follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #71
Semicolon

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Being a brand new member and having just bought a 2012 86 I am now seriously worried about my purchase.

Took it for a service at Toyota and they replaced the ECU under warranty (TSB i guess?) even though the car is outside of warranty by 6months.

So when the vvt mechanism fails and the car is running on 4psi oil pressure, even low rpm will destroy then engine? :/

I have got a CEL twice now, P0351, so luckily a bad coil or sparkplug.

This makes me worried as an engine rebuild is not something you bargain on a car with just 30k miles.

ps. sorry for the off topic post.
Semicolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #72
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicolon View Post
Being a brand new member and having just bought a 2012 86 I am now seriously worried about my purchase.

Took it for a service at Toyota and they replaced the ECU under warranty (TSB i guess?) even though the car is outside of warranty by 6months.

So when the vvt mechanism fails and the car is running on 4psi oil pressure, even low rpm will destroy then engine? :/

This makes me worried as an engine rebuild is not something you bargain on a car with just 30k miles.

I don't know what to think anymore man. You really shouldn't go on worried about failure just like you shouldn't worry about flying because of terrorists.

Yet, you read these forums and you hAve your own personal mishaps making it difficult to ignore the warning signs.

Boosting your cat significantly increases the risks. I wouldn't do that with earlier generation models.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #73
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I stand by my previous statement, that you have a poor understanding of how TSBs work.
Whatever man, I get the vibe your upset I got my car repaired under warranty and that's just shitty. We are all in this together on the forums supporting and like each other's cars.

Should you ever pop one of these common codes like p0018 and it be a big issue I hope the dealer does you right.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #74
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Whatever man, I get the vibe your upset I got my car repaired under warranty and that's just shitty. We are all in this together on the forums supporting and like each other's cars.

Should you ever pop one of these common codes like p0018 and it be a big issue I hope the dealer does you right.
I'm upset? I think you need to go back and re-read what I wrote.

I've been dealing with various forums for 20 years now... if there's one common thread I've seen across all the different enthusiast forums, it's that car owners have a general poor understanding of how warranty and TSBs work, and how to have their problems fixed in a manner that benefits everyone involved.

TSBs are issued to fix specific issues that the manufacturer has pinpointed. It may or may not apply to warranty issues, so you can't just take a TSB and say "it covers my warranty claim"

But you can think whatever you want about this. I'm just pointing out the fact that your situation is not covered under the powertrain warranty.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #75
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Hello Semicolon and welcome to our group .......

If your car is running OK, I'd suggest you just perform the scheduled maintenance and drive it.

One can get paranoid when reading about all of the problems other people seem to be having with their cars.

If your car gets sick ...... it will show you light on the dashboard and that will lead you to a code which explains the problem.

Meanwhile, I suggest you just drive and enjoy your machine .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (04-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #76
Semicolon

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Hello, thank you!

Yeah this morning to work it was pure bliss running it through the revs.
Semicolon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semicolon For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 03:46 AM   #77
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello, thank you!

Yeah this morning to work it was pure bliss running it through the revs.

Exactly. Just have fun and don't give too much importance on the "experts" over here. If something goes wrong, the dealer will fix it for you. Not the internet, not the forums.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:56 AM   #78
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Reading the forums will get you paranoid in a hurry. Intern's disease...

Remember, most people never mess with their car or tune it and most people never have a lick of problems with this car. Check out https://www.truedelta.com/Scion-FR-S/reliability-1096 and see how good the FRS reliability is (the BRZ numbers are very similar) and for a TUNER car, these numbers are astoundingly good for reliability. On here are a lot of amateur mechanics and DIY tuners and guys who push the envelope. On here, there are enthusiasts and that's why you hear about problems. There's one thread for posting about how you have not had a prob with your car today, thousands for problems you have had. People don't come to internet forums to discuss how well thier car is doing, they come online to diagnose problems.

Relax.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-28-2017), strat61caster (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #79
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Exactly. Just have fun and don't give too much importance on the "experts" over here. If something goes wrong, the dealer will fix it for you. Not the internet, not the forums.
Except when they won't because your warranty ran out, you fucked with the car or you drove the living crap out of it until it broke. why should they fix it under those conditions? Do people think warranty repairs are free? We all pay for those repairs in some manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Reading the forums will get you paranoid in a hurry. Intern's disease...

Remember, most people never mess with their car or tune it and most people never have a lick of problems with this car. Check out https://www.truedelta.com/Scion-FR-S/reliability-1096 and see how good the FRS reliability is (the BRZ numbers are very similar) and for a TUNER car, these numbers are astoundingly good for reliability. On here are a lot of amateur mechanics and DIY tuners and guys who push the envelope. On here, there are enthusiasts and that's why you hear about problems. There's one thread for posting about how you have not had a prob with your car today, thousands for problems you have had. People don't come to internet forums to discuss how well thier car is doing, they come online to diagnose problems.

Relax.
This is exactly the type of thread that spreads the paranoia.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #80
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Except when they won't because your warranty ran out, you fucked with the car or you drove the living crap out of it until it broke. why should they fix it under those conditions? Do people think warranty repairs are free? We all pay for those repairs in some manner.

This is exactly the type of thread that spreads the paranoia.
Oh no, I didn't mean about fixes within guarantee. It was a general statement.

For me paranoia is to not follow the advise of your dealer and follow someone on the internet that you don't know anything about him. Then if something goes wrong, to go back to the dealer pretending that you didn't change anything (because you feel guilty or you want to cheat) and then request for a fix (within or outside guarantee). Even if someone thinks that the change was irrelevant with the problem, it is not his job to decide. It is the job of the dealer.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #81
Tcoat

Quote:

For me paranoia is to not follow the advise of your dealer and follow someone on the internet that you don't know anything about him. Then if something goes wrong, to go back to the dealer pretending that you didn't change anything (because you feel guilty or you want to cheat) and then request for a fix (within or outside guarantee). Even if someone thinks that the change was irrelevant with the problem, it is not his job to decide. It is the job of the dealer.
Exactly!
nikitopo (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #82
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I mean, my dealer service advisor told me when challenged on the topic that the transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed at 22,5 or anywhere near that even though it says exactly that in the vendor literature that comes with the car. I'm sure it had more to do with them not wanting to do it since I bought it certified used at around 23,000 and it should have already been done. Still, I changed it myself not long after since they wouldn't and it cleared up most of my rough shifting into second. A "trust but verify" policy on these cars really is your best bet because a lot of dealers out there can't even follow their own factory recommendations.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #83
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
I mean, my dealer service advisor told me when challenged on the topic that the transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed at 22,5 or anywhere near that even though it says exactly that in the vendor literature that comes with the car. I'm sure it had more to do with them not wanting to do it since I bought it certified used at around 23,000 and it should have already been done. Still, I changed it myself not long after since they wouldn't and it cleared up most of my rough shifting into second. A "trust but verify" policy on these cars really is your best bet because a lot of dealers out there can't even follow their own factory recommendations.
Where does it say the fluid needs to be changed at 22? I see an inspect at 22 not a change. In fact there is no "Change" required at any point for the MT all the services just show inspect and change if required.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...2&d=1449790739
Old 04-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #84
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
This plays into a lot of why dealers declare that the warranty doesn't apply, and why it's a dealer-specific issue. I mean sure, manufacturers don't like paying claims, but it takes a special regional rep douchebag to go around checking autocross entry lists.

First, it wasn't 6 grand. Dealer is trying to make you think they did you a solid. So you come back.

Why would a dealer want to deny coverage without even submitting a mfr claim? Money. Pure and simple. They're a business, and you're a mark...er...sales lead.

As a private customer without warranty coverage, doing all manner of diagnostic work, they get paid by you, at $hop rate, and the meter just keeps running. Oh, and any parts they replace? Guess who pays for those? Did I mention there's a (hefty) markup? Not in warranty, you're a gold mine.

Mfr claim? Agreed-upon rates. Flat rate work, usually an amount of billable time that most mechanics can't pull off (at least, not without cutting corners). So, mechanics don't make money on it. They really don't like doing that work. Lots of places doing takata airbags that are only getting paid for 12 minutes. Parts get paid at lower-than-retail. The service advisor's pay is at least partially dependent on commission. They can't make margin on parts, labor hours, or labor rate against what the mfr will agree to pay. So, they have incentive to make it the consumer's problem. If that's not enough, the service or general manager will push for that too. I mean, you don't think the poor guy doing the work is actually getting $95/hr do you?

One of those scenarios makes the service advisor's and mechanic's week. The other makes them wonder why they got out of bed. It's not like they're unicef.

And that's why it's fairly pervasive, but generally dealer-specific. Not every last one of them is run in a dishonest fashion. Find a cooperative dealer. Keep sending them your business.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote