follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
FRSJ

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
86/BRZ for winter daily driver?

Good day guys, so I've done a lot of research and finally purchased an 86. I love the car to death. And I've been watching a lot of youtube videos on the 86/brz either doing really well in winter, or videos with them just being stuck. Of course winter tires are a must. But there aren't any videos testing it to its limits.

What I mean limits, what is the threshold limit in inches of snow?
FRSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I can only attest to about 2-3 inches of snow max, and the car did great with a set of 205/50R17 Blizzak ws-80's. I drove this car every day in northern Ohio this winter and had zero issues. @Tcoat can attest to Ontario snow levels. Even when you start plowing snow with your bumpers, with good tires and gentle pedal and steering inputs, this car is golden.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
dowroa (10-15-2017), Lynxis (08-30-2017), Tcoat (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSJ View Post
Good day guys, so I've done a lot of research and finally purchased an 86. I love the car to death. And I've been watching a lot of youtube videos on the 86/brz either doing really well in winter, or videos with them just being stuck. Of course winter tires are a must. But there aren't any videos testing it to its limits.

What I mean limits, what is the threshold limit in inches of snow?
The max I have plowed through on a continuous road was about 16 inches of light fluffy stuff. The worst was about 12 inches of heavy wet stuff. I have plowed through drifts that were well over my hood. I am lowered by 1 1/2 inches. Have not once even come close to being stuck.
I have had to stop in deep snow to help push AWD vehicles out of my way so I could carry on down the road.
The people that get stuck are the ones that insist that all season or even summer tires are fine in the cold or can't learn to be light on the gas pedal.
Get the snow tires of your choice and go for it.

And now for the pics that so many people must be getting sick of seeing!
Attached Images

dowroa (10-15-2017), JazzleSAURUS (08-30-2017), Lynxis (08-30-2017), winsanity (08-30-2017), wparsons (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had no problems driving through really shitty snow weather 8-10" .. as long as you have a decent set of dedicated snow tires. I live in RI by the way, so one day it will be a blizzard, the next it will be sunny, then we'll get a sleet storm the next day, then it will rain. It's weird and shitty but I've never had an issue getting stuck with this car.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse36m3 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
cjny

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Only one winter on the car so far but 10 inches of medium heavy snow was not enough to stop it, as long as you follow the caveats above about tires and technique.

The best part, though, is the control you have. Once the tires start breaking free and you lose neutral steering it's undoubtedly the easiest car to manage I've driven in 40 years spent on upstate NY roads.
cjny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The threshold depends on the driver, NOT the car.

I've only gotten stuck once with mine; there was an ice patch under the snow, and I was going uphill, and she just wouldn't go any further. Front was hung up on the snow and the rear wheels were on pure ice. That was in my own driveway for goodness sake.

Otherwise, it's been a way better car in the winter than I ever expected it would be, even after lowering it.

I may finally be able to park it for this winter, but honestly I will miss having fun with it in the snow. A big empty parking lot with a light dusting of snow and all the electronic nannies turned off is TONS of fun in this car.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 08-30-2017 at 04:08 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SLVRSRFR For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-30-2017), Tcoat (08-30-2017), TorontoNat (08-30-2017), winsanity (08-30-2017), wparsons (08-31-2017), yelsew (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjny View Post
The best part, though, is the control you have. Once the tires start breaking free and you lose neutral steering it's undoubtedly the easiest car to manage
This^^ This is by far the easiest car to control when it breaks loose. The balance of the car and the way it steers makes me enjoy snowy commutes to work.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
I had no problems driving through really shitty snow weather 8-10" .. as long as you have a decent set of dedicated snow tires. I live in RI by the way, so one day it will be a blizzard, the next it will be sunny, then we'll get a sleet storm the next day, then it will rain. It's weird and shitty but I've never had an issue getting stuck with this car.
I live in Western MA. I used to live in a hilltown at 1600ft. Routine 3-6" snows 'down the hill' were usually 8"+ up top.

I ran stock suspension, a busted up spare FRS bumper, and altimax arctics in 205/65-16 on some old Subaru RS wheels. The car does really well as long as you take your time, and don't insist on 'I'm slowing down, therefore more throttle'

Never once did I get stuck, or fail to make it up the hill. You will have less forward momentum control than a GOOD AWD car, (think Evo/STi driveline,) but good winter tires and mindfullness and you will do just fine! Take your time, find a few parking lots to learn the cars low traction limits and you'll have a blast every time it snows.

I'd usually get home from work in the BRZ, then hop in the FXT and go hammer around and tear up the parking lots. I'd take the FXT if I knew it would be snowy both ways, and generally just horrible weather.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
winsanity

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech
Like pretty much everyone mentioned, with good snow tires you'll be fine.
Use light throttle inputs. I had a ton of fun in winter with this car even with cheaper Sailun winter tires.

Good to hear from the guys that are lowered that they still got around fine in winter.
winsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Aozora
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I daily the vehicle in the winter for 2 winters only been stuck once, and that's because of dirty, slushy crap after everyone gone out of their parking spot. But fresh, packed snow, the car has a surprising amount of traction. Gentle on throttle, be alert and you will survive.
Dawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I live in Western MA. I used to live in a hilltown at 1600ft. Routine 3-6" snows 'down the hill' were usually 8"+ up top.

I ran stock suspension, a busted up spare FRS bumper, and altimax arctics in 205/65-16 on some old Subaru RS wheels. The car does really well as long as you take your time, and don't insist on 'I'm slowing down, therefore more throttle'

Never once did I get stuck, or fail to make it up the hill. You will have less forward momentum control than a GOOD AWD car, (think Evo/STi driveline,) but good winter tires and mindfullness and you will do just fine! Take your time, find a few parking lots to learn the cars low traction limits and you'll have a blast every time it snows.

I'd usually get home from work in the BRZ, then hop in the FXT and go hammer around and tear up the parking lots. I'd take the FXT if I knew it would be snowy both ways, and generally just horrible weather.
Even the best AWD is no better than a RWD if they don't put actual winter tires on it. Those extra wheels don't make up for driving on hockey puck summer or A/S tires. One of the cars I had to push out of the way was an STi on shiny new all seasons. It was minus 10 out and those tires may as well have been solid steel. He was amazed that I was just cruising along with no issues in my RWD.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
funcheung

Drives: Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Fun as hell in the winter. Currently looking for a cheap used FRS as a winter beater.

funcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funcheung For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
mnuttall

Drives: 2013 Audi Allroad, 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I live in the same city as Tcoat. Last winter was my first with the BRZ, but not the first with a rear wheel drive car (learned to drive in an early '80s Pontiac Parisienne). The BRZ is actually one of the best cars I've driven in snow. The balance is perfect, so with a good set of snow tires (I've got Nokian Hakka R2s) I never had any trouble. It's not as good as my Audi (which also has good snow tires - Pirelli Winter Sottozero III), but that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
mnuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:15 AM   #14
FRSJ

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The max I have plowed through on a continuous road was about 16 inches of light fluffy stuff. The worst was about 12 inches of heavy wet stuff. I have plowed through drifts that were well over my hood. I am lowered by 1 1/2 inches. Have not once even come close to being stuck.
I have had to stop in deep snow to help push AWD vehicles out of my way so I could carry on down the road.
The people that get stuck are the ones that insist that all season or even summer tires are fine in the cold or can't learn to be light on the gas pedal.
Get the snow tires of your choice and go for it.

And now for the pics that so many people must be getting sick of seeing!

that's pretty amazing, now I need to know the exact tires you have!
FRSJ is offline   Reply With Quote