follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm running Amsoil MTG right now. Better than stock, especially during morning (80+ deg F. for me). Still having some issues with higher rpm 3rd to 4th shift, with a bit of grinding. Otherwise, it feels great.

Can't go back to stock fluid, since its impossible to get. Won't use any Valvoline products either. Will try Redline next.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #16
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Since I have already bought Motul, I decided to give it a try first. There is a link here with a lot of information.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19218

Additionally, this website has a much more graphic illustration. It is very easy to follow.

https://howtune.com/articles/158-rep...n-a-scion-fr-s

I removed the fill and drain plugs for MTF. To my surprise, there were almost no metal shavings on the drain plug. But I made a mistake when I put the under cover back. The four bolts that secures the undercover near the engine actually have smaller heads than the rest 7. It took me a very long while to notice this and almost did this three times before I got it right. This is a very basic error and hope others won't have this problem.

The Motul bottle did make things a lot easier. I easily dumped two entire bottles into transmission. Then I poured 0.25L from a third bottle into an empty bottle. Then I dumped all of it into transmission. The Motul bottle is basically a measured bottle with a flexible spout. This makes life a lot easier. Also I noticed that when I took the fill plug off, it is absolutely clean and dry. So I am wondering one might overfill the transmission if he keeps pumping MTF until it overflows a bit. It is a lot safer with Motul bottle.

The diff drain plug did have a lot of metal shavings, which is consistent with what others have reported. According to my previous experience, I expect to see a lot less metal shavings next time. Currently I have 30k on my BRZ. The next MTF and diff gear oil change would be minimum 40k later. I cannot put 1.3L gear oil into transmission. It started to spill out at about 1.2L.

I am very tired after engine oil change, tire rotation, MTF and diff oil change. Will test it tomorrow or on Monday. This is also my 1st 30k 'maintenance package'. I feel very comfortable to put engine air filter, cabin air filter and brake fluid to some distance future.

Last edited by qqzj; 08-26-2017 at 02:43 AM.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:24 AM   #17
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
I'm running Amsoil MTG right now. Better than stock, especially during morning (80+ deg F. for me). Still having some issues with higher rpm 3rd to 4th shift, with a bit of grinding. Otherwise, it feels great.

Can't go back to stock fluid, since its impossible to get. Won't use any Valvoline products either. Will try Redline next.
Why is it impossible to get?? Dealers should have it.
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #18
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The factory fluid is not available in North america.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62288
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
After driving with the new Motul Gear 300 for about 200 miles, my impression is that the new fluid is slightly better from 4 to 5, and from standstill to 1st. It is actually a bit worse from 1 to 2, and from 2 to 1. The characteristics remind me of the car when new. So my current theory is that the actual driving will 'shear' the MTF and make it thinner. Therefore the same MTF would change its characteristics during its life. I slightly prefer the feeling before the fluid change, but the difference is minor. If it is indeed due to age and use, it seems that one has to accept this kind of result.

I won't change it again for at least 50k miles. My next experiment might be Pentonsin.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote