follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #1
phongtphan21

Drives: 2013 Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FA500, Rs*r , RCE coilovers .

What would be best for just daily driving and once in a while. Hard on corners? I'm on TRD but I was just gonna go with swift spec r but a few people mention I will need to change the shock , so I decided might as well go coilovers. I'm still new to suspensions. So any feedback will help. My wheels came in so I'm thinking of getting sticky tires. any recommendations? My budget is at 2k. but I love saving money as well lol. my lower control arm. I'll be going with Spl or something like that. don't want to understeer much. So advice there will be appreciated.

P.s. any frs meet in North cali?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
phongtphan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #2
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I would rec RS*R and RCE vs FA's. Nothing against FA, good quality coilover, but if budget is 2k, the closest you can get the better.

The other route (which is what im about to explain) would be to do the swift springs and B8 Bilstein shocks. Cheapest, and probably your best bet since most dont need adjustment, or for those who dont much care for ride height adjustability.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #3
phongtphan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
I would rec RS*R and RCE vs FA's. Nothing against FA, good quality coilover, but if budget is 2k, the closest you can get the better.

The other route (which is what im about to explain) would be to do the swift springs and B8 Bilstein shocks. Cheapest, and probably your best bet since most dont need adjustment, or for those who dont much care for ride height adjustability.
Okay. Do you know what the lowest I can go without ruining handling ? not sure if it matters. I know I'm suppose to be setting around 1 inch and I'll be okay. I was thinking of doing your second option. Just don't know if I should go with camber plates or camber bolts. Lol

Old 04-03-2016, 04:07 AM   #4
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
I really like my Tein Flex Z. Great daily driving coilover and handle better than stock (if set up correctly with good alignment). I have had them for 5 months now. They have given me 0 issues. I really cannot believe the quality of these for the price.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
RCE yellows and Bilstien B6 would be a better choice than all of those. No ****ing around just install, align, and go. You get a tasteful drop that doesn't ruin the handling, dampers that will work well with the springs, springs that work well with a wide range or tires, and lots of suspension travel for a comfortable ride and good handling. Oh, and it would cost less, if nothing else because you don't have to pay for corner balancing (3-5 hrs of labour), and adjustable end links to prevent preloading your sway bars.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
phongtphan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
RCE yellows and Bilstien B6 would be a better choice than all of those. No ****ing around just install, align, and go. You get a tasteful drop that doesn't ruin the handling, dampers that will work well with the springs, springs that work well with a wide range or tires, and lots of suspension travel for a comfortable ride and good handling. Oh, and it would cost less, if nothing else because you don't have to pay for corner balancing (3-5 hrs of labour), and adjustable end links to prevent preloading your sway bars.
Should I get camber plates for the front if I buy the B8?

Old 04-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phongtphan21 View Post
Should I get camber plates for the front if I buy the B8?

After hearing from Andy at RCE, I'd go with his recommendation of B6. As I understand it, the valving is the same, but the B6 have more travel.

As for camber plates, for your use, I don't see the need. They certainly have advantages, but the ride, NVH, and maintenance, just don't seem worth it to me. At the very least, wait and see. Installing camber plates on this car is pretty straight forward so it wouldn't take much to add them later if the need arises. Suspension mods are very subjective so it's hard to say what your driving style, roads, personal taste, etc will demand. But for a DD I'd recommend either the stock mounts, or getting group n mounts, and running bolts to dial in some more camber.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
phongtphan21

Quote:
After hearing from Andy at RCE, I'd go with his recommendation of B6. As I understand it, the valving is the same, but the B6 have more travel.

As for camber plates, for your use, I don't see the need. They certainly have advantages, but the ride, NVH, and maintenance, just don't seem worth it to me. At the very least, wait and see. Installing camber plates on this car is pretty straight forward so it wouldn't take much to add them later if the need arises. Suspension mods are very subjective so it's hard to say what your driving style, roads, personal taste, etc will demand. But for a DD I'd recommend either the stock mounts, or getting group n mounts, and running bolts to dial in some more camber.
Oh okay thanks calum, my driving style is okay. I'm not hard on it or anything at once in a while I'll hit a corner hard but it's always risky cause it's in city corners lol. my roads aren't as bumpy but I do go driving to mountains with my brother and he has a s2kcr. So I might go with your recommendation or continue in reading. Coilovers is a whole new level for me. So I just don't wanna jump into something I'm not ready yet.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phongtphan21 View Post
Oh okay thanks calum, my driving style is okay. I'm not hard on it or anything at once in a while I'll hit a corner hard but it's always risky cause it's in city corners lol. my roads aren't as bumpy but I do go driving to mountains with my brother and he has a s2kcr. So I might go with your recommendation or continue in reading. Coilovers is a whole new level for me. So I just don't wanna jump into something I'm not ready yet.

I think we skipped a step here.

Why do you want to 'upgrade'? The factory suspension is pretty competent. Unless you're seeing an issue you probably shouldn't be doing anything.

And, about your driving style, that wasn't a dig, or even a question of experience level. Different drivers within the same skill level will prefer different setups, there is no one size fits all for suspension tuning. Even the idea of neutral can be different from one person to another.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No offense, but I really doubt the R&D work Racecomp and Moto Miwa+RS-R put into their respective Tarmac's and Sports-i's puts them clearly behind Racecomp's own Yellow springs + B6/B8s for the use case @phongtphan21 described. As a matter of fact, the opposite might be true. Bilstein's have been noted on this board to be harsher on rough roads when installed with stock springs. I haven't read any feedback on B6's + Yellows. The OP noted this is a DD and not a track car. Since Yellow's were developed to match the OEM shock and not B6 or B8's it might take more work to get the desired ride and handling the OP desires. Also both Tarmac and Sports-i's are plug and play at their recommended ride heights, corner balancing is not required by either mfg post install.

Coming from a person that has owned RS-R Sports-i's on his DD for the past 2 years, I will say that they ride much better on California's rough roads and raised the performance envelope of my car considerably over aftermarket springs + stock shocks (which I have also ran). Handling is far from "ruined". They were easy to setup and don't require camber plates to get -1.0 to - 2.75 camber on the front (-1.5 out of the box, and add camber bolts to get to that max number). There are a few notable forum members who run Racecomp Tarmac 0 and 2's that could also provide first hand feedback to the OP (notably @ATL BRZ ). Your advice is nice to see, but I think you jumped the gun on this one.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #11
phongtphan21

Quote:
I think we skipped a step here.

Why do you want to 'upgrade'? The factory suspension is pretty competent. Unless you're seeing an issue you probably shouldn't be doing anything.

And, about your driving style, that wasn't a dig, or even a question of experience level. Different drivers within the same skill level will prefer different setups, there is no one size fits all for suspension tuning. Even the idea of neutral can be different from one person to another.
For performance and handling. I can careless about stance. I'm already looking for tires, and so forth. I figure I'll go Springs for now but since I plan on coilovers I might as well jump the gun lol

Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
phongtphan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
No offense, but I really doubt the R&D work Racecomp and Moto Miwa+RS-R put into their respective Tarmac's and Sports-i's puts them clearly behind Racecomp's own Yellow springs + B6/B8s for the use case @phongtphan21 described. As a matter of fact, the opposite might be true. Bilstein's have been noted on this board to be harsher on rough roads when installed with stock springs. I haven't read any feedback on B6's + Yellows. The OP noted this is a DD and not a track car. Since Yellow's were developed to match the OEM shock and not B6 or B8's it might take more work to get the desired ride and handling the OP desires. Also both Tarmac and Sports-i's are plug and play at their recommended ride heights, corner balancing is not required by either mfg post install.

Coming from a person that has owned RS-R Sports-i's on his DD for the past 2 years, I will say that they ride much better on California's rough roads and raised the performance envelope of my car considerably over aftermarket springs + stock shocks (which I have also ran). Handling is far from "ruined". They were easy to setup and don't require camber plates to get -1.0 to - 2.75 camber on the front (-1.5 out of the box, and add camber bolts to get to that max number). There are a few notable forum members who run Racecomp Tarmac 0 and 2's that could also provide first hand feedback to the OP (notably @ATL BRZ ). Your advice is nice to see, but I think you jumped the gun on this one.
I'm asking for advice? Lol I think you might be talking to calum on this one but honestly it sound like rs*r is the better route for me.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #13
phongtphan21

Quote:

Would you know if FA500 be the same to oem? And won't require corner balancing?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Calum
That Guy

Quote:

I'm running T0's with group n mounts.

My advice was based on a guy looking to make his DD, that mostly see typical highway driving with the occasional fun on ramp, handle a little better/more forgiving. The parts I recommended should do that without changing the ride much, and without requiring a lot of extra expenses. If OP is insistent on coilovers, then the advice will change, and as I haven't had the chance to compare many different coilovers, I'll let others answer that question. But I stand by my advice, adjustable suspension isn't much of a benefit for a daily driver. Of course it could improve handling, but the cost:benefit ratio doesn't seem to fit, to me.

Any damper with adjustable perches should be corner balanced. Sure, you could set them by measure them perch height, and that would likely work ok. But if that's all you're doing, why pay the extra money for the adjustability?

I was referring to the drop ruining the handling, not the coilovers.

I also didn't say coilovers would require camber plates.

Edit, I'm not sure if you're talking about the Tarmac springs or the Tarmac 0's, so some of that might not be applicable.

Last edited by Calum; 04-03-2016 at 09:03 PM.