follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 03:31 AM   #1
zizon93

Drives: GBS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is only me or does anyone feel same way as me?

So I bought my first ever sports car about 6 months ago and I remember I was pretty much hyped up for a month. Always staring at my car through my window day&night and just driving as much as I can. However, it changed. Don't get me wrong, I still love my car. But I just don't have its so-called 'pure joyness', 'happiness', and an 'excitement' that I used to have back when I first got my BRZ anymore. Back then, I was literally shaking to get into a seat because I was that excited to drive but now it's like 'meh, just another day of me driving BRZ'. I know it's weird for me to say a such a thing when I stated I still love my car. I don't know ... but it's just what it is and how I feel these days. Does anyone still love and have the same feeling toward to our cars just like on the very first couple of days we owned the car? or has it become kinda 'meh' after owning several months&years (kinda like me now) or I might be just weirdo... lol.. thks.

Last edited by zizon93; 12-12-2017 at 04:01 AM.
zizon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #2
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I think you’re bound to feel that way especially if it’s your only car and used to do mundane tasks.

A great way to escape these thoughts is to explore new roads and to drive this car where it was meant to shine. If you’re not the kind who enjoys spirited drives then you have to ask yourself...why did you get a sports car, no...why did you get a BRZ in the first place?

We see it a lot here...someone parks their car for winter or goes on vacation to another country. Then they report “oh man I had to drive some crappy Hyundai Accent or Toyota Corolla for 2 weeks. But when I drove my FR-S/BRZ again, I never knew what I was missing out on!” As humans we try to process as little information as possible so doing repetitive things like driving your car will eventually cause some excitement to go away.

I can’t really speak for myself because I alternate between 3 cars...a Corolla, 93 Non-Turbo MR2, and my BRZ. I drive the BRZ the least but I’ve owned it for 2 years and it’s still the car I want to be in every single day. It’s like eating a really good dish but taking your time to taste the flavor.

Even if you don’t have access to another car, try to take away what makes the BRZ such an amazing car. Try driving your car like a grandma for a week. Seriously. Shift below 3k. Drive the speed limit. Take turns really slow.

Then when you’ve had enough, let the car remind you what it was made to do.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 AM   #3
zizon93

Drives: GBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
I think you’re bound to feel that way especially if it’s your only car and used to do mundane tasks.

A great way to escape these thoughts is to explore new roads and to drive this car where it was meant to shine. If you’re not the kind who enjoys spirited drives then you have to ask yourself...why did you get a sports car, no...why did you get a BRZ in the first place?

We see it a lot here...someone parks their car for winter or goes on vacation to another country. Then they report “oh man I had to drive some crappy Hyundai Accent or Toyota Corolla for 2 weeks. But when I drove my FR-S/BRZ again, I never knew what I was missing out on!” As humans we try to process as little information as possible so doing repetitive things like driving your car will eventually cause some excitement to go away.

I can’t really speak for myself because I alternate between 3 cars...a Corolla, 93 Non-Turbo MR2, and my BRZ. I drive the BRZ the least but I’ve owned it for 2 years and it’s still the car I want to be in every single day. It’s like eating a really good dish but taking your time to taste the flavor.

Even if you don’t have access to another car, try to take away what makes the BRZ such an amazing car. Try driving your car like a grandma for a week. Seriously. Shift below 3k. Drive the speed limit. Take turns really slow.

Then when you’ve had enough, let the car remind you what it was made to do.
Thank you very much for your tips and I really appreciate it. Yes, it is my only car and I daily drive it every day. What I do daily is rather simple and plain; go to work M-F (7mins away from my home and it's all straight road), hit the gym afterward (literally 1min away from my home). On a Saturday, I usually go out and have some fun with my buddies&gf and on a Sunday I spend the whole day on a church haha. You're right ... I may need to bring my car to a track someday and drive it like it meant to be ... I really hope that would give back its pure enjoyment that I had before
zizon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
sfdai0

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
start adding some simple mods to it. Youd be surprised at just changing a shift knob can do to reinvigorate the excitement again.
sfdai0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sfdai0 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Like sfdai0 said, add mods. I've added so much stuff to it so far that either improved the driving or made the interior a nicer place to be. It was all weird rubber and plastic, now it's carbon, alcantara and titanium. Every time I sit in it, I'm like oooo! Since I put 18" wheels, lowered it, and put a paint matched wing on it (for that OEM+ look), the car gets a shit ton of attention so it's nice to be seen in it and have people craning their necks out the window and pointing, being approached on the street etc, not to mention walking up to it and getting excited just because I'm in love with the way it looks. Then there's the exhaust. I put the back seats down so I can hear all that cacophony (I have a Corsa exhaust). I use every opportunity to go for a drive. And I think that's the key. Make your car a nice place to be in and you'll love being there every time. Give it a makeover, so to speak
Teseo (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Time to start autox.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
ermax (12-12-2017), ka-titties (12-18-2017), strat61caster (12-12-2017), Teseo (12-12-2017), trippinbillies40 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
owned a FRS for 2 years, still smile everytime i drive it. especially on a track, just picked up my BRZ...smile per gallon still there.

Check out my website:
http://www.aim4apex.com/
IG: aimforapex
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
I think most people are less excited about their new car once the initial "new car" phase wears off. This applies to most purchases in life, rather it be a car or a big screen TV. What's new is exciting, and tends to become less exciting as we get used to it.
It also depends on personality types. Some people buy a car and get very emotionally attached to it and want to drive it until the wheels fall off, while others want to experience something new and different more frequently. I fall into the latter category and I tend to change cars every year or two because there are so many cars that I want to experience. For some, simply doing a few modifications every now and then is enough to keep them interested.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Put me in ANY car and I will have fun. I prefer driving a performance car but I will literally drive any car like I stole it and have fun.

I see others suggesting mods... I suggest something free.. learn some advanced driving techniques. Learn to heel toe or maybe even double clutching. If you got the auto... well, I am sorry. Hahaha
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
For a minute I thought you were talking about your girlfriend
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
For a minute I thought you were talking about your girlfriend
Hahaha.. yeah, better hope his girl doesn't see this thread. Hahaha
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
do some stereo mods perhaps? it's fun to learn about, and interesting to do, and it gives you another little thing about the car that makes it your own, vs just another FRS/BRZ/86. I will warn though that stereo mods are a slippery slope to expensive parts, and possibly owning a surplus of things.
that said owning extra speakers isn't necessarily the worst thing, give you other hobbies to do too. I fixed up the speakers in a friends old Nissan truck about a year back with some spare infinitys I had laying about, and he was super grateful.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with @Veloist. Let the car remind you of why you got it in the first place. If you haven't done any modifications yet, I would recommend you look into an exhaust. Really gives this car a unique voice depending on what you go with.
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
3 years of ownership, i cant not look at it everytime i walk by, even if its filthy dirty (which is alot parked outside). i stalk my own car

love driving it everytime i get innit. granted i dont drive it daily but is only vehicle i have access to.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (12-12-2017)