follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #15
shagoth

Drives: ICE Silver 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's not an unplugging issue. The ipods flip into this state roughly half the time when the HU powers up if they were plugged in when the unit powered down.
shagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh so it locks you out of iPod mode on the radio too? Basically lik ejecting a USB drive on ur computer and not removing it
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #17
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagoth View Post
Since Subaru had the infinite wisdom to move to an odd shaped head unit that is just terrible in most aspects, the following questions come to mind:

1. Is the wiring basically the same as 2015 (ie. can I use a 2015 adapter harness with a new head unit)?
2. Can I get a 2015 dash panel to make for a more standard double din fit, with an adapter of course?
3. Does anyone know of an aftermarket head unit that supports the factory XM tuner which is probably the only redeeming feature of the stock unit?

Thanks in advance. I'd like to make stereo the first upgrade to my BRZ since it impacts my commutes significantly, but since nobody seems to have fitment info yet that might actually wait depending on what you guys know.
Check out my post here for info on the 2016 wiring situation: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13696

There's no adapter I'm aware of for the XM antenna or the built in mic (because it's not line level, it's amplified). Nor is there a good din adapter yet.

Other than the wire that turns the door speaker amp on, the speaker wiring is the same as previous years of the BRZ. My pioneer harness colors matched the colors on the Metra harness perfectly 1:1 and it was very easy to get the speakers working. The camera requires a bit more work.

I totally agree with you that the stock headunit is a piece of shit, and I've noticed there is a large delay over BT which drove me mad. The iPod functionality sucks too. It really has no redeeming features. For the dashboard you could actually buy a 2015 or older dashboard fascia from eBay if you don't care to keep the one that came in your car. Personally I liked the fake carbon look of mine so I left it alone. I almost bought the blacked out JDM one from TRD on eBay for about $90, it has a square double din hole that would work fine with the existing din adapter. It's really just a personal choice.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
shagoth

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
Check out my post here for info on the 2016 wiring situation: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13696

There's no adapter I'm aware of for the XM antenna or the built in mic (because it's not line level, it's amplified). Nor is there a good din adapter yet.

Other than the wire that turns the door speaker amp on, the speaker wiring is the same as previous years of the BRZ. My pioneer harness colors matched the colors on the Metra harness perfectly 1:1 and it was very easy to get the speakers working. The camera requires a bit more work.

I totally agree with you that the stock headunit is a piece of shit, and I've noticed there is a large delay over BT which drove me mad. The iPod functionality sucks too. It really has no redeeming features. For the dashboard you could actually buy a 2015 or older dashboard fascia from eBay if you don't care to keep the one that came in your car. Personally I liked the fake carbon look of mine so I left it alone. I almost bought the blacked out JDM one from TRD on eBay for about $90, it has a square double din hole that would work fine with the existing din adapter. It's really just a personal choice.
So without adapters for the miscellaneous bits, it's a matter of waiting for another model year until adapter manufacturers get their stuff together and ship us some product.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #19
lbroskee

Garage
Ppl say the mics that come with radios are better anyway and an XM antenna is no different then a gps one so easy to hide. Everything else has adapters (don't see aux/USB being different
Old 03-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So without adapters for the miscellaneous bits, it's a matter of waiting for another model year until adapter manufacturers get their stuff together and ship us some product.
If you're insistent on waiting for a product that does everything for you, yes I suppose.

It's really not hard to just rig it yourself like I described in the post.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
marvarcaver

Drives: 16' BRZ HYPER BLUE
Check out this setup
https://brainiac.workshoptwelve.com/frs-brz
marvarcaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just go after market and be done with it. I had an OEM looking backup camera installed at the same time and it works flawlessly with my phone. It flips down in a motorized fashion and hides behind it an SD card slot that I stuffed a 32GB SD card into. Keeps all my play lists and all meta data including album art appears.

They even gave us the gift of having no buttons on the wheel to worry about syncing with another head unit. The one and only drawback is the need to stick an antenna onto the front wind shield glass for the GPS receiver. I don't even notice it these day's as its on the passenger side and not overly big.

MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 AM   #23
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
There's a thread literally on the first page of the electronics section, where basically all of our work into this has already been hashed out and done.

The XM tuner is built into the head unit itself. You could get a head unit that supports XM, but it's going to come with an antenna if it does, so there's no point in crying about the factory one. Better idea - do yourself a favor, stop spending exorbitant amounts of money on XM, and buy yourself a better data plan. It's 2016, the year of the stream.

There is no adapter kit for the new slash cut radio. The series.blue and maybe others have a similar (but not the same) simulated CF trim with a standard "Toyota universal" cut, which is wider than standard DIN and will either need an adapter kit or a wider head unit to fill the gaps.

Anyway, @treminaor's info is legit, use it and enjoy. Don't connect your camera to an aftermarket unit without the module he posted, you'll blow it up.

To those of you posting about the 2016 Starlink that have never used it or seen it in operation, please stop polluting our threads with misinformation. I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just getting tiresome and you're only confusing people. This also goes for anyone with Starlink in their Legacy, Impreza, Tribeca, Baja, SVX, whatever the fuck. It's not the same. Thank you.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
Pointmutation (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #24
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
To those of you posting about the 2016 Starlink that have never used it or seen it in operation, please stop polluting our threads with misinformation. I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just getting tiresome and you're only confusing people. This also goes for anyone with Starlink in their Legacy, Impreza, Tribeca, Baja, SVX, whatever the fuck. It's not the same. Thank you.
^^^ This. Man, I been going through the threads trying to learn about the wiring on my 2016 BRZ's Starlink and was getting all confused with the pre-2016 talk and other vehicle models being referenced. 😱😱😱
Pointmutation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
shagoth

Garage
Quote:

The XM tuner is built into the head unit itself. You could get a head unit that supports XM, but it's going to come with an antenna if it does, so there's no point in crying about the factory one. Better idea - do yourself a favor, stop spending exorbitant amounts of money on XM, and buy yourself a better data plan. It's 2016, the year of the stream.
This is a great idea but as someone who drives from Las Vegas to Reno multiple times per year, it doesn't matter how good my plan is because the cellular coverage on the 95 is god awful. Satellite radio is really one of the only things that makes the drive bearable.

Just about everything else about the Starlink unit is the BRZ is hideous as well. It's slow to do nearly everything making it hazardous while driving to do something as simple as change the radio station. The bluetooth only sort of syncs with the phone and fails to import frequently called numbers or the call history deciding that instead maintaining its own lists is somehow better. Also, it alphabetizes by last name which is different than how Android alphabetizes making the contact list just a touch more challenging to navigate than it should be.

A couple more paychecks and the stereo fairy will be visiting my BRZ.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #26
lbroskee

Garage
Quote:
This is a great idea but as someone who drives from Las Vegas to Reno multiple times per year, it doesn't matter how good my plan is because the cellular coverage on the 95 is god awful. Satellite radio is really one of the only things that makes the drive bearable.

Just about everything else about the Starlink unit is the BRZ is hideous as well. It's slow to do nearly everything making it hazardous while driving to do something as simple as change the radio station. The bluetooth only sort of syncs with the phone and fails to import frequently called numbers or the call history deciding that instead maintaining its own lists is somehow better. Also, it alphabetizes by last name which is different than how Android alphabetizes making the contact list just a touch more challenging to navigate than it should be.

The '15 is even more wierd. All contacts imported fine, but no messages and on incoming calls refuse to show contact info and acts lik a random caller. Every single contact is in the phone ok on the HU tho
Old 03-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #27
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

A fellow Las Vegan! Well, I suppose I'm more of a lost Vegan these days. Yes, I'm well aware of the freeway pains between Vegas and... well, anywhere.

I'd still probably at least go aftermarket with a sat tuner.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #28
shagoth

Garage
Quote:
A fellow Las Vegan! Well, I suppose I'm more of a lost Vegan these days. Yes, I'm well aware of the freeway pains between Vegas and... well, anywhere.

I'd still probably at least go aftermarket with a sat tuner.
That's the plan. I have been trying to determine whether pioneer or Kenwood is the right answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk