follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
E-brake light on while driving

This morning I noticed my e-brake light was lit on the dash while driving to work, and no, my e-brake was not engaged. It has been doing it intermittently the rest of the day and not sure what could cause it.

On a side note my GFs 99 Accord has been doing the same thing for like 3-4 months but her light stays on much more constant then mine did today.

Is this a sensor issue, adjustment issue, something else?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Check your break fluid. It's low.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-31-2017), NAEightySix (11-02-2017), Overdrive (10-30-2017), Tcoat (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
^^^^^^^^ As said, either your fluid is low...

And/or, your pads are super low and in need of replacement. If that's the case, you may find when you do replace them that your possibly low fluid level will come back up to normal territory.

I'm not 100% sure, but they likely talk about this in the manual. I remember it being in the manual for my older Toyota (2003), where they specifically said not to top up the brake fluid because it would prevent the system from giving you the brake light warning on the dash when your pads reach the point of needing replacement like it's supposed to.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
There are no sensors for low break pads. Fyi.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think I mentioned anything about any sensors. What I'm saying is that (apparently) the idea is that as the pads wear down, the fluid level in the system will lower, and once it reaches a certain low point, the brake light turns on on the dash as a means of telling you that your brake pads need to be replaced. Could also be as you said, for some reason or another the fluid level got low and needs topping up. So it's just something to check before topping up the fluid, because it could just be time to replace the pads before you top up the system.

Last edited by Overdrive; 10-31-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Ill check when i get to level ground. Interesting since its intermittent but I guess fluid can slosh around.

Didnt figure though since i just checked it prior to my track day yesterday and it was good. Could have worn down the pads enough to make a difference I guess. Guess I just should have RTFM

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know much about the mechanics .. but is it even possible to wear down the E-brake's drum brakes in 5 years? I had mine cleaned out recently when getting the pads swapped and they looked like 0 wear.

I guess if you've been yanking it constantly to drift?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
I don't know much about the mechanics .. but is it even possible to wear down the E-brake's drum brakes in 5 years? I had mine cleaned out recently when getting the pads swapped and they looked like 0 wear.

I guess if you've been yanking it constantly to drift?
Thats why I was puzzled by it at first, but I also didnt think that it doubled for the regular brakes too lol. My brake fluid is right at the min line so it is probably reading low as it moves around like other pointed out.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Thats why I was puzzled by it at first, but I also didnt think that it doubled for the regular brakes too lol. My brake fluid is right at the min line so it is probably reading low as it moves around like other pointed out.
FYI, don't just top off brake fluid. Brake fluid doesn't go low without a reason.

Either your brake pads are worn and you are using more fluid as the slave pistons are extended further to engage the brakes, or you have a leak.

Easiest thing to do is check your brake pads and replace if necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imrac For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrac View Post
FYI, don't just top off brake fluid. Brake fluid doesn't go low without a reason.

Either your brake pads are worn and you are using more fluid as the slave pistons are extended further to engage the brakes, or you have a leak.

Easiest thing to do is check your brake pads and replace if necessary.
Yeah, the pads were sorta on their way out and I was at the track sunday so I know that is the cause lol. Just didnt even think the light was related to anything other then the e-brake. I'm on my 5th or 6th set of front pads now and it never came on before so just didnt think about it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Imrac (10-31-2017), Tcoat (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Yeah, the pads were sorta on their way out and I was at the track sunday so I know that is the cause lol. Just didnt even think the light was related to anything other then the e-brake. I'm on my 5th or 6th set of front pads now and it never came on before so just didnt think about it
I read about your track experience after I posted, then realized you probably already knew! I didn't know the brake light would come on due to low fluid though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imrac For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Your girlfriend's Accord has had an almost-constant BRAKE warning light illuminated on the dash for "months" and you still haven't done anything about it?

Do you hate your girlfriend?

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Your girlfriend's Accord has had an almost-constant BRAKE warning light illuminated on the dash for "months" and you still haven't done anything about it?

Do you hate your girlfriend?
You're thinking about this like a guy. You see a problem and want to fix it. You see a guy describe a problem and don't understand why he didn't fix it. It's very simple to us.

To a woman, fixing her car may carry a lot of extra connotations. It's not, "Now my car is fixed." It's, "What does it mean for him to fix my car?" Does it mean she now has some obligation to him? Will fixing her car cross them into a different stage in their relationship? The next time they have a fight, will he be able to use this against her? If she tells her dad the boyfriend fixed the car, will he get upset? Will her mom tell her she's being too dependent? Does it really mean she's becoming dependent? Is she ready to depend on him? What if she starts relying on him and then he stops working on the car? What will that mean for their relationship? Is he going to let her down? If she's obligated now, what does she owe him? Maybe she should buy him something. Or does she need to just blow him? Surely a nice dinner will be sufficient. But oh, she's going to have to sit out there with him while he works, because it would be super bitchy to stay inside. Boooooring.

So maybe he hasn't fixed his girlfriend's car because they're not at that stage in their relationship, and she won't let him. Or maybe he's smart enough not to wade into that morass just yet.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You're thinking about this like a guy. You see a problem and want to fix it. You see a guy describe a problem and don't understand why he didn't fix it. It's very simple to us.

To a woman, fixing her car may carry a lot of extra connotations. It's not, "Now my car is fixed." It's, "What does it mean for him to fix my car?" Does it mean she now has some obligation to him? Will fixing her car cross them into a different stage in their relationship? The next time they have a fight, will he be able to use this against her? If she tells her dad the boyfriend fixed the car, will he get upset? Will her mom tell her she's being too dependent? Does it really mean she's becoming dependent? Is she ready to depend on him? What if she starts relying on him and then he stops working on the car? What will that mean for their relationship? Is he going to let her down? If she's obligated now, what does she owe him? Maybe she should buy him something. Or does she need to just blow him? Surely a nice dinner will be sufficient. But oh, she's going to have to sit out there with him while he works, because it would be super bitchy to stay inside. Boooooring.

So maybe he hasn't fixed his girlfriend's car because they're not at that stage in their relationship, and she won't let him. Or maybe he's smart enough not to wade into that morass just yet.
WOW! ....... ol extrashaky dug right into a woman's head to come up with that .........

To give you an example, waaaaay back-in-the-day, when I was courting mrs humfrz, she was living in her condo with her daughter. My sons and I were invited over for supper. When we arrived, she was just finishing up vacuuming the carpet, I offer to finish up the job while she tended to the cooking.

I noticed that the vacuum wasn't picking up anything; the filter was totally clogged. I pointed that out to her and cleaned the filter. She was embarrassed and felt I was criticizing her housekeeping skills.

So, since I was the EXPERT on running a vacuum sweeper, I have been assigned that task for the last 35 years now .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (10-31-2017), Tcoat (10-31-2017), Ultramaroon (10-31-2017)