follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #4425
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post

Do you think the BRZ with the base brakes can do 20 minutes sessions without having to "manage" the brake all the time.

I'll be running semi-track pads (like the hawk hp+), and sticky tires (rival, rs3...).
I was running Hawk HPS in my RSX.
Yes, but not with that setup.
Unless you are a very slow driver that will not be enough pad. The reason you had to "manage" your brakes is because you were using a pad unsuitable for the track. Check the brake pad thread in this forum for suggestions.

Your best bet will likely be to swap pads for the track.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #4426
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'll be running semi-track pads (like the hawk hp+), and sticky tires (rival, rs3...).
You were running street pads on the track of course you had problems. If you're willing to have a real race pad in there I guarantee you'll be happy with the 'base' calipers.

Nobody has tested it yet, but I have a strong suspicion the upgraded calipers on the PP will need pad compounds just as aggressive as you will need for the base calipers in order to perform. They'll just look prettier while you spend more money for a less common pad shape.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
nico_rsx (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #4427
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm going to buy a BRZ, probably next month. I'm in canada and we don't have the PP, except for the yellow edition, which include the PP.
I'm more interested in the limited, because the yellow edition end up costing much more.
But I'm concerned that maybe I'll regret not having the big brake of the PP.
I do mostly autocross (for which the base brake will be more than enough), but I'll also do a couple of track days per year. 20 minutes sessions.
In my base RSX (not type S), I had to go easy on the brake or they were seriously overheating. It was frustrating, so in the last 2 years I stopped doing track day, and did only AutoX.

Do you think the BRZ with the base brakes can do 20 minutes sessions without having to "manage" the brake all the time.

I am no pro in the track world by any means, but I have lurked on the forums for quite some time and do have some track experience. From what I've read and personal experience, the brakes are plenty good until adding a ton more HP (going with boost). Everyone on here recommends pads and fluid and you should be fine. Adding a MCB increased pedal feel a ton for me. I don't think you would regret buying a model with base brakes.

Edit: whoops, didn't see other people had already responded.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
nico_rsx (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #4428
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks all for the answers. I guess I'll take a look at the brake pads thread before choosing a future pad. I wasn't aware the HPS were so inapropriate for track. They did great for AutoX though...
I'm not a fan of changing pad before/after each track day, but I could choose a more track oriented pad for the summer, and use the OEM for the winter.

@Brayden_23: What does MCB stand for?
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #4429
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Thanks all for the answers. I guess I'll take a look at the brake pads thread before choosing a future pad. I wasn't aware the HPS were so inapropriate for track. They did great for AutoX though...
I'm not a fan of changing pad before/after each track day, but I could choose a more track oriented pad for the summer, and use the OEM for the winter.

@Brayden_23: What does MCB stand for?
MCB is a master cylinder brace. Something to remove the deflection of the master cylinder when you press on the brake. They are relatively cheap and worth every penny.

Also on the note of not wanting to swap out pads, I don't know the process for many other cars, but I will say that swapping out brakes on the 86 has got to be one of the easiest things to do. Should be a quick process once you do it once and get a feel for what needs to happen.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #4430
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm going to buy a BRZ, probably next month. I'm in canada and we don't have the PP, except for the yellow edition, which include the PP.
I'm more interested in the limited, because the yellow edition end up costing much more.
But I'm concerned that maybe I'll regret not having the big brake of the PP.
I do mostly autocross (for which the base brake will be more than enough), but I'll also do a couple of track days per year. 20 minutes sessions.
In my base RSX (not type S), I had to go easy on the brake or they were seriously overheating. It was frustrating, so in the last 2 years I stopped doing track day, and did only AutoX.

Hello Niko, I track a FRS up here in quebec from 1 month after purchase and still plan on tracking it until the chasis breaks in half. Here are my experiences so far.

Base brakes are enough even for R-compounds. I ran the Nittos NT01 and the maxxis RC-1 and didnt have problems on brakes, even after 30minutes of hard tracking, no need for cooldown ever. Now the pads are the bigger thing. When I was still a newbie, I though HPS was enough actually, until I suddenly cooked my pads in a single 20 minutes session. We could call that session the awekening (I also ran 3 seconds faster than my fastest time ever there). After that I swapped for DTC-60 and never looked back. I run them on streets but they do dust and are noisy as hell, if that doesnt bother you, you could just run them year long (I use them even on winter).

Also, mind you that brakes are very track dependant. You wont have problems at Saint-Eustache, Montmagny or Icar (longtrack) even on HP+ or similar hybrid compounds most of the time but you will cook those on Icar (short track), Sanair, Calabogie, Mont-Tremblant any basically any other track with long straights followed quick successions of small braking zones. The pads wont cool down enough and accumulate more heat.

Last thing, brake ducts are your friend. Even if you dont "need" them, my pads last almost 50% more with the ducts than without. So they end up paying for themselfs quickly.

I hope to see you on track. Check out "Track and Time" if you are interested in time attack type of competition or Sunday Cup Lapping Club for HPDE, we are a couple of guys to run twins on those events (2-5 on average).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #4431
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hello track friends! I noticed something interesting looking through high res images of my car on track this past weekend and in multiple shots I can see genuine daylight under the inside front wheel!?!?

I've done about ten track events now, and suspension wise, I'm on stock dampers with RCE yellow springs, and about 3 deg negative static camber in the front with camber plates. Toe zeroed out all the way around, factory sway bars. Tires = Re71rs, 235/45 x 17.

I know I'm giving up some time with only 3/4 of the tires on the ground, and I'm thinking that the strange mid corner intrusions by the nannies that I have been feeling (despite slow handed butter smooth inputs) may be because I'm lifting the front inside wheel and the system freaks out!? Anyone else experiencing this?

And also, what is the best way to try and dial that out as seemlessly as possible? Would it be a different sway bar in the front? Should I even care or let it ride? Advice welcomed track gurus
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #4432
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@Joesurf79 You mentioned "mid corner intrusions by the nannies". Have you tried the "pedal dance"?

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #4433
strat61caster
-

+1 on pedal dance for mid-corner nannies, lifting a wheel isn't a problem if it feels good as far as I'm concerned.

If it's slowing you down that's something else though, sways will help but realistically stiffer springs is what's needed.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #4434
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
@Joesurf79 You mentioned "mid corner intrusions by the nannies". Have you tried the "pedal dance"?
I have heard of the dance but not tried it. Sounds like I'll be giving it a shot!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #4435
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
+1 on pedal dance for mid-corner nannies, lifting a wheel isn't a problem if it feels good as far as I'm concerned.

If it's slowing you down that's something else though, sways will help but realistically stiffer springs is what's needed.
D'oh! I put the RCE yellow springs on in December... Maybe I need to bump up to stiffer springs. And at that point, my dampers are likely overpowered?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #4436
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
I have heard of the dance but not tried it. Sounds like I'll be giving it a shot!
Enjoy

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #4437
strat61caster
-

Quote:
D'oh! I put the RCE yellow springs on in December... Maybe I need to bump up to stiffer springs. And at that point, my dampers are likely overpowered?
Maybe. I haven't investigated too much but coilovers are going to be the easiest option to go stiffer.

But seriously, you wouldn't even be following this path if you hadn't seen a picture of the car. Don't worry about it, if it feels good behind the wheel keep driving it as it is, there's nothing to 'fix' if you're having a good time and the car is performing how you want it to when you're sitting in the drivers seat.

Some cars lift a wheel by design. Especially if you're hitting the curbing to get some rotation out of the car.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9QrrvcIegY"]Formula One Slow Motion - YouTube[/ame]
Old 02-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #4438
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,000 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Tires = Re71rs, 235/45 x 17.
There's your problem. Put the stock tires and wheels back on.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-10-2017)