follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #43
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welp, I reckon you shudda got an FR-S .........

humfrz
this is what happens when you don't wait and buy the new model right away....2018 they will get rid of the torque dip...he should have waited and bought an 86
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #44
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hearing so much on the 2018 yet seeing no official articles on it. Maybe it will come with a quad turbo v8 too.

I could have went a year with no car or I could have settled with a 2017 and gotten a header/tune later down the line to fix the dip. Obvious decision is obvious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Somerandom18 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #45
FX86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
Hearing so much on the 2018 yet seeing no official articles on it. Maybe it will come with a quad turbo v8 too.

I could have went a year with no car or I could have settled with a 2017 and gotten a header/tune later down the line to fix the dip. Obvious decision is obvious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
see you settled...that's the problem
Old 12-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #46
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
see you settled...that's the problem
Hey, FX86 ....... quit messen wich the new guy ........ he's deep into his torque dip depression.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #47
FX86
Banned

Quote:
Hey, FX86 ....... quit messen wich the new guy ........ he's deep into his torque dip depression.

humfrz
he needs to buy a motorcycle..they don't have any torque dip...it will wheelie him right out of that depression
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #48
amcluesent

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To make the 86 more commute-friendly, you'll also want to swap out the stock speakers for a decent sound system, add plenty of damping to the many resonant panels, add sound-absorbent wool to the cavities, remove sound-generator, install auto-dipping mirror and swap to a high-level brake light.
amcluesent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amcluesent For This Useful Post:
Spec C Wannabe (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #49
FX86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcluesent View Post
To make the 86 more commute-friendly, you'll also want to swap out the stock speakers for a decent sound system, add plenty of damping to the resonant panels, add sound-absorbent wool to the cavities, remove sound-generator, install auto-dipping mirror and swap to a high-level brake light.
what he is really saying guys...is to go out and buy yourself a BMW
TMXSTAR (12-30-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #50
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
Only autos I have driven have been dealer courtesy cars, so I can't really judge compared to an auto, though I found heavy stop/go traffic sleep inducing in an auto. Brake off.... wait.... brake on.... snooze.... brake off.... wait.... brake on... snooze.

Minimum crawling speed is about 4mph but if on a hill it will require you to milk the throttle 1mm on and off and be extra smooth or it will lurch (no auto sponge-iness). You can get so slow the rev pick up from the AC coming on actually accelerates the car to 5mph. Below that you'll either need to keep pressure on the clutch to not bog down or coast to a stop, wait for a 10 yard gap and resume. Even if you sit on the clutch constantly you're clutch will last 60k at least and isn't that expensive to replace.

The torque dip is, as said, 'mostly' in people's heads. The only reason I notice it is there is a definite second kick around 4500, which is more positive than the virtual un-noticable pause in acceleration. So I actually like it. Driving in genuine slow traffic amongst normal cars you don't need the power from high RPM, the car has enough torque below 3k to out pull 90% of cars on the road.

One thing I have noticed about this car in heavy stop/go traffic is that the cabin air intake is susceptible to sucking up someone else's exhaust fumes. Stay back from diesels and smoking exhausts. If you smell exhaust, hit the recirc on the AC and open a window.

Also, be aware the car is low. You will find it hides in car parks when you come out from doing the shopping and it's hiding behind other cars and doesn't reveal itself till you get up close. Remember this as it applies on the road too. You tend to hide behind other vehicles and people have a tendency to pull out in front of you as they don't see you until much later. If there is an SUV blocking 'your' view of a junction expect a car coming out of that junction can't see you either.

Wow! This is very well detailed piece of advice. Thank you for your kind comment sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
what he is really saying guys...is to go out and buy yourself a BMW

Pretty much, but almost, if not all, BMWs have more torque than the twin nowadays.

It is not the dilema about the M/T VS A/T in the heavy traffic kind of argument. I test drove both and I have fixed my mind on the M/T.

It is about the FRS/86/BRZ in general for its suitability to drive in the heavy stop-n-go traffic...Yes, I know it can be driven, but how well and long I can live with it...That's only me left to find out. But you guys have already given valuable comments and I would like to thank you all once again.

Actually, I'm kinda torn between M/T BRZ and M/T ND RF at the moment.

That ND RF looks soo nice! But, virtually it doesn't have any space to put my stuffs in the cabin hahaha....
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #51
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
..........Actually, I'm kinda torn between M/T BRZ and M/T ND RF at the moment.

That ND RF looks soo nice! But, virtually it doesn't have any space to put my stuffs in the cabin hahaha....
After owning an NC Miata for several years and a FR-S for several years, I would suggest that if you like the top down experience, get an ND or if you want a solid coupe, get a the BRZ.

They both drive (handling and power) pretty much the same. Fuel ecomomy and dependability are about the same.

They both are fine driving automobiles for general city/commuting or touring.

As far as packing your "stuff", the BRZ has a bit more room (little back seat/expandable trunk). However, we found, that the Miata had sufficient trunk space for a 2-3 week trip for two people ....... if you pack "right".

For touring, the main advantages that the BRZ/FR-S has over the Miata is it has a bit more cabin room (shoulder room), is a bit quieter (easier to converse with a co-pilot and listen to music) and it has a spare tire.

The main advantage that the Miata has over the BRZ/FR-S is ........ the top will go down, adding a dimension to driving that is unique in itself......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spec C Wannabe (12-28-2016), Tcoat (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:16 AM   #52
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
The 86 doesn't really have a ton of places to store stuff, either, but you at least have the backseat area to kinda use as storage, and can fold said seats for more trunk space when you need it, so it's definitely more usable than an MX-5 on a daily basis. You do have bottle holders molded into the 86 doors, and a cup holder insert that goes into the center console space, but if you're going to use it and the power port at the same time, you're basically going to have the drink sitting to the rear of your seats. That's an awkward reaching motion you'd have to make to get it and replace it that you really won't want to do while you're in motion and trying to focus on driving. Still, they're there and available as opposed to not. Since I have the armrest piece above my center console storage space, and I tend to use it, I removed the cup holder insert so I can plug my phone in and lay it down in there while I use the armrest pad during less involved driving. I may change my setup a bit once I get a holder for my phone in the car, but for now I use the door bottle holder when I need to hold a drink. I just make sure it either is a bottle that has a cap or that I drink enough from the can I'm putting in there that it won't spill out from the motions of normal driving. (Edit: Don't expect to hold any of the usual coffee shop cups in those door mounted bottle holders. They're meant for slim containers like most water/soda bottles, and cans aren't recommended there because they can shift, and lacking a cap means spills are a high possibility. For a typical coffee cup you'll need your center console cup holder.)

The glovebox is pretty small, too, but I'm sure it beats the glovebox between the seats in the MX-5. You really can't pack much into this car, so keep that in mind if you decide to get it. I personally appreciate that because it prevents me from getting lazy and letting unnecessary stuff accumulate in my car, or eating/drinking when I really don't need to. Sometimes it's a little annoying when you've grown used to how accommodating modern cars tend to be, but it's not an adjustment that you can't make, and it's got more going on in the cabin than my other car does, so I'm used to having spartan living arrangements in my cars. It's still a very livable daily driver if you don't treat it like a second home.

Last edited by Overdrive; 12-28-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-28-2016), Spec C Wannabe (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #53
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The main advantage that the Miata has over the BRZ/FR-S is ........ the top will go down, adding a dimension to driving that is unique in itself......

humfrz
As much as I was an opponent of convertibles in terms of safety, after owning one I can't deny that the top-down experience is something special, increased danger be damned. If they ever decided to cleave the roof from the 86es to add a roadster to the lineup without losing too much of the handling prowess, I feel they'd be doing themselves a favor for the model's longevity. Just yank the rear seats and leave that space for storing the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #54
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The FRS is a great place to spend time doing any kind of driving. The way a lightweight car with a good chassis drives is its superpower and you get the benefit of that no matter what kind of driving you are doing.

I am in the camp of "What torque dip". If it is there, it certainly has not played a role in my driving experience.

The one reason I would NOT buy the car for inner city driving is the huge blind-spot in the PS rear quarter. Yes my mirrors are adjusted properly, but for the same reason I don't like driving panel-vans, I don't enjoy slice and dice traffic in the FRS.

There is also the fact that I find the car hard to back up precisely with the poor visibility out the back. At night it is no fun to back this thing up. Car needs a rear view camera. If you hare happy driving with your mirrors, none of this will bother you.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-28-2016), Spec C Wannabe (12-28-2016), Tcoat (12-28-2016), Ultramaroon (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #55
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,618 Times in 18,981 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
+1 to obstructed view but far from being a deal breaker.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #56
FX86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
The FRS is a great place to spend time doing any kind of driving. The way a lightweight car with a good chassis drives is its superpower and you get the benefit of that no matter what kind of driving you are doing.

I am in the camp of "What torque dip". If it is there, it certainly has not played a role in my driving experience.

The one reason I would NOT buy the car for inner city driving is the huge blind-spot in the PS rear quarter. Yes my mirrors are adjusted properly, but for the same reason I don't like driving panel-vans, I don't enjoy slice and dice traffic in the FRS.

There is also the fact that I find the car hard to back up precisely with the poor visibility out the back. At night it is no fun to back this thing up. Car needs a rear view camera. If you hare happy driving with your mirrors, none of this will bother you.
install blind spot mirrors..then all your visibility issues will go away...don't even need a backup camera once you learn the dimensions of the car and use the little mirrors to assist with switching lanes and parking
Spec C Wannabe (12-28-2016)