follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2017, 03:43 AM   #57
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
How about a little more information about the nature of the noise.

Does it just do it one time per stroke or does it continually squeak when the clutch pedal is depressed .. ??

Does it squeak when the clutch pedal is NOT depressed .. ??

@Ultramaroon will hopefully be on the case .....

humfrz
It does it one time per stroke - squeakes like a creeky old bed once it gets to about 70% of the way down. Then it makes the same noise when it is coming back through the same area on the way back up. When this is happening it feels kind of 'soggy' when it's in that area.

The weird thing is it doesn't happen most of the time I drive it. Only when things are really warm (mainly when I've been in traffic for ages and been constantly using the clutch). So I know if I take it to the shop it probably won't be doing it.

The fact it started on the last lap of a track session (with my non-existent Rev matching ability) last month and continued the whole way home makes me think something is damaged.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:48 AM   #58
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Your remark about feeling less compliant gets my attention. If it feels like it's binding it's time to get in there and clean out the dust from your new clutch. Don't break your fork.
Wouldn't have the first idea how to do this! The only suggestion I've had from a mate who was with me at the track is potentially boiled some fluid. I had another mechanic mate take it for a drive and, obviously, it wasn't doing it.

I do have a perfectly good 35k OEM clutch sat in my garage for the shop to put back in if needed.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 AM   #59
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
It does it one time per stroke - squeakes like a creeky old bed once it gets to about 70% of the way down. Then it makes the same noise when it is coming back through the same area on the way back up. When this is happening it feels kind of 'soggy' when it's in that area.

The weird thing is it doesn't happen most of the time I drive it. Only when things are really warm (mainly when I've been in traffic for ages and been constantly using the clutch). So I know if I take it to the shop it probably won't be doing it.

The fact it started on the last lap of a track session (with my non-existent Rev matching ability) last month and continued the whole way home makes me think something is damaged.
The squeak could be caused by the end of the rod that comes out of the slave cylinder is dry and when it pushes on a dry socket of the clutch fork ..... it makes that sound.

That spot can be lubricated like @Ultramaroon suggests here:

"Quick & dirty:
1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble."

If it doesn't happen that often ..... and it really doesn't bother you ..... I'd just leave it alone. I reckon it would take several decades of use to wear out ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
PulpBrah (07-05-2017), Teseo (07-06-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #60
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,617 Times in 18,980 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
^^^ That's my guerrilla method for lubing the main pivot just inside the bell housing. Step six is the pin @humfrz was talking about.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #61
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Wouldn't have the first idea how to do this! The only suggestion I've had from a mate who was with me at the track is potentially boiled some fluid. I had another mechanic mate take it for a drive and, obviously, it wasn't doing it.

I do have a perfectly good 35k OEM clutch sat in my garage for the shop to put back in if needed.
You would have to drop the transmission. It's not a beginner's project.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #62
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Wow my brand new clutch is making the same exact noise as the poster above. Creaks like an old bed when the clutch is near full disengaged. And you can feel the creaks in the pedal too...

Also I can smell clutch everytime I enter my garage now, does a new clutch take a while to break in? I have 200 miles on it and I'm going to continue to take it easy for the next 300 miles as well.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #63
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Wow my brand new clutch is making the same exact noise as the poster above. Creaks like an old bed when the clutch is near full disengaged. And you can feel the creaks in the pedal too...

Also I can smell clutch everytime I enter my garage now, does a new clutch take a while to break in? I have 200 miles on it and I'm going to continue to take it easy for the next 300 miles as well.
If you did the install yourself, did you happen to lubricate any parts during reinstall? If so, what places and with what kind of lubricant?

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #64
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
If you did the install yourself, did you happen to lubricate any parts during reinstall? If so, what places and with what kind of lubricant?

Thanks,
Eric
I took the car to Greulich's in Scottsdale who you may have heard of before.

I told them to lube the clutch fork and the pivot and they said that they already do that and I emphasized that they need to pay special attention to this.

I'm already kinda pissed with them because a nut or bolt rattled off my car while I was driving home.

I hope they did everything they said they would! Either way I'm going to have them take a look at it, I just hope they don't give push back if fixing it requires dropping the transmission again.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #65
PulpBrah

Drives: 2014 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
The squeak could be caused by the end of the rod that comes out of the slave cylinder is dry and when it pushes on a dry socket of the clutch fork ..... it makes that sound.

That spot can be lubricated like @Ultramaroon suggests here:

"Quick & dirty:
1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble."

If it doesn't happen that often ..... and it really doesn't bother you ..... I'd just leave it alone. I reckon it would take several decades of use to wear out ....

humfrz
Can I use a spray white-lithium silicon grease here instead of the lucas? I'm getting the issue too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post

Did you fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post

Thanks,
Eric
I'm getting the same noise when depressing my clutch to ~70%, and I installed installed the new clutch kit, Velox fork, and Velox clutch pivot myself. First time taking on a project like this.

I lubricated a lot of the screws going back in with high-temp aluminum grease. I lubed the input shaft, but I did not lube the TOB itself. I watched the Exedy video which said to lube it then wipe it down so it doesn't splatter everywhere. I should note that there was some surface rust on the input shaft by the time I put the transmission back in. I also forgot to change the pilot bearing.

Any ideas? Besides the fact that I did a sloppy install?
PulpBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #66
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpBrah View Post
Can I use a spray white-lithium silicon grease here instead of the lucas? I'm getting the issue too.

Did you fix this?

I'm getting the same noise when depressing my clutch to ~70%, and I installed installed the new clutch kit, Velox fork, and Velox clutch pivot myself. First time taking on a project like this.

I lubricated a lot of the screws going back in with high-temp aluminum grease. I lubed the input shaft, but I did not lube the TOB itself. I watched the Exedy video which said to lube it then wipe it down so it doesn't splatter everywhere. I should note that there was some surface rust on the input shaft by the time I put the transmission back in. I also forgot to change the pilot bearing.

Any ideas? Besides the fact that I did a sloppy install?
I'll defer to ol @Ultramaroon on this one ....... he knows a lot about clutches.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
PulpBrah (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #67
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
What did you use to lube the pivots on the velox fork? I guess I should first ask if you lubed it.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #68
PulpBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
What did you use to lube the pivots on the velox fork? I guess I should first ask if you lubed it.
I'm pretty sure I used the grease packet that came in the package.... if not then I used either the high-temp aluminum stuff or WD-40.... in which case I'm an idiot. I did lube it for sure, but I didn't use a blob like I should have.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #69
PulpBrah

I should also note that I installed the kartboy transmission mount insert and mtec shifter spring.. I don't think it's relevant though.
The Following User Says Thank You to PulpBrah For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #70
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I used the grease packet that came in the package.... if not then I used either the high-temp aluminum stuff or WD-40.... in which case I'm an idiot. I did lube it for sure, but I didn't use a blob like I should have.
If you used the supplied grease, then Eric might have some input regarding compatibility.

Either way, the spray-on stuff is better than nothing. I doubt it will last.

Pull it apart. Clean it. Lube it. Put it back together.