follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #15
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
learn in a beater Miata or something. that's what I did. (although miatas weren't exactly beaters 20 years ago lol)
I did still manage to blow 2 transmissions in my civic when I was still new to manual.
heck, I have grenade 2 transmissions on my 240sx and that was only like, 9 years ago? (caught one on vid drifting at ebisu, the other was just daily driving half throttle up freeway onramp) ironically never blew a famously fragile T50 in 2 AE86, one with a 20v swap.
I'm still not perfect but, much better?
been driving stick for over 20 years and hate auto trans on everything but a truck or SUV.

I think the MT on FRS is great, unless you intend to drift. cant clutch kick an automatic.

http://www.poweredbymax.net/

Last edited by Shinchu; 06-28-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: i have a love/hate relationship with trannies
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,573 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
MT Elitist Corps
Semper Fi, motherfucker.

OP, even without an instructor I bet you'll get the hang of it in a few hours. It's not some exotic skill attainable by only the chosen few.

It'll also increase the length of your penis by at least an inch unless you're a girl. In that case you'll just have to put up with sexist dudes' advice and admiration. :/
Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,920 Times in 16,467 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
Always thought you had for some reason.

Perhaps it's your age

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,920 Times in 16,467 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catswithglasses View Post
So I kinda want to buy used an FR-S/BRZ. Possibly one that already has some useful mods on it. However, the ones that do have mods seem to have a manual transmission. And I've never driven a manual, though I have a pretty good idea of how it works.

Do you guys think it would be stupid to buy a manual FR-S/BRZ without knowing how to drive manual?
And would you say that owning a manual as your daily is annoying/inconvenient?
Back when I was learning how to drive ...... a manual transmission was the only choice (in average price range cars).

Granted, they were less complex because they had only half as many forward gears.......

Yep, even if you have never driven a MT, have someone drive it up to an empty parking lot and leave you with the car. You'll figure it out.....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #19
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When in doubt just YouTube some Best Motoring videos. I think gansan drives the best.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY"]S2000 Prototype in Nurburgring - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #20
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
s0ggyrice made the best how to stick shift videos on YouTube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59-pWSPoZU"]how to drive stick manual basics (remake with uphill starts) - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #21
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catswithglasses View Post
So I kinda want to buy used an FR-S/BRZ. Possibly one that already has some useful mods on it. However, the ones that do have mods seem to have a manual transmission. And I've never driven a manual, though I have a pretty good idea of how it works.

Do you guys think it would be stupid to buy a manual FR-S/BRZ without knowing how to drive manual?
And would you say that owning a manual as your daily is annoying/inconvenient?
First, what kind of "useful" mods are you talking about? Depending on these mods, I would most likely rather have a stock FR-S and mod it myself.

Second, I've met people who have bought a manual FR-S without prior experience, even one who drove it out of the dealership lot without a test drive just to avoid embarassment with the salesman. And it's only annoying at first for a few days or weeks at most, because after that, it'll become completely second nature. Everyone has to learn somehow.

I was just lucky to have my dad teach me. Now I have a slightly harder time driving an automatic than I do a manual.

My advice: If you have friends that have manual cars, try asking them to teach you, or definitely take classes. Even if you buy the car without doing any of these, it won't take long to get the hang of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #22
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Probably because I defend the AT in the monthly MT vs AT civil wars. The ATs in these cars are not the slush boxes that people seem to think of when auto is brought up.

I hate it when people make driving one seem like it is some special skill or mystical ability.
QFT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Dont think about it, just get it.

The only people that complain about manual being "annoying" or hard to daily in traffic are old people or young kids that haven't even driven one and use that as an excuse as to why they chose the auto....

/thread
As a "mature" driver, I could easily say the only people that complain about auto transmissions are kids that think driving a stick is "manly". BS.
And yes, us old folks had no choice when we learned to drive - all manual.
If you are in city traffic, bumper-to-bumper, etc., it is a PITA to drive a manual. Not difficult, a PITA.
I am looking for a paddle-shifted track car (like the FR-S) because it is faster shifting and allows more wheel and braking control than the MT.

To the OP - the twins are easy to learn as a manual transmission - even us old guys have no problem with them. Just get someone that understands and drives a MT to teach you the basics in a big empty parking lot!
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote