follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I am old school and have used analog gauges that the needle covered more of a difference than you are worried about. Is the temp going up, down and is it very hot.
I learned about how my engine reacted to driving type and ambient temp and only worried if I saw some large abnormality.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zypher View Post
As far as pressure readings go. You want to know your highest pressure which in a mechanical system is right after the pump.

For oil temperature I personally would rather know the hottest temperature rather than the average. As overheating the oil is worse for engine health than not waiting until the oil is all the way up to temp.

Just my two cents
Why the highest pressure? If some area of the engine is seeing low pressure then that could cause engine failure. I don't even know if too much oil pressure is possible.

So we agree that monitoring the highest temp location is best, but where would that be, or is the difference not enough to matter?
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I am old school and have used analog gauges that the needle covered more of a difference than you are worried about. Is the temp going up, down and is it very hot.
I learned about how my engine reacted to driving type and ambient temp and only worried if I saw some large abnormality.
This was my thoughts as well. Are things trending in the bad direction, and if so, how fast? That and, in the case of oil pressure loss/failure, 'wow the needle just crashed'. With that said, it would be great to know the error and in what direction it is, and to be of the least variance as possible. Like how changing diameter on tires effects the speedo, if I know the variance and if it is up and down I can make corrections to how I read the gauges.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
zypher

Drives: WR Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Why the highest pressure? If some area of the engine is seeing low pressure then that could cause engine failure. I don't even know if too much oil pressure is possible.

So we agree that monitoring the highest temp location is best, but where would that be, or is the difference not enough to matter?
The way a cars oiling system functions your highest pressure location will be the best because you want to know if you are generating enough oil pressure before it enters the rest of the passages in the engine. If something down stream fails you will see a drop in pressure at that location because changes in pressure will travel up stream.

Overall you pressure is mostly going to be linked to oil temperature, as oil heats up it thins out and your engine will generate less oil pressure. If you have mechanical failure you will see a drop in pressure from that as well regardless of where you monitor the system.

For the temperature, in general it's all going to be about the same unless you are running an oil cooler. In that case pre-cooler is the best location.
zypher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zypher For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #19
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypher View Post
The way a cars oiling system functions your highest pressure location will be the best because you want to know if you are generating enough oil pressure before it enters the rest of the passages in the engine. If something down stream fails you will see a drop in pressure at that location because changes in pressure will travel up stream.

Overall you pressure is mostly going to be linked to oil temperature, as oil heats up it thins out and your engine will generate less oil pressure. If you have mechanical failure you will see a drop in pressure from that as well regardless of where you monitor the system.

For the temperature, in general it's all going to be about the same unless you are running an oil cooler. In that case pre-cooler is the best location.
This is good stuff, thanks. It makes sense, closest to the pump because everything else is down stream from that location.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #20
Irace86.2.0

Looking again at this diagram, it isn't clear if any of the oil galley plugs are accessible. I know the top one is accessible, but today I looked and the rear plug is blocked by the transmission, I think. I believe this is it, between 10 and 11 o'clock behind the plate. Regardless, it is not accessible the the one in front is. I'm guessing the bottom plug is buried in the oil pan, and anyways, I don't want to drain the oil to install this sensor.

Which means, I'm going to use the top oil galley plug for the oil temp, and I plan to by brass tee fitting to tee into the stock oil pressure sensor location.