follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #15
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Its tough to see in the video but it does not look to me like much of a brake check. If you watch the vehicle in the left lane when the brake lights go on the one in the right is not making much ground up on them. To me it looked more like the left lane put on the brakes and the one behind was not paying attention and locked it up in a panic caught the soft shoulder and lost control.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #16
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
A lot of stupid people.

1. Driver in the front, because of unnecesary driving in the left lane.

Only issue I'd have with this is that the first driver was just passing the semi, and the woman tailgating came up on her ass just as she was clearing the truck. Second thing, besides merging vehicle on the right, I've always been taught to give adequate room for trucks before getting back in the right lane. when the crash happened, she was right about where I would be when I'd finally consider it safe enough to get over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
mdm (03-15-2016), soulreapersteve (03-15-2016), TheVoiceOfReason (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
In SA the tailgater is 100% to blame regardless of what the front car did. The law (& logic) says you need a safe following distance. No gap to swerve or stop means the tailgater caused their own problems.

We get tons if it here, and lots of bad accidents as a result!
Impureclient (03-15-2016), soulreapersteve (03-15-2016), Tcoat (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Only issue I'd have with this is that the first driver was just passing the semi, and the woman tailgating came up on her ass just as she was clearing the truck. Second thing, besides merging vehicle on the right, I've always been taught to give adequate room for trucks before getting back in the right lane. when the crash happened, she was right about where I would be when I'd finally consider it safe enough to get over.

Yes, it looks a bit of a tricky situation. I'd probably either change to the right lane in front of the semi giving space in front of me to the merging vehicle. There is still quite a lot of space there.

Or, most likely, I'd just accelerate for a while to quickly pass the merging SUV and the silver minivan, and then change to ther right lane.

Both solutions seems to be much better (at least in hindsight ;-) ) than what she actually did.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,993 Times in 11,399 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
In Georgia, there is a "move out of the left lane" law, so both drivers could be cited. In addition, true brake-checking including sudden deceleration could be considered reckless driving, just sitting your foot on your brakes lightly enough for the lights to come on would not be (I would think), although I don't know how an officer could tell the difference unless there are skid marks.

I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to come up with a reason to ticket both, rabid speeding highway squirrels or not.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
What citation could they give the driver in front?

I like how they just kept going like nothing happened though, seriously why would you stop in that instance? Not their fault the person behind couldn't control her vehicle.

IDK how I stand on this, but it is a damn near everyday occurrence on the highways, people should expect this is coming no matter what. I do feel like the left lane is for passing though.
Left lane is called passing lane for a reason.. Doesn't matter if you're going 5, 10 or 30 over, there's ALWAYS somebody that go even faster. If you're in the left better check mirror and gtfo or get tailgated.

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #21
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hann View Post
Personally, I always move over for persons who are within close proximity of my rear bumper and/or "pacing me." I do this without question, or dissent towards the other driver. I have no idea who you are, why you're in a rush, why you want to pass me. You may just think I'm driving too slow. And I have no problems with that. During the times when I want to be that person in a rush, I appreciate when people do move over and let me pass (which happens 1/20 times in DC metro area).
this
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #22
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Brake checking is definitely something I'd never try in an 86 given that our rear ends crumple like paper if we get hit. I have slowed or showed my brakes to people who aggressively tail me, but never stomped the pedal.

Not rooting for the person who slammed the brakes, but really hope the lady that got wrecked feels embarrassed that over a million people have seen her bad driving.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Personally, I always move over for persons who are within close proximity of my rear bumper and/or "pacing me."
Thanks!

Quote:
During the times when I want to be that person in a rush, I appreciate when people do move over and let me pass
You're welcome!
Mr_Hann (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #24
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTpockets View Post
I think it is entertaining how some people argue that it is illegal to use the left lane unless you are passing but somehow justify speeding in the very same lane.

Depending on the state, the requirement to move from the left lane for faster traffic may or may be not dependent on whether you (or they) exceed the speed limit.

Compare, for example, Maryland:
On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

v. Virginia:
Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section;

Which means that you should not drive a slow as 60 in the left lane of the Capital Beltway in VA, even though the speed limit is 55. Because the normal speed there is 65-74.

It's one of few sensible speed-related laws in VA. Not that it is obeyed too often...
MTpockets (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Depending on the state, the requirement to move from the left lane for faster traffic may or may be not dependent on whether you (or they) exceed the speed limit.

Compare, for example, Maryland:
On every roadway, except while overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction or when preparing for a lawful left turn, any vehicle going 10 miles an hour or more below the applicable maximum speed limit or, if any existing conditions reasonably require a speed below that of the applicable maximum, at less than the normal speed of traffic under these conditions, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

v. Virginia:
Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section;

Which means that you should not drive a slow as 60 in the left lane of the Capital Beltway in VA, even though the speed limit is 55. Because the normal speed there is 65-74.

It's one of few sensible speed-related laws in VA. Not that it is obeyed too often...
I think you are optimistic there M! The "normal speed of traffic" can not legally be over the posted speed limit. Just because cars go 100 all the time that does not make it the "normal" nor legal speed. The "normal" speed of traffic in your example would be 55 no matter how fast the cars normally drive. Try fighting a speeding ticket there with the defense "well cars normally go 74 and I was only doing 72" and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #26
Crashdummy
too much is never enough.

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS1.0, 2005 Corolla XRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I do alot of freeway driving. Wisco doesn't have a the "Slower traffic keep right/left lane is for passing only" Law. Which is stupid considering over last summer they upped the speed limit to 70 on the major freeways. There are alot of ppl that don't want to/cant handle driving 70 that constantly sit in the left lane. Also when one truck try's to pass another its like watching paint dry.

Nanako's Mod Thread
Crashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #27
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Try fighting a speeding ticket there with the defense "well cars normally go 74 and I was only doing 72" and let us know how you make out.

Oh no, I wouldn't even try. But I think that technically someone driving 55 in 55 in the left lane while everyone is going 70 should get a ticket too.

Of course in reality they won't*, but this law gives me the feeling of righteousness and moral superiority when I come upon someone doing just the speed limit in the left lane ;-).

*Same as they won't get reckless driving conviction when they turn or change lanes without turn signal, though technically they should.
Tcoat (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #28
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Drives: 2019 Impreza Sport - MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I watched the video a few times and it seems like there was more going on than just the brake checking for the driver. They seemed to be passing a semi and coming up to a merge area at the same time the tailgating person ran up the back of the driver in the left lane. To me the driver in front didn't want to cut off the Semi and at the same time they wanted to give the merging driver room to get in. If they pulled over, besides cutting off the Semi, who know's how slow the merging car would be going. They'd be sandwiched between the semi in back and possible slow car in front. Not a good position to be in. Having said that they could have just stayed in the left lane and sped up enough to get past everyone then pulled over into the right lane. That's what I would have done. However, not knowing the actual speeds it's hard to say if they were truly in the wrong. I can say for sure that the tailgater was though. They were way too close and I bet, like someone mentioned, distracted till the last second when they got brake checked. Tailgating is a huge pet peeve of mine, for some reason it seems to happen a lot to me when I'm in a small car, my Miata or the BRZ. Mostly on a single lane where I'm leaving room in front and the car behind is up my trunk. I live in the land of huge PU trucks and I know I can stop a lot faster when needed than they can. Most of the time I will tap my brake but not slow down to say please move back and give me room. If I'm on the highway I only pass in the passing lane end of story, I also don't like passing on the right. Too risky. I've got a third brake light pulse on my Miata, I've been thinking how to add one to the BRZ.

2019 Impreza 5 Dr - MT, 2013 OBW - Premium, 2001 Forester S, 1999 Miata MT
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote