follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #323
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,573 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
Well then I suppose it's just personal preference at this point. I'll be the first to admit there's a lot I still don't know about the platform. Is there information on that available in the issues forum? I always kind of figured MT > AT in terms of reliability, especially after owning several older Hondas.
Oh, of course! It was a surprise (letdown) for me as well. I am on my second transmission. My first is on my workbench waiting for some apologetic TLC.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #324
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm not always the best at explaining my viewpoint. This time I decided to throw away my High-Road cape and just have fun.
Same goes for me (not always the best at explaining my viewpoint). LOL - I picked up that high-road cape bait you tossed off and got drawn in.
All in good fun, sir.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #325
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
And you don't think people have enough sense to read the former and say, "hm, that's useful" and read the latter and say, "gee, thanks for nothing" and need someone to help them trim out the useless stuff? If they're coming here looking for info, one should assume they're going to think critically about any responses they're going to get, knowing that not everyone strives to actually be helpful on the Internet. If the only response to this thread was "MT or go home" I would hope the OP would ask for some elaboration and not just take that statement as gospel. If they did, though.... well, that's on them.
Yes. Yes I do! We see it here every single day.

Quote:
Thank you. You said it much better than I would have.

I've tilted at many a windmill in my earlier years. People are going to do as they wish.

It's been a couple years since I've participated in an AT-vs-MT thread. I hope I've done the topic some justice here. I'm not always the best at explaining my viewpoint. This time I decided to throw away my High-Road cape and just have fun.
We may have gone a bit too far with our quasi mock debate and convinced people we were firmly in one camp!

Freakin' MT elitist.
shiumai (01-20-2017), Ultramaroon (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #326
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
All in good fun, sir.
Amen! And not a hint of trolling. Tcoat did his best to bait me early on but I knew what he was doing. The only difference in this thread was that I didn't go out of my way to apologize for my MT preference.

If someone were to say "I can ski pretty well. Should I buy skis, or get a snowboard?"

Never going to know unless you actually invest the time and money into learning how. In order to get really competent, you have to get your own gear and learn the subtle effects of each tweak. If you don't go all in you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Being really good with a manual transmission can be a reward unto itself. People either feel it, or they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Freakin' MT elitist.
Goody two shoes!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #327
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Amen! And not a hint of trolling. Tcoat did his best to bait me early on but I knew what he was doing. The only difference in this thread was that I didn't go out of my way to apologize for my MT preference.

If someone were to say "I can ski pretty well. Should I buy skis, or get a snowboard?"

Never going to know unless you actually invest the time and money into learning how. In order to get really competent, you have to get your own gear and learn the subtle effects of each tweak. If you don't go all in you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Being really good with a manual transmission can be a reward unto itself. People either feel it, or they don't.

Goody two shoes!
Snow shoes!!!!!

I still stand behind the content of what I said before. It was just the manner in which I said it that was the bait.
Ultramaroon (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #328
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I have a 2015 AT and a 2016 MT.

I recommend the AT for the OP, unless he thinks he may someday compete with it. The Twins' AT is my favorite slush-box of all the AT's I have driven at the track, but it gives up too much time to the MT on the launch. I have not ran data on them back to back, but I suspect the auto gives up a little time on course too. The launch is the place the butt dyno notices it most.

I love the MT when driving at, or near the limit, but I prefer our auto for driving around town and road trips. ...and the AT is still plenty fun for "spirited" driving. I like the AT "sport" mode. (not to be confused with the stability system's "sport" mode which I am not a fan of)
Actually when you go read the articles at the release of the car everyone admits the A/T was faster around the course they were using. The M/T's gears are almost too close together.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #329
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Goody two shoes!
"Being really good with a manual transmission can be a reward unto itself. People either feel it, or they don't."

Thats really true actually...when you drive MT like your hand and feet..that feeling..just amazing.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
Raven34 (01-20-2017), Ultramaroon (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #330
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Snow shoes!!!!!

I still stand behind the content of what I said before. It was just the manner in which I said it that was the bait.
Oh, of course!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #331
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Actually when you go read the articles at the release of the car everyone admits the A/T was faster around the course they were using. The M/T's gears are almost too close together.
My wife and I ran both of the cars at our test n tune, bone stock. We even left the spare tire and trunk stuff in.

I was faster in the MT (I did a few laps in both). My wife didn't drive the MT until after I prepped it for CS, so she never got to AB apples to apples.

IIRC, I was about 3/4 second faster on the ~30 second course. Most of that is probably in the launch, but it's unlikley the launch itself was .75 seconds faster than the auto.

I could see the AT having an advantage on a course where the speeds require a lot of shifting in critical turns, but I doubt the gap created at the launch could be overcome on a 60-70 second competition course.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
why? (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #332
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The AT on the twins is really good. I also drive a Mk7 GTI with a DSG and the twins AT blows it out of the water. Sure the VW DSG shifts slightly faster in manual mode but in the twins, shifting in manual mode is so much more viseral especially downshifts where the car rev matches.

The VW DSG also rev-matches on downshifts but you can hardly tell.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #333
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Some people complain about driving a MT in traffic and yes, it can suck. But not once have I seen a thread where someone said "I got the MT but I really wish I had gotten the AT". However, here on this forum you can search and find some threads where some people have commented "I should have gotten the manual".
Its because I think MT drivers are more likely to wreck their cars. Manual drivers who wreck their cars aren't going to go on a forum and say I should have gotten an automatic.... they have more important things to worry about like injuries, insurance, possible lawsuits, getting a car that works (if thats their only car).

With manual cars, there's more to keep track of (clutch engagement, being in the correct gear, etc), it diverts attention away from making up for the bad habits of other drivers .... like other drivers who slam on their brakes in stop and go traffic or change lanes without signaling.

I can see the appeal of manual cars but in an area with a lot of traffic and bad drivers, it can get nerve racking.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:12 PM   #334
kakacarrotcake
Banned

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to kakacarrotcake Send a message via AIM to kakacarrotcake Send a message via Yahoo to kakacarrotcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
Its because I think MT drivers are more likely to wreck their cars. Manual drivers who wreck their cars aren't going to go on a forum and say I should have gotten an automatic.... they have more important things to worry about like injuries, insurance, possible lawsuits, getting a car that works (if thats their only car).

With manual cars, there's more to keep track of (clutch engagement, being in the correct gear, etc), it diverts attention away from making up for the bad habits of other drivers .... like other drivers who slam on their brakes in stop and go traffic or change lanes without signaling.

I can see the appeal of manual cars but in an area with a lot of traffic and bad drivers, it can get nerve racking.
Depends on the person, if anything, driving a manual makes me more aware because it keeps my focus on driving and not on my phone or stereo etc. I can't say the same for anyone else, but driving an auto makes me complacent and distracted. Seems to me that someone in that situation would be more likely to be involved in an accident.
kakacarrotcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kakacarrotcake For This Useful Post:
Braces (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #335
xuimod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
Depends on the person, if anything, driving a manual makes me more aware because it keeps my focus on driving and not on my phone or stereo etc. I can't say the same for anyone else, but driving an auto makes me complacent and distracted. Seems to me that someone in that situation would be more likely to be involved in an accident.
Driving an AT Twin in manual mode is actually quite engaging. In stop and go traffic, manual mode in 1st and 2nd gear keeps it from getting too boring.
The Following User Says Thank You to xuimod For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #336
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post

Not even a little. It does not divert attention from the wheel or driving at all (unless you are just starting out driving and don't know how to drive stick). Where did you find a statistic saying MT is more dangerous than AT?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Raven34 (01-21-2017), why? (01-21-2017)

Tags
know it all, richardsfrs sucks