follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #29
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Ever since crashing my MR2 at the track I get kind of nervous when I drive around bends :/ Is driving in a sim realistic enough for the skills to transfer to the real world?
-yes

I want to build up my car control skills in a cheap and safe environment, seems like Assetto Corsa is a good option.
-it is, but iRacing is the best

Probably gonna start out with a cheap 250 dollar Ebay seat/cockpit and Logitech G27, with a Pimax 4K so the VR headset can serve dual duty in a virtual desktop, doing away with monitors. Are the nicer steering wheels worth the extra money? The prices seem pretty steep for such a simple device.
-not really. I was super excited to go from a $200 g27 to a $600 thrustmaster but I was surprised at how devoid of feel and artificial it was compared to the G27. The G27 kicked and bucked, and rocked the whole chair, making me feel like I was in the car. The Thrustmaster was meh. Unless you wanna splurge out on a REALLY expensive wheel (direct drive etc), it's not worth it
see my answers above
Old 01-18-2018, 01:27 AM   #30
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
see my answers above
Thanks for the reply.

I'm reading that Project Cars 2 has really good physics. Are Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, and iRacing fairly even in this regard? I don't mind paying more for iRacing if it's actually more realistic, but the internet doesn't seem to agree if it's more realistic or not. I am not sure if it's true or not, but I am seeing people complaining about the moment of inertia not being realistic in both AC and iRacing, which is a bummer because I want to practice with 911s and mid engine cars.

Good to know about the G27 vs Thrustmaster, sounds like G27 is a good bet.

Last edited by serialk11r; 01-18-2018 at 01:37 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 AM   #31
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I love Sims racing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxL2tdP0wuo"]The Sims 3 (Glitch) - O Fortuna - YouTube[/ame]
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #32
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm reading that Project Cars 2 has really good physics. Are Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, and iRacing fairly even in this regard? I don't mind paying more for iRacing if it's actually more realistic, but the internet doesn't seem to agree if it's more realistic or not. I am not sure if it's true or not, but I am seeing people complaining about the moment of inertia not being realistic in both AC and iRacing, which is a bummer because I want to practice with 911s and mid engine cars.

I wouldn't even put project cars in the same category. There was no steering feedback. In AC and iracing when you go over a bump or an uneven road surface, the steering wheel bucks. Actually it's dancing in your hands the entire time. In PC, it just stays smooth and lifeless the whole race, which I didn't like. Maybe they changed that in PC2 but I wouldn't bet on it.
Hades (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #33
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I play assetto corsa like every other day, i find its great/cheap accessible seat times for me, I can practice brake point, getting on throttle smoother, squeezing the brake more, smoother steering.

track day aren't cheap, so Sim racing is an awesome way to finesse your driving outside the track.

Check out my website:
http://www.aim4apex.com/
IG: aimforapex

Last edited by dattran86; 01-18-2018 at 10:42 AM.
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dattran86 For This Useful Post:
ermax (01-18-2018), Hades (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #34
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
I play assetto corsa like every other day, i find its great/cheap accessible seat times for me, I can practice brake pointing, getting on throttle smoother, squeezing the brake more, smoother steering.

track day aren't cheap, so Sim racing is an awesome way to finesse your driving outside the track.
Agreed. There are lots of things about simracing that can be applied to real life. There is an indoor kart track in my city which does 3 hour endurance races. All my years of simracing in a competitive league helped a ton with regard to traffic management in these kart races. You can get a lot of practice with setting up for passes, learning where people make mistakes and capitalizing on it and learning how to defend your position without killing your lap times. Sim's can't fully replicate real world but they are still effective tools for the real world. If they weren't effective then the entire F1 grid wouldn't have sims running rFactor Pro.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
dattran86 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #35
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Agreed. There are lots of things about simracing that can be applied to real life. There is an indoor kart track in my city which does 3 hour endurance races. All my years of simracing in a competitive league helped a ton with regard to traffic management in these kart races. You can get a lot of practice with setting up for passes, learning where people make mistakes and capitalizing on it and learning how to defend your position without killing your lap times. Sim's can't fully replicate real world but they are still effective tools for the real world. If they weren't effective then the entire F1 grid wouldn't have sims running rFactor Pro.
yeah, plus im from the north, 8 months here is winter. be able to hop right into a race with 24 other cars driven by AI and driving shoulder to each other. being force to take a different racing line compare to the conventional line.

definitely not everything can applies to the real world or even simulate the exact feels. but its pretty damn close for practicing technique, and feed the racing addiction.

Check out my website:
http://www.aim4apex.com/
IG: aimforapex
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #36
TwistedGray
IG thomas50shades

Drives: ISO: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

FYI - I have a copy of Project Cars 2 for sale.

I would recommend the G29, but you'll have to buy the shifter separately and it also mounts separately.
TwistedGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #37
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
FYI - I have a copy of Project Cars 2 for sale.

I would recommend the G29, but you'll have to buy the shifter separately and it also mounts separately.
How do you like pCARS2? I haven't tried it yet. I kind of gave up hope on the project. I would update my build (pCARS1) every few months because people would tell me it was massively improved but was always let down. Physics still weren't on pare with rF2 or even AC. But now I have friends telling me pCARS2 is much better. But you can only cry wolf so many times before I say, "yeah right it's better".
Old 01-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #38
TwistedGray
IG thomas50shades

Quote:
How do you like pCARS2? I haven't tried it yet. I kind of gave up hope on the project. I would update my build (pCARS1) every few months because people would tell me it was massively improved but was always let down. Physics still weren't on pare with rF2 or even AC. But now I have friends telling me pCARS2 is much better. But you can only cry wolf so many times before I say, "yeah right it's better".
I bought it on a whim, played it once, put it away. I honestly don't know why I bought it; someone who I follow on social media that SIM races all the time told me it was his go-to game and liked it more than the new Gran Turismo.

I also bought AC for the drifting, and I got burned out on that really quickly. I think you can also drift in PC2, but I'm not 100% sure. I saw videos of people drifting which also piqued my interest; although, I might have all of 10-20 minutes in PC2...lol.

...I SIM dirt/rallycross. I thought I would enjoy road racing as well, and I just don't. To me it is not as fun...and with that said as soon as someone brings Laguna Seca back I'll be hooked again. Until then I'll stick to Dirt 4 and FPS.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #39
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Wait, so rFactor 2 is the most realistic simulator?

Sounds like I might need to just buy all of them lol.

What about the G29 is better than the older wheels? I don't think the extra buttons are very useful.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #40
ermax

Yeah hands down rF2 is most accurate. There is a guy who races in our league (VEC) who owns a software development firm with 150 devs, His name is Marcel. He took some of his devs and created a new company named Studio 397 (397 laps is the most run at the Le Mans 24) and worked a deal with ISI to buy the source code to rF2. So now that he has taken over development of rF2 he has ported it over to DirectX 11 which has helped a lot with the eye candy. Still nowhere near the eye candy of pCARS but I personally put physics over eye candy.

What is cool is Marcel is still racing with us and basically the league gives him lots of feedback on the sim. We do endurance races only. Anywhere from 4 to 24 hours. Teams have anywhere from 3 - 5 drivers. The cutoff is at 80 teams and we always have a waiting list. So we have lots of people to give feedback. We also have several real life pro racers in the league.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #41
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
I bought it on a whim, played it once, put it away. I honestly don't know why I bought it; someone who I follow on social media that SIM races all the time told me it was his go-to game and liked it more than the new Gran Turismo.

I also bought AC for the drifting, and I got burned out on that really quickly. I think you can also drift in PC2, but I'm not 100% sure. I saw videos of people drifting which also piqued my interest; although, I might have all of 10-20 minutes in PC2...lol.

...I SIM dirt/rallycross. I thought I would enjoy road racing as well, and I just don't. To me it is not as fun...and with that said as soon as someone brings Laguna Seca back I'll be hooked again. Until then I'll stick to Dirt 4 and FPS.
You should be able to drift in any true sim as long as the car is setup for drifting. Physics are physics.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #42
TwistedGray
IG thomas50shades

Quote:
You should be able to drift in any true sim as long as the car is setup for drifting. Physics are physics.
True, and some in-game physics are lackluster Then again, I'm a shitty driver, so there's that, lol.