follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #29
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
There is plenty you can do to upgrade an ESC.

1) Swap a stronger electric motor w/ longer peak performance duration
2) Get a 3rd battery/upgrade to a 36V system
3) Upgrade to a 24V or 36V LiFeMnCo4 (Lithium Ion battery pack)
3.1) Get a glycol cooled Lithium battery pack
4) Install a high output generator for faster recharging
5) Lighten the turbine wheel and shaft

If you want to get creative you can attach the electric motor to a gear that will increase the rpm of the turbo wheel shaft above the rpm range of the electric motor. Kind of the opposite of how tesla's car motors use a reducing gear to get their XX,000 rpm electric motors to spin the transmission/wheels at X,000 rpm. This would get an ESC motor that spins at XX,000 rpm to spin a turbo wheel up to XXX,000 rpm.
Sure but all that effort and likely still slower. I had the ESC for a year it was ok, pretty fun, made the car livable unlike stock where its so gutless.

Now I have a normal turbo and I wouldn't go back. My turbo spools maybe 1k rpm later than what the ESC's safe activation would be (2.5k rpm or up).
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #30
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
Sure but all that effort and likely still slower. I had the ESC for a year it was ok, pretty fun, made the car livable unlike stock where its so gutless.

Now I have a normal turbo and I wouldn't go back. My turbo spools maybe 1k rpm later than what the ESC's safe activation would be (2.5k rpm or up).

The only real way to improve the ESC is to use a step up gear or else it will never see the turbine speed that we want out of it. I found a few high rpm motors in the 150,000+rpm range but they accomplished this with tiny shafts and had low power/tq ratings. Mating 1:4 gear would open up a wider variety of electric motors that spin the 40,000 rpm range with similar power/tq output as the phantom esc motor.

Thanks to DAEMANO pointing me toward the huge ass phantom threat I learned quite a bit about these set ups. But in the end no matter the amount of lithium batteries or recharge ability the real bottle neck for this tech is the motor rpm to tq to power output limitations.

Either way it was a good learning adventure since I'm currently looking for a job at Tesla and now I won't sound like I don't know about their tech lol
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote