follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
macaulay7

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Heated seats stopped working

I recently replaced my clutch and on the test drive discovered that my heated seats no longer work. Both driver and passenger do not work; no light in the button and no heat in the seat.

I checked the fuses which were fine and took the centre console back out to check for any obvious damage to wiring and found nothing. I am curious if anybody knows if there is a temperature sensor or setting that could have been affected when I unplugged the battery or some other common point that I could check before diving into this wire by wire.

Thanks, John
macaulay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
did you try replacing the fuses even if they appeared fine?
otherwise only other common wisdom I can think of is disconnect the connector to the switches and reseat it, maybe it isn't seated correctly. I don't have the oem heated seats so I don't know what that connector looks like, but im certain its there.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
Eman

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you had to take apart the center console and the fuses are good (check them with a tester, not just by sight) then it has to be something in the wiring in the center console. Are you sure you plugged the switches back in? There has to be a loose connection somewhere.

Eman
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
macaulay7

I had done a visual and put the fuses on the dvom and they checked out but I put new ones in just in case and still no luck.

I pulled the switches and the terminals appear to be seated correctly in the connectors. I cannot think of anything else that was disconnected when I had taken the center console out. Ill have to pull out the manual and check things one by one to find the culprit.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaulay7 View Post
I had done a visual and put the fuses on the dvom and they checked out but I put new ones in just in case and still no luck.

I pulled the switches and the terminals appear to be seated correctly in the connectors. I cannot think of anything else that was disconnected when I had taken the center console out. Ill have to pull out the manual and check things one by one to find the culprit.
Did you pinch a wire someplace along the line? It may look fine but still be broken inside. You may indeed have to dive in wire by wire but I would start at those spots where it could have been caught in the console.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Eman

What he said. Test the wires, you can get a good tester that you don't have to splice into the wire to check. Also, I wonder if there is an in-line fuse in the heated seat system somewhere. Another thought... Does it have a separate ground? Maybe it grounds under the console somewhere and it got knocked off or disconnected?

Eman
Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
macaulay7

Found the heated seat section in the manual and checked the wires. Powers and grounds all good. Even did a pin drag on the connectors which was also fine.

Decided to take apart the switches and ended up figuring out the issue. There was some debris that had decided to gum things up so I cleaned the internal contacts. The light source in these switches is a super tiny incandescent bulb and on closer inspection the filament looked broken. Sure enough after reinstalling the switches I now have heat again but no light in the switch when its in the on position. Not a big deal I can deal with that later.

Thanks for the help guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to macaulay7 For This Useful Post:
Mazikowski (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #8
Eman

Awesome, good work. You can file this under "for what its worth" but In the future it can be a good idea to add a little dialectic grease to plugs when you pull them apart.
Eman

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #9
Mazikowski

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaulay7 View Post
Found the heated seat section in the manual and checked the wires. Powers and grounds all good. Even did a pin drag on the connectors which was also fine.

Decided to take apart the switches and ended up figuring out the issue. There was some debris that had decided to gum things up so I cleaned the internal contacts. The light source in these switches is a super tiny incandescent bulb and on closer inspection the filament looked broken. Sure enough after reinstalling the switches I now have heat again but no light in the switch when its in the on position. Not a big deal I can deal with that later.

Thanks for the help guys!
Well, that explains why the light in my driver side switch went out... after replacing my clutch, oddly enough.
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Bd792010

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ
Hey guys, sorry for digging up an old thread. But I have a quick question. I'm having a similar issue with my heated seats not working except both buttons light up. Though I think my issue may have stemmed from me removing a ground for a head unit which was connected to the ground wire running to the e brake.

After removing the wire which was connected to the e brake ground I simply wrapped it back up with electrical tape and realized a week later that neither of my heated seats were working. Though I was messing with it today and my driver side heated up intermittently and then ceased to work again.

I know nothing when it comes to wiring so any input offered would be greatly appreciated.
Bd792010 is offline   Reply With Quote