follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Shanahan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Soup View Post
Any updates on how this has worked for you?
X2 I'm about to order a kit myself. I have nothing but good things to say about any of the fidanza parts I've used in the past. I had the flywheel and cam gears on my mr2 with good results and a number of flywheels on BMWs all with great results.
Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #16
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone have any updates on the Fidanza clutch parts? I am looking for a stage 2 kit that doesn't rattle or make funny noises.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
knives

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
I just installed the V1 clutch/fw combo, but I'm waiting for my new final drive gears to show up before I can test it out. Iirc, the V1 & V2 use the same pressure plate so I assume the experience outside the bite will be similar between the two. I'll report my impressions when I finally get that diff back up there...
knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
knives

Well I finally got around to testing out the V1 clutch combo, and overall I'm really happy with it. It's definitely more aggressive. There is less of a perceptible friction zone before fully engaging, but not quite as on/off as I understand the pucks are. The pedal effort is slightly higher though not obnoxiously so. I also had to readjust my pedal height quite a bit: With the OEM clutch I was just slightly below brake pedal level, and now it's about 1/4" above the brake to have the same feel. I don't think I'm totally dialed in on that yet though.

As for the flywheel, man the revs come on so quickly it feels like an actual sports car now. Or at least it reminds me more of how quickly my motorcycle revs, and that's a good thing. Rev matching downshifts is far more intuitive now, and it's become a real joy! As others have mentioned elsewhere, you really need to rev it higher than before to get it rolling from a stop and avoid a stall, but in my experience it's been easy to get used to.

It also does make that "pennies jingling in coffee can" noise that can be expected with an aluminum flywheel. When I first installed it I was horrified because it was SO LOUD, and the noise didn't go away at any road speed, engine speed, clutch in/out, etc. But thankfully after about 20 miles or so of embarrassingly driving around like that, the noise subsided and now it's about what I expected. You hear it while idling, especially in enclosed spaces (garage, or surrounded by SUVs in traffic) and faintly while in the first few gears at low speed. I don't notice it beyond 3rd gear, but at any rate I don't find it irritating given the benefits.

The two together make the car feel tighter and more precise, which ups the fun factor for me. The rest of this break-in is gonna be soul-crushing... The car is just begging me to wring it out!
knives is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knives For This Useful Post:
akahenry (11-03-2017), Strife26 (06-10-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knives View Post

It also does make that "pennies jingling in coffee can" noise that can be expected with an aluminum flywheel. When I first installed it I was horrified because it was SO LOUD, and the noise didn't go away at any road speed, engine speed, clutch in/out, etc. But thankfully after about 20 miles or so of embarrassingly driving around like that, the noise subsided and now it's about what I expected. You hear it while idling, especially in enclosed spaces (garage, or surrounded by SUVs in traffic) and faintly while in the first few gears at low speed. I don't notice it beyond 3rd gear, but at any rate I don't find it irritating given the benefits.
Thanks for the response. Did the sound ever go away fully, or is it just part of the product? It seems like most have the noise. I think I have crickets after 2 years, but may be something else. I'd hate to get rid of one noise and get another.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #20
knives

Heh this might be a bit of a late response, but let's chalk it up to wanting more seat time before reporting back

Right now, I'd say the noise has become even quieter. Actually, it's basically imperceptible except when holding the clutch in at a stop. I don't notice it in low gears or at idle anymore. Granted some of that might result from becoming accustomed to it, but road/wind noise still annoys me so I don't think I've become completely numb.