follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
2 questions from recent trackday

I recently went to the last track sessions for the year and encountered 2 unanswered question to myself.

1. The condition of the track was very wet in the morning and cold (Yellow flag throughout first session). Because of the wet condition, I turned on the VSC sport on. I shouldn't have, but I was little skeptical of the wet condition, so turned on for safety reason. Stability control worked its thing a lot and after about 10 minutes, traction and ABS light lit. No abs for the rest of the session. Was the computer just too confused about constant slip and traction control going on and off and it gave itself up?

Tire/wheel diameter is same as stock setting, not staggered.

2. I recently installed apr front splitter with rods attached to the crash bar. Prior to splitter, hood would lift during high speed. However after the splitter, there's minimum amount of hood lift. Could anyone explain how the splitter is affecting airflow towards the hood and causing smaller lift?
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For your first question, I have no clue, but I found that driving on low grip conditions (wet, snow or ice) with any kind of assists on to be harder than not having anything. You are fighting the assists rather than trying to control the car. So as much as they call them "safety" or "driving assists" they are more of a nuissance if you have a minimum of car control.

For your second question, my guess would be that the splitter is working as intended, creating a low pressure under the car by accelerating the flow of air that goes under and allowing less air under the car also. Since there is lower presure under the car, some of the air that is under the hood, that normally would want to go out on top now escapes under the car, creating less pressure under it. I've had the exact same result with an APR front splitter as well.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote