follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Differences in wheel width

This is what I'm looking to get:

Wheels: Enkei Tuning TS9
Specs: 18" x 8 or 8.5

Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DW
Specs: 225 or 235/40/18

What exactly are the pros and cons into having a wider wheel. I know this is only a .5 inch difference but everything counts.

The only thing better I feel the 8.5 would bring is better look and slightly more balance but slightly heavier.

Any advice?

P.s. will be daily driving no auto x, yet

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I threw 10.5's on and I honestly can't tell a difference at all.

Only thing is the grooves and slopes in the road like to grab you more.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Generally speaking, don't wider fronts tend to induce understeer? I'm partly asking for myself because I don't actually know. I'm .5" wider than stock right now. Squared. I'm pretty sure there's no point going wider as my power output is stock auto.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:19 AM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
This is what I'm looking to get:

Wheels: Enkei Tuning TS9
Specs: 18" x 8 or 8.5

Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DW
Specs: 225 or 235/40/18

What exactly are the pros and cons into having a wider wheel. I know this is only a .5 inch difference but everything counts.

The only thing better I feel the 8.5 would bring is better look and slightly more balance but slightly heavier.

Any advice?

P.s. will be daily driving no auto x, yet
Wider rim allows you to fit a wider tire. As simple as that.
Yes they would both be heavier(wheel/tire), but there would be also be more maximum grip. The look could be better if they had a different specs, or they could look exactly the same on the outside widths. Example= 18x8.5 +35 vs 18x8 +29, the outside would face would be in the same distance to the fender, but the inside width is more narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Generally speaking, don't wider fronts tend to induce understeer? I'm partly asking for myself because I don't actually know. I'm .5" wider than stock right now. Squared. I'm pretty sure there's no point going wider as my power output is stock auto.
Incorrect, wider front tire means more grip at that end, aka more oversteer. Equal size tires is the way to go for this car.
Don't run staggered. It is a low powered car. And staggered will mess with the traction control systems. If you want equal distance to the fender front/rear, get a small 3-5mm spacer to adjust.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Incorrect, wider front tire means more grip at that end, aka more oversteer. Equal size tires is the way to go for this car.
Don't run staggered. It is a low powered car. And staggered will mess with the traction control systems. If you want equal distance to the fender front/rear, get a small 3-5mm spacer to adjust.
Hmm this is interesting right here. I know there are a lot of people here who run 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm in the back for our cars. Wouldn't this essentially be the same as staggering your car or is that different?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
Hmm this is interesting right here. I know there are a lot of people here who run 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm in the back for our cars. Wouldn't this essentially be the same as staggering your car or is that different?

No, I think he is talking about a skinny wheel in front and a wider wheel in the rear. "staggered fitment"
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR600RR For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Wider rim allows you to fit a wider tire. As simple as that.
Yes they would both be heavier(wheel/tire), but there would be also be more maximum grip. The look could be better if they had a different specs, or they could look exactly the same on the outside widths. Example= 18x8.5 +35 vs 18x8 +29, the outside would face would be in the same distance to the fender, but the inside width is more narrow.

I may go 8.5. Better look slightly more grip. The only down side that I'll be gaining 8 pounds with my wheel tire selection.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
When you say look, what do you mean? How flush it is, or just having a meaty tire? Flushness is a characteristic of offset, not wheel width. So an 18x8+35 would be just past flush in the front and just under flush in the back.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
That just means staggered spacers...
The internets has changed the meaning of words and at this point it just means unequal.
Staggered usually means different widths or diameter, which equals to different tire sizes.
The spacer difference is for aesthetics to the fender. Car is actually wider(staggered ) in the rear.
Front track: 59.8
Rear track: 60.6
Best setup is to run same wheel/tire on all 4 corners so you can rotate tires.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
lupindub (07-20-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #10
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
When you say look, what do you mean? How flush it is, or just having a meaty tire? Flushness is a characteristic of offset, not wheel width. So an 18x8+35 would be just past flush in the front and just under flush in the back.
Yea, my apologies for not clarifying.

Right now I am not worried about being flushed. As when I buy coilovers in the future I will buy the necesssary spacers along with them to have it flushed, or even poke more.

What I mean by look is basically that meaty look that you can see from the back, noticing how wide the tire is. I've seen pics where 8" wide don't look as good as 8.5" wide.

P.S. I'm also staying squared.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Yea, my apologies for not clarifying.

Right now I am not worried about being flushed. As when I buy coilovers in the future I will buy the necesssary spacers along with them to have it flushed, or even poke more.

What I mean by look is basically that meaty look that you can see from the back, noticing how wide the tire is. I've seen pics where 8" wide don't look as good as 8.5" wide.

P.S. I'm also staying squared.
If you're looking for meaty tires, think about 8.5 wheels with 245 tires. 245/35 is right at the same outside diameter as the OEM tire, where a 235/40 is almost an inch taller. The TS9 comes in 18x8.5 +40, which would be just about perfect.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If you're looking for meaty tires, think about 8.5 wheels with 245 tires. 245/35 is right at the same outside diameter as the OEM tire, where a 235/40 is almost an inch taller. The TS9 comes in 18x8.5 +40, which would be just about perfect.
Ok. So how would that look meatier if the middle number is lower?

What about the first number, if it's wider, how would that affect how it looks with the rim?

I've been looking for pics but I can't find anything.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:

What about the first number, if it's wider, how would that affect how it looks with the rim?

The middle number is the ratio between the tread width and the sidewall height. The lower ratio (35 vs. 40) will look smaller from the side, because it is smaller. You want to stay close to the OE outside diameter, if possible, to avoid throwing off your speedometer and whatever other systems that calculate based on number of rotations. Unless you're wanting to rallycross your car, and some people do, there's no real need for a taller tire.

From the back, the wider tire (first number) will look bigger, because it is. When people talk about fitting meaty tires on their cars, that's what they're talking about. There are a lot of people running 255's all around, and a few running 265's all around. They're a lot more difficult to fit than 245's are. As far as a 245 on an 8.5, that will work fine. A 245 looks slightly stretched on a 9 and pretty square on an 8.5.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

"first" number in tire specs is the tread width in mm. i.e.- 245mm
"second" number is the PERCENTAGE of the tread width for the sidewall height. i.e. 35 = 35% of 245mm = 85.75mm

the sidewall of a 245/35 is not the same as a 225/35. but a 215/40 is almost the same even though it says "40". because it's a percentage.