follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2018, 04:40 AM   #15
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If he just spun a bearing then the motor should be simple to rebuild. Probably it would be cheaper to rebuild and keep his SC kit, or cheaper to sell the SC kit and upgrade to a turbo kit to make use of the rebuild potential, than it would be to sell a blown motor then buy a F20/K motor that he has no guarantee is in good condition then sell his SC kit and buy a new SC or turbo kit for the F20 or K motor, plus the cost of the swap kit. Maybe and only maybe if he wanted like 500+ hp would the swap be reasonable for long term reliability.

@Docmattic ...The other option is do a rebuild, keep the SC kit, upgrade to E85 and enjoy the reliable hp without trying to test the limits of your rebuild.
I actually pushed back on them today. Originally I had been quoted for a top spec rebuild. I had interpreted this as the cost of the build I needed for the sprintex 210 kit. I rang today and said today could they do it any cheaper. Got told that was a quote for the absolute best of everything.... So asked them to do a quote using the best bang for buck parts. He will get back to me on price but thinks it will be rated to 300kw (400 hp) atw with what he has in mind. I told him my budget is 8k so hopefully we gets close. He Thinks is tight but doable. Not a bad option...... Better than 15k.

Does anyone know the power a sprintex 335 kit can do on a built motor on pump gas? I have the 210 kit but if I can handle way more after this build it's an easy swap.

Otherwise it will probably be a Renault rs265 for me. Chris Evans tested one in his best performance cars of 2014 and it beat a BMW m3 around the track... Pretty nuts. Can get 1 in good knick for 19k.......

Its fwd but handles like the 86 comes 2l turbo stock. I know USA does not get these but look them up on YouTube.

Last edited by Docmattic; 01-31-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Docmattic For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You could assemble a really nice longblock here in the states for much less than 8k. If that's your budget for just the engine you should be getting a very capable motor.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,678 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You could assemble a really nice longblock here in the states for much less than 8k. If that's your budget for just the engine you should be getting a very capable motor.
Australian dollar is on par with the canadian dollar so when he says 8K, it's more like 5.5K in USD
Summerwolf (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Australian dollar is on par with the canadian dollar so when he says 8K, it's more like 5.5K in USD
No. It is still $8K since he is not paying in US$. Exchange rates do not apply when setting value in a different country. Even if it did at the current rate it would be $6,500 not $5,500
Summerwolf (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Why I said "in the states."

Although I am not too sure how hard components are to get or the general performance shop situation is in australia. It doesn't seem like it's too much different than US.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Why I said "in the states."

Although I am not too sure how hard components are to get or the general performance shop situation is in australia. It doesn't seem like it's too much different than US.
The real killer is shipping costs. For example I can have a model kit shipped from anywhere in the world to Detroit for around $10. To have that exact same thing shipped to Windsor (directly across the river from Detroit) the shipping will start at about $50 and go up from there. That does not even include and Canadian taxes, duties or fees but is just shipping. Having something shipped from the US is the worst of all with charges up to $100. In this age of online purchases these charges can be a killer for a project.
Dadhawk (01-31-2018), Ultramaroon (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM   #21
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The real killer is shipping costs. For example I can have a model kit shipped from anywhere in the world to Detroit for around $10. To have that exact same thing shipped to Windsor (directly across the river from Detroit) the shipping will start at about $50 and go up from there. That does not even include and Canadian taxes, duties or fees but is just shipping. Having something shipped from the US is the worst of all with charges up to $100. In this age of online purchases these charges can be a killer for a project.
I meant in country when I talked about component sourcing. They have a lot of performance companies there, just don't know about FA20 specific parts, or machine shop costs or anything. Obviously shipping is the worst part worldwide. I have shipped parts to Canada before and they'll pay more in shipping then the part cost sometimes. I did a front end swap on an old car and bought parts from holden Australia and it wasn't too bad in shipping, just parts cost.... but thats coming to the US, not from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #22
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Damn. This is what is holding me back from going F/I. So many reports of spun bearings on these engines.

OP, do you have a '13 motor? Wondering if this is more likely with a '13 vs. newer engine.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #23
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
No. It is still $8K since he is not paying in US$. Exchange rates do not apply when setting value in a different country. Even if it did at the current rate it would be $6,500 not $5,500
unless it is a locally produced part (which there are not many) then it still makes the price jump for us aussies. everything imported is automatically slapped with import tax, then we have a goods and services tax. Everything is passed on to the consumer so I feel that the AU$ comparison to US$ does apply here.

8K for a built motor over here is a tight budget but hopefully the OP can get it done
Old 01-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johl View Post
unless it is a locally produced part (which there are not many) then it still makes the price jump for us aussies. everything imported is automatically slapped with import tax, then we have a goods and services tax. Everything is passed on to the consumer so I feel that the AU$ comparison to US$ does apply here.

8K for a built motor over here is a tight budget but hopefully the OP can get it done
Nope. Unless you compare income, cost of living, average prices and a couple of dozen different things you can not say that it is a fair comparison. Exchange rates are an artificial comparison and constantly changing. If your dollar goes up against the US one does everything you buy drop in price the same amount?
new2subaru (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #25
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
So I blew up my motor last week. I was devastated to say the least. I was running a Sprintex 210 kit on 94 fuel. The diagnosis was that I've spun a bearing. I had enough oil in it so not exactly sure how it happened. I was driving sedately at the time as well. I noticed a rattle as I was driving, didn't think too much of it (our motors always make weird noises) then it stopped when I fired it up the next morning, started up again half way to work and then by the time I got to work I knew something bad had happened.

I'm now in the process of working out what I do next.

So... I've been quoted 5k for a new motor including installation. Or
Approx 15 k for a fully built motor (installed) But then I have to pay more to get the power that engine can take - or leave it at 175kw atw. This is a lot of dough for that power so I think that option is out.

My question is what is the chance of this happening again on the new stock motor? Was I unlucky? Or am I better off just fixing and selling it off for a wrx, sti or renault rs265 (not sure if USA get these) that has that power stock.
How much psi (bar? What unit you use) we're you running before the engine blew.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,585 Times in 18,965 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nope. Unless you compare income, cost of living, average prices and a couple of dozen different things you can not say that it is a fair comparison. Exchange rates are an artificial comparison and constantly changing. If your dollar goes up against the US one does everything you buy drop in price the same amount?
Very difficult to explain in this format. Not until we had the conversation in person did I begin to understand your point. Even now, I don't think I have my head wrapped around it well enough to summarize it effectively.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #27
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Some things are more and some less. According to this article it's pretty much a wash.

When we are at par shopping in the USA is a hayday!

https://www.investopedia.com/financi...call-home.aspx
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Some things are more and some less. According to this article it's pretty much a wash.

When we are at par shopping in the USA is a hayday!

https://www.investopedia.com/financi...call-home.aspx
Yes it is pretty much a wash and that is why you can not apply exchange and say things are cheaper elsewhere.

Gas keeps going up in price and we will be there again soon. Then we will complain about the price of gas though.