follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #43
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Had a MKIII Supra and often drove a NB1 Miata, and I'm a Toyota guy. The interior feels a lot like the Supra did, and the driving feel is like the (heavily modified) Miata, so a win-win. As the cars are literally identical mechanical wise and the BRZ was basically the high trim level FR-S, I went with the BRZ because of the features (and World Rally Blue).

I won't own a car that doesn't have heated mirrors (safety) and that doesn't have excellent headlights (HID's in the BRZ). The dual zone climate control and heated seats were icing on the cake, and I got the Series.Blue because I was already going to add all the STI body parts anyway.

I could have had a well optioned WRX for what I paid, but it's just not nearly as sexy looking as a car. WRX could possibly be called handsome, maybe.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:26 AM   #44
EdBoy
Driver

Drives: 16 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was gonna buy an original ae86 as a project car when I had my 9th gen corolla. Then the frs/86/brz came out, wanted the newer refreshed model. Wanted an frs, but brz limited had everything I wanted from the start so ended up buying one.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #45
Roth

Drives: 2013 Gt86
I got a new job and I commute 60km everyday. I live in a small village on the Norwegian west coast, roads where I usually drive are perfect for a car like the 86. No traffic, endless turns and good tarmac. No need to drive a boring car. I was looking for a Subaru, I love the blue. But I found a mint Gt86 in black, with incredibly low mileage and bone stock. And that's how I got my Toyota. First toyota for me, I'm not a "whatever brand" guy. I've owned Ford, Nissan, Jeep, Volvo and currently I have a VW (which will now be for my second-half) and an old Chevy Van.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-12-2017), Teseo (10-12-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 04:36 AM   #46
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon85 View Post
Bcoz wtf is scion

Don't hate. Miagi-son says learn : https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scion
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #47
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
of course, affordability had a lot to do with it because if money were not an issue we would have tons of cars. But what made me pick the BRZ among the similar-priced cars is its good balance of everything from mileage, speed, maintenance, looks, and upkeep. For a long time, cars in this price range are all mostly brochure base models that have tacked on upgrades to become sportier (even the WRX) - whereas true sports cars that were designed ground-up were limited to the luxury cars up there. So.. basically the first of its own here. Miata and s2000 could be counted, but I feel the FRS design notched up the practicality and consumer-friendlyness vs the sportier/weekender style of the s2k/miata.
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #48
sweetpea

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
The Miata to me is to feminine looking. I sold mazdas when I was in my early 20's. Only women bought them (which pushed them to start making the automatic version more common).

The BRZ is more aggressive looking than the newer miatas. All personal preference
sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #49
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Bought because my GT-Four RC had an engine fire and got written off and this car was a back to basics sports car roots.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #50
Is Always Angry

Drives: Low and Slow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Had a MKIII Supra and often drove a NB1 Miata, and I'm a Toyota guy. The interior feels a lot like the Supra did, and the driving feel is like the (heavily modified) Miata, so a win-win. As the cars are literally identical mechanical wise and the BRZ was basically the high trim level FR-S, I went with the BRZ because of the features (and World Rally Blue).

I won't own a car that doesn't have heated mirrors (safety) and that doesn't have excellent headlights (HID's in the BRZ). The dual zone climate control and heated seats were icing on the cake, and I got the Series.Blue because I was already going to add all the STI body parts anyway.

I could have had a well optioned WRX for what I paid, but it's just not nearly as sexy looking as a car. WRX could possibly be called handsome, maybe.
We have mirror defrosters in the U.S.?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #51
Xybris

Drives: '17 BRZ
I've wanted one since it was debuted as a concept(?) in Gran Turismo 5 about 7 years ago. But life happened, work happened, things out of my control happened, so it took until now for me to finally get one. The wait sucked, but it was worth it. My commute is pretty long and crappy, but the BRZ keeps a smile on my face.
Xybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #52
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is Always Angry View Post
They are hooked up to the rear window defrost.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #53
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
I drive 200mi a day and had been going through DD cars in search of something that was fun to drive and practical to keep the miles off my less practical car. It all started with an RX8 that got the MPGs of the Cayenne S I had before it, so I picked up a cheap Civic. I later realized that while I liked the RX8, it was not worth saving for sunny days. I ended up selling it and buying a C5 Z06. Then I sold the Civic and replaced it with a Mazdaspeed3. I left my job for a while so I didn't need the MS3 and my wife wanted a car she liked driving, so sold the MS3 and she now has a BMW 550. It was great for a while, 3 garage stalls, I had the Z06, she had the 550 and we have an AWD Chevy Express for a family vehicle (ironically it is arguably the most unique vehicle I have ever owned...but I did have a Volvo 480 Turbo once). Then I returned to my job, needed a commuter again, picked up an RSX but missed having a stall for every car and was tired of maintaining 4 cars (and the Z06 was just more car than any of the roads around me could appreciate). SO, I sold the RSX and Z06 and picked up the BRZ. I definitely went from having too much power to having too little power, but if going fully bolted doesn't give me my fix, I will go the turbo route and get it that way.

Sorry for the long story, but hopefully it gives some context to a complex problem that this car has solved for me.

Last edited by MRCA1ST; 10-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #54
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is Always Angry View Post
Now you do. Didn't before 2017 (not stock at any rate). Canada has had them and standard mud flaps all along.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #55
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCA1ST View Post
I drive 200mi a day and had been going through DD cars in search of something that was fun to drive and practical to keep the miles off my less practical car. It all started with an RX8 that got the MPGs of the Cayenne S I had before it, so I picked up a cheap Civic. I later realized that while I liked the RX8, it was not worth saving for sunny days. I ended up selling it and buying a C5 Z06. Then I sold the Civic and replaced it with a Mazdaspeed3. I left my job for a while so I didn't need the MS3 and my wife wanted a car she liked driving, so sold the MS3 and she now has a BMW 550. It was great for a while, 3 garage stalls, I had the Z06, she had the 550 and we have an AWD Chevy Express for a family vehicle (ironically it is arguably the most unique vehicle I have ever owned...but I did have a Volvo 480 Turbo once). Then I returned to my job, needed a commuter again, picked up an RSX but missed having a stall for every car and was tired of maintaining 4 cars (and the Z06 was just more car than any of the roads around me could appreciate). SO, I sold the RSX and Z06 and picked up the BRZ. I definitely went from having too much power to having too little power, but if going fully bolted doesn't give me my fix, I will go the turbo route and get it that way.

Sorry for the long story, but hopefully it gives some context to a complex problem that this car has solved for me.
You sound like you have money to move around, so why not just go bmw 2 series? More power, RWD, small... or just plain something that has more power out of the box lol.. This car wasn't meant for straight line, and I get you can do whatever you want with your car, but you risk changing the handling dynamics of the car
Old 10-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #56
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The vast aftermarket FI support. I think this car is a great platform.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote