follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
pooyab

Drives: 2016 FRS RS 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Borla UEL Headers and Catback Request

Anyone running a full Borla system? (Their UEL headers and their catback)

I'm looking for a deeper tone (more subaru like) and I like the Borla system on my sister's 335i. A couple videos show just the catback and it seems to sound pretty good but I can't find anything of both paired together.
pooyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
Anyone running a full Borla system? (Their UEL headers and their catback)

I'm looking for a deeper tone (more subaru like) and I like the Borla system on my sister's 335i. A couple videos show just the catback and it seems to sound pretty good but I can't find anything of both paired together.
honestly any UEL header will get you the subie rumble. The difference in brands at this point is going to be quality of the part and how much rasp it generates. You're going to want to look at how thick the header material is and how good the welds are.

Some good companies are JDL, Tomei, Nameless, and Ace.

I just the JDL headers myself paired with a nameless axelback and i get some real nice low rumble.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
pooyab

Drives: 2016 FRS RS 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
honestly any UEL header will get you the subie rumble. The difference in brands at this point is going to be quality of the part and how much rasp it generates. You're going to want to look at how thick the header material is and how good the welds are.

I just the JDL headers myself paired with a nameless axelback and i get some real nice low rumble.
Some searching after posting this showed a decent number of people having issues with the Borla header. I'll probably go with one of the other brand you recommended. I'll see which has least rasp.
I was mainly interested in Borla because my friend is a dealer so I could've had the part at wholesale. That saving isn't worth the potential issues for me though. I'll look around to see if people had the same issues with their catback.
pooyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,364 Times in 7,403 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Don't believe Nameless or Ace make UEL's.
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
Some searching after posting this showed a decent number of people having issues with the Borla header. I'll probably go with one of the other brand you recommended. I'll see which has least rasp.
I was mainly interested in Borla because my friend is a dealer so I could've had the part at wholesale. That saving isn't worth the potential issues for me though. I'll look around to see if people had the same issues with their catback.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

JDL, Tomei, or Gruppe-S are the decent ones, nameless and Ace I believe are el and 4-2-1 respectively. Also I'm not even sure the nameless one is sold anymore. Borla build quality is still debatable for our header, the collector and welds seem to be shoddy.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Yeh my bad, i was more kinda throwing out good name brands. Although as stated i am not sure if Nameless even makes theirs anymore.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote