyota engine maintenance guidelines don't apply.

Quote:
the server writer told me that Subaru recommends a 6000 mile interval on boxers because the cylinders are horizontal, not vertical, and the oil tends to rest differently in them.
Horseshit. Porsche currently reccommends a 20k oil change interval on their new cars. Oil change intervals have been developed for decades through extensive testing and depend entirely on the spec of oil the engine is designed for and how the engine is designed. Cylinder orientation is about as relevant as sexual orientation to the end users choice of lubrication. Do people get it wrong sometimes? Sure (I wouldn't do the BMW recommended 15k interval, nor the Porsche 20k, sticking closer to 10k)

Subaru of America (not the engineers who designed the engine) changed ALL of their models to have a 6k oil change interval entirely to simplify their material and to "not confuse customers" or whatever excuse they gave.

It's not the kind of change that gets a press release:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...odel-year.html

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/subar...ion-1600566355

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69840

Changing at 6k vs. 7.5k is a drop in the bucket, nobody will notice the difference, you do you, but the service writers typically don't know anything more than what the computer tells them, and in my experience it's all crap no better than your old Uncle telling you to change oil every 3k miles and babbling on about how his 20 year old truck with 70k miles on it has the oil come out pristine every 6 months he changes it or whatever.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ArgentoAtl (02-08-2018), Qadthane (02-07-2018), Tcoat (02-07-2018), Teseo (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #48
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I've also been using synthetic oil for years and you're wasting money if you change the oil that early. Goes right back to checking your oil with your own eyes. My last 4 oil changes in my car weren't even real dark at 9000 miles, but that will change soon when I go S/C.

Three best things you can do for your car: Use good gas, use great oil, and check your fluids constantly.
I agree!!!. 4th&5th drop in air filter and nitrogen in tires and check tire pressures.
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #49
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
My 17 86 says every 7500 miles or 7.5 months in the OM. When I was braking in my car properly I payed to have the oil changed at the dealership and I supplied the trd oil filter. I made sure that the service did not go on the Toyota care. At my first 7500miles/months they changed it under the Toyota care. Now the next time I go in I will have them put in 5w30 as I live in the desert. Once my car is out of Toyota care I will change it my self. Now if your car is FI or you track your car you should change it more often around every 4-5 track sessions depending on how hard you push it. In this case you would have a higher weight oil any way. The reason Subaru did 5-6k is for the FI the turbos get ya. I have had several Subies and the subie dealer out here had free oil changes for life of car if you bought it there. I always brought in my own oil though and they still did it.

So if you don’t have a warranty change it yourself and put in what oil works for your application and time frame.
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #50
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I say check your own oil and make that decision. Could be they want more money in their service department for oil changes. I would change at that interval for FI. N/A on good full synthetic oil can go 10k depending on how the car is driven.

My 2 cents.
Can this please stop? Subaru doesn't make any money when someone takes their car to a Subaru dealership. The person who owns the dealership does
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:13 AM   #51
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Brian in Atlanta
My service manual says 6000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote