follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #169
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,991 Times in 11,398 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
Nice work! Can you share a side profile shot so we can see how much more they stuck out?
Thanks. Below is a photo. I chose to not have them stick out any farther than the stock ones, but the pipe extends well out into the gap, and these are so deep you could have them sticking out three or four inches. I could have extended them near flush with the upper portion of the cutout.

In my install the tail pipe is just about a half-inch inside the inner opening of the tip.
Attached Images

Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-30-2012), CLTBRZ (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #170
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
this is a great thread. i enjoyed reading through it. i want to start doing some light mods to my car as well as i've never really had a car that i've wanted to do this with before. it's exciting. the exhaust tips are something i'm definitely going to be doing once my local pepboys gets them in stock. it's cheap enough where it doesn't really bother me to do it and simple enough for me (someone who knows very little about modifying cars) to do on my own. when i initially saw FootCyclist's thread i got pretty excited about doing it, but also got a little worried about voiding my warranty. at the same time though it seems if i wanted to i could just swap out the tips before i take my car in for service, if it really bothers me that much. but anyways, thank you for the thread. i'll be coming back to it often. my FR-S is going to be a learning experience for me, one that i'm really looking forward to.
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #171
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup View Post
this is a great thread. i enjoyed reading through it. i want to start doing some light mods to my car as well as i've never really had a car that i've wanted to do this with before. it's exciting. the exhaust tips are something i'm definitely going to be doing once my local pepboys gets them in stock. it's cheap enough where it doesn't really bother me to do it and simple enough for me (someone who knows very little about modifying cars) to do on my own. when i initially saw FootCyclist's thread i got pretty excited about doing it, but also got a little worried about voiding my warranty. at the same time though it seems if i wanted to i could just swap out the tips before i take my car in for service, if it really bothers me that much. but anyways, thank you for the thread. i'll be coming back to it often. my FR-S is going to be a learning experience for me, one that i'm really looking forward to.
Thanks for the kind words.

Exchanging the tips shouldn't affect or void any portion of your warranty, they are really just cosmetic. It isn't much different than putting in different floor mats in the car.

If you changed out the entire exhaust system, that might be a different animal assuming they could prove it had some type of effect on a failed part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
mezdup (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #172
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Thanks. Below is a photo. I chose to not have them stick out any farther than the stock ones, but the pipe extends well out into the gap, and these are so deep you could have them sticking out three or four inches. I could have extended them near flush with the upper portion of the cutout.

In my install the tail pipe is just about a half-inch inside the inner opening of the tip.
Thanks for this pic! I wanted something that looked better but didn't come 5" out of the back like most of the good looking aftermarket tips seem to.

Ordered!
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CLTBRZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #173
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
Thanks for this pic! I wanted something that looked better but didn't come 5" out of the back like most of the good looking aftermarket tips seem to.

Ordered!
well they'll only come out as much as you want them to. placement on the tail pipe is completely at your discretion. i think i'll have mine come out a few inches.
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #174
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup View Post
well they'll only come out as much as you want them to. placement on the tail pipe is completely at your discretion. i think i'll have mine come out a few inches.
Very true, what I meant was that I find most people prefer to have them come out as far as possible so you rarely see pictures of what it would look like if left at stock depth just with larger tips. Dadhawk seems to be a bit more conservative with his modding (like me) and I appreciate it
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLTBRZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-24-2012), mezdup (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #175
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I really like the way they look. Went to Pep Boys today but they only had one left, so I will have to check again. They seemed quite heavy, are they heavier than stock? I installed the Beat Sonic shark fin as well and it looks sharp.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #176
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I really like the way they look. Went to Pep Boys today but they only had one left, so I will have to check again. They seemed quite heavy, are they heavier than stock?...
They are much more substantial than the stock units, so yes, although I didn't weigh them. The stocks ones aren't much more than an aluminum tube with a support in them.

The speed shop manager at my Pep Boys said they typically only stock one of these at a time. He had it shipped in from the distribution center. Got it same day. I think if you order them online you can have them shipped to your local store for free.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #177
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
They are much more substantial than the stock units, so yes, although I didn't weigh them. The stocks ones aren't much more than an aluminum tube with a support in them.

The speed shop manager at my Pep Boys said they typically only stock one of these at a time. He had it shipped in from the distribution center. Got it same day. I think if you order them online you can have them shipped to your local store for free.
Thanks. Will do.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #178
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
the fun really starts now! I broke in my FRS and boy am I glad I did

looking sharp with the new tips and fin!
Dadhawk (06-24-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #179
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Updated Fuel Numbers

I updated my mileage and MPG ratings in post #1.

After about 2,700 miles and I think I can say with confidence Olivia has settled into an MPG "real life" rating of about 31MPG for me. I don't do a lot of EPA "City" driving, but unfortunately don't know what my average speed is since the on-board computer does not show that. Haven't checked to see if that is available from memory.

My lowest MPG tank so far has been the 29.38 and 29.32. The 29.38 was the first tank, which I believe was "regular". The 29.32 included two trips into downtown Atlanta, which is always more stop than go, and one commute that was twice as long as normal due to an accident.

The highest has been 34.62 which was mostly 55 - 80MPH driving on the interstate and about 60 miles worth of twisty, 3rd/4th gear mountain twisties.

In the end, given I expected to be well below 30, more in the 27MPG range, I'm very happy with these numbers.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
phm14 (06-26-2012), RYU (06-26-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #180
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Modification #3: e-brake boot

@JPM Coachworks (one of the commercial ventures on here) is located within "spittin' distance" of me. As they have posted here, they are looking at doing some custom work for the BRZ and the FR-S.

Since they had seen a BRZ but not an FR-S, they asked if I would be willing to drop by so they could take a look. In exchange, they were willing to swap a BRZ e-brake boot (red stitching) for my e-brake boot (black stitching). Well, how could I refuse!

Met today with Joe and Alex at their shop. I let them crawl around the FR-S, we talked about an hour about options and such for the interior (storage room, alternate steering wheels, replacement instrument hood with stitching, replacement door and knee panels, etc). They also showed me some of their custom parts they do for S2000s and Subarus, as well as letting me take a look at a beautiful '64 Corvette Stingray they were doing some interior work on. They had built a nice armrest for the 'Vette that looked like it had been done at the factory.

Based on what I've seen, these guys do quality handcrafted work using domestic products whenever possible (a plus for me). If there is anything on the interior readers would like to see done, I suggest you visit their website and shoot them a note. They are a small shop so they can only invest in products they know they can sell!

They are also both car guys. Alex is the former President of the local Subaru club and Joe headed up the S2000 club, that's how they met.

After we talked a while they brought out the OEM e-brake boot they had, and Joe took literally less than two minutes to swap them out. He did it so fast I didn't think to snap a before/after shot, but here at least is the after.

Yea, its a small change, but it's one of the single things that bugged me the most.

Thanks JPM Coachworks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
amram (07-29-2013), Fly Guy (07-14-2012), JPM Coachworks (07-02-2012), LeftFootBrake (07-03-2012), M&M_Hwy9 (07-02-2012), tripjammer (07-13-2012), Turbowned (07-05-2012), wrh3 (05-28-2017), zaptorque (07-03-2013), ZetaVI (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #181
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Wow! They did an awesome job! I love it.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #182
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVI View Post
Wow! They did an awesome job! I love it.
I should point out (as I did above) this is an OEM (BRZ) boot, not a custom job by them, but they did do the swap out for me. They were honest enough to admit that unless you want to change the fabric, they couldn't really do it much cheaper than OEM. However, they are looking at doing matching fabric boots, which is why they wanted the unit for a pattern.

Tags
dadhawk, first86