follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tcoat, as usual, is wise. This is not a Civic or even my old Protege. Someone along in here said he saw one of our twins completely stuck in two inches of slush on a totally flat surface. Take the southern arc and beware a cloudy sky.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weather channel app....

Kidding aside look at the weather forecast for the states that you're going to pass. Since I don't know which part of Cali your going to the safest and best route that I know of is I-10.
ARTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you are going in march I would go south and then west taking the southern route to calif!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #18
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Drive south and then hang a right when you see swamp land

Ya still gotta get through Texas - might have blizzard or twisters
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
ElPablo

Drives: 2015 Brz Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd just watch the weather, and take i40 to stay south of the rockies. Unless it's warm, and I have time, then I'd plot the curviest route across the country possible.
ElPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #20
rainmonkey

Drives: BRZ - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yeah I was thinking of going down south a bit then driving West, but I'll ultimately be headed to San Francisco so that makes the drive even longer.

Regarding luggage, i'll be shipping most of it, this is more just a for fun thing, and so that I don't have to waste money shipping the car.
rainmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #21
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmonkey View Post
Yeah I was thinking of going down south a bit then driving West, but I'll ultimately be headed to San Francisco so that makes the drive even longer.

Regarding luggage, i'll be shipping most of it, this is more just a for fun thing, and so that I don't have to waste money shipping the car.
It won't bee fun after the first like 8 hours. Turns out the FRS isn't as comfy on long trips as we would hope. Was so excited to get mine. Drove 18 hours home... so happy to get out of it when I got home. And that wasn't even half way across the country...
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #22
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
Ya still gotta get through Texas - might have blizzard or twisters
Haha...more likely to encounter tumbleweed going through I10 than blizzards and twisters. Blizzards and twisters are more common towards Dallas and Oklahoma. What will get u is the road past San Antonio to El Paso. Several hours of nothing but a straight road.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #23
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmonkey View Post

That's actually a great road to take. If you go through LA to San Fran there's several twisty road you'll encounter. That and cow farm that youll smell for about half hour.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #24
Foxystyle

Drives: FRS / S13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've driven cross country twice now in the frs. Stay as south as possible, I had to drive through a snow storm through new Mexico. Needless to say, never again. Also we have small gas tanks, going through the 10 has a lot more service stations. You don't want to get stranded.
Foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #25
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Don't load the car down too much, getting over the mountains in a loaded BRZ is a pretty agonizing experience. Don't be like me and carry a bunch of useless camping gear. Use lightweight luggage and carry only essentials for the trip. All your other clothes items that you need can be vaccuum packed in spacebags and you can have them mailed to you.

Bring a tire inflator and tire guage and check it throughout the trip, as elevation changes may affect tire pressure.

Think about bringing an extra road gps, one that doesn't rely on cell service. Also a nice 2.1 or 3 amp battery bank, as the BRZ's usb port doesn't charge at the maximum capacity for most devices, meaning your phone might lose charge over the trip using GPS even while its plugged in.

A neck pillow may be a good idea. You're going to hate the headrest . A Lumbar pillow too. On my cross country trip, I had a problem with my hip joints swelling from sitting in that position for more than 8 hours at a time. So be sure to get some good stretches or yoga in to ease the back pain.

As for routes, the way through I-70 (St. Louis - Denver - Las Vegas) is probably the easiest route, except for the big elevation changes. If you want to go a scenic route in the spring I hear that Wyoming is very pretty. On my trip I decided not to take I-40 because I hear the road through Oklahoma is pretty rough (also big storms and hardly any cell service in N. Texas to get weather reports). On my way back I took the southern route through NM - TX - LA - MS and it was a pleasant ride except I-55 in Mississippi is hilariously bumpy, you'll see cars going the other way hitting bumps the same time as you and both of your cars flying up at the same time.

Last edited by radroach; 02-17-2016 at 08:29 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote