follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2016, 04:55 AM   #15
illmatic_frs

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You'll get better. After owning for 6 months I'm very comfortable with the car now. Shifting, throttle blip, launch, cornering, breaking traction if desired, etc. Only weak spot is heel-toe from 3 down to 2. I found the smoothest performance with Husky 91. I'm in Milton, there's a Subaru meet here every Tuesday. Come by some time!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
illmatic_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illmatic_frs For This Useful Post:
itsAlex (03-09-2016), S84kam (05-05-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #16
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
I haven't noticed any play with the shifter in 1st gear, then again I'm afraid to touch it while it's engaged lol, haven't grinded any gears yet and I don't wanna start now

I too was going to fill up with 93 gas but the station I was at only had 91, so I'm using that for the time being. From what I heard, Shell V Power 91 gas has no ethanol which should give similar fuel economy and performance of 93 gas with ~10% ethanol. I don't know whether I should be concerned if I'm using 91 or 93, as the manual says it's okay to use 91 although you lose some power.

I only have 500km on my car so far, and I haven't had any smell from the vents. I cycled through the heat and A/C to make sure they were working and everything was well. The only smell I had in the beginning was the clutch, when I was still getting used to it I rode it a few times aha

I plan on putting subs in this car so that'll probably make it even trickier in the near future, oh well
91 is fine
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
itsAlex (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #17
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic_frs View Post
You'll get better. After owning for 6 months I'm very comfortable with the car now. Shifting, throttle blip, launch, cornering, breaking traction if desired, etc. Only weak spot is heel-toe from 3 down to 2. I found the smoothest performance with Husky 91. I'm in Milton, there's a Subaru meet here every Tuesday. Come by some time!

Are you in the part of Milton that's closer to Mississauga? I go to UTM so I'm always down there, by Erin Miils and Dundas
itsAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #18
berkbrzfan

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What dealer? Next time I am in the area I would like to pop in and shake their hand! A sales guy giving good, sound advice on the car needs to be thanked.
You might not see him there when you go to thank him. Somehow the knowledgeable guys are not retained in dealerships!
berkbrzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berkbrzfan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
Big D Design

Drives: FRS RED - 12 Roush RS3 - 92 Maxima
Octane Fail

Please tell me why you would use 91 octane if there is 93 octane available? Sure it's fine to use it but the engine was designed and tuned for 93. Shell V-Power is my favorite. I know I'm going to get hell for this.... but car engines last longer and get less carbon buildup when using premium gas from one of the teir one companies. Over in England there were tests with a GTI and Shell and BP, other brands that were tier 2 were tested. We're talking 20hp differences from some. If you are trying to save money by buying cheap gas you shouldn't be driving this car. Better not check the oil either while your at it. This car gets 200hp with 93 octane, not with 91. The crickets go away for most as well. OK, now let me have it......
Big D Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big D Design For This Useful Post:
VTEC (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #20
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Garage
91 is hard to find in southern california. E85 is even harder to find.
but yeah i just got mine back in mid feb and i adjusted myself to the clutch pretty quick. been wanting a manual trans car again since driving family sedans for the past few years (last manual i owned was a z28 camaro back in 2012). LOVE IT. its like part of me has been asleep and has now been awakened again.

as for the car i cant get enough. i drive it as much as possible and still havent hit 1,000 miles yet. we have gallons of milk in the fridge LOL

its a cornering ANIMAL. turn in response is insane. the low CG of the engine is ridiculously obvious if you drive something else. i drove my wife's 2015 accord sport sedan (i used to have a 2013 too) and you can almost feel the tall engine swinging around in the front of the car when you turn. hard to explain but you can feel the difference for sure.

bottom line: these things are just amazing little cars.

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinchu For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-05-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #21
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D Design View Post
Please tell me why you would use 91 octane if there is 93 octane available? Sure it's fine to use it but the engine was designed and tuned for 93. Shell V-Power is my favorite. I know I'm going to get hell for this.... but car engines last longer and get less carbon buildup when using premium gas from one of the teir one companies. Over in England there were tests with a GTI and Shell and BP, other brands that were tier 2 were tested. We're talking 20hp differences from some. If you are trying to save money by buying cheap gas you shouldn't be driving this car. Better not check the oil either while your at it. This car gets 200hp with 93 octane, not with 91. The crickets go away for most as well. OK, now let me have it......
I never looked up any "evidence"but I always believed the big companies would have better quality gas and I only buy from shell, and bp when I have a choice and can't get e85. The ethanol I kinda have to take what I can get but it's still better than premium. Nite if only the stations would run a proper 85% mix in the summer
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I know I'm going to get hell for this.... but car engines last longer and get less carbon buildup when using premium gas from one of the teir one companies.

Aren't you mixing up two independent things? Carbon buildup is prevented by detergent additives, and top tier gasolines have more of these. This is completely independent from regular/premium which is about ocatne number and resistance to knocking.

In other words, if you use lower ON gas, you will get somewhat decreased performance (at 91) and possible knocking problems, up to engine damage (87 or 89), whether it is top tier gas or not.

If you use not-top tier gas, you are more likely to have carbon deposits, whether you use 91 or 93.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #23
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OK, I am retracting the above.

I mean, technically I was correct, but manufacturers seem to put even more detergents into their premium fuels than in the lower-ON fuels even if all of them meet the top-tier specs.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #24
illmatic_frs

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
Are you in the part of Milton that's closer to Mississauga? I go to UTM so I'm always down there, by Erin Miils and Dundas
No I'm in the far west
Where there are farms
And some really nice twistys roads ;-)
Lots of bikers out here in the spring

illmatic_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #25
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Your experience is pretty normal. I've been driving sticks for most of my car-life and the clutch on the twins takes practice. Day to day and during the first thousand miles, it might seem a little stiff or finicky. But once you've finished your break-in period and can get somewhere that allows you to really row through the gears it will feel natural.

As for the fuel, your dealer probably just put 87 in as it seems most dealers don't keep anything else on hand. It won't hurt anything for a tank full.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
Big D Design

Drives: FRS RED - 12 Roush RS3 - 92 Maxima
MDM is right

Yes. Tier One gas has up to 8 times the amount of detergent in their premium gas. This is one of the reasons to always use premium gas if you are using a high revving modern engine, even if it isn't required. You will get better acceleration and more power from a well designed engine that can read octane. Also your gas mileage will increase a mpg or 2.

On another note.... the clutch in this car has the strangest take at the last little bit of travel. It takes getting used to, that's for sure. I have 3 cars with manual and have better takeup midway with the other 2. You get used to it or you try to adjust it. I'm scared to try to adjust it myself and just compensate.
Big D Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #27
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
welcome to the club, spare yourself some money and put 89 or even 91 octane fuel. Difference is negligible, it's all fuel marketing bs
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #28
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangy View Post
welcome to the club, spare yourself some money and put 89 or even 91 octane fuel. Difference is negligible, it's all fuel marketing bs
I'm using 91 because 93 is not available as far as I can tell, I've been to Esso and Shell and both offer 91 and neither have 93. I filled up today at Shell and got 91 since there was nothing higher:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicp9 View Post
In terms of gas I have actually been using Esso 93 fuel. I have noticed the fuel economy to be a bit worse on 91, but still experimenting. I also had a couple difficult starts from cold, coincidentally when the car was on 91 so not sure if that is a link. I actually filled with 91 costco fuel today so will see how that goes. Also let me know how your fuel economy is. My average likes to be around 8.8l/100km.
Here's how I did on a half tank of 91:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
91 is hard to find in southern california. E85 is even harder to find.
but yeah i just got mine back in mid feb and i adjusted myself to the clutch pretty quick. been wanting a manual trans car again since driving family sedans for the past few years (last manual i owned was a z28 camaro back in 2012). LOVE IT. its like part of me has been asleep and has now been awakened again.

as for the car i cant get enough. i drive it as much as possible and still havent hit 1,000 miles yet. we have gallons of milk in the fridge LOL

its a cornering ANIMAL. turn in response is insane. the low CG of the engine is ridiculously obvious if you drive something else. i drove my wife's 2015 accord sport sedan (i used to have a 2013 too) and you can almost feel the tall engine swinging around in the front of the car when you turn. hard to explain but you can feel the difference for sure.

bottom line: these things are just amazing little cars.
Unfortunately I'm not able to drive the car hard yet cause I still want to "break" it in up until 1500km, when I get there I'll put the pedal to the floor and let you know how it goes aha
itsAlex is offline   Reply With Quote