follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 AM   #29
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
Seems I'm afflicted with this issue now. Plugged in to PC for the first time in months to offload a few logs that had been created. After a lonnnng time of downloading new updates to the OFT, the saving of logs worked fine. Initially, it behaved as per usual and could read the current tunes loaded on the device.

After a few minutes outputting the logs to csv files and then deleting the logs from the device, clicked again on 'download data' and then tried 'upload data' and both return the "Error opening file" problem. All slots including the OEM tune "NOT PRESENT".

Hard to say but it seems like there's something that was added/changed in that initial software update process that has bricked the OFT. I've output a debug.prolog file from Manager but no idea how to open or analyse it.

Really not keen on sending back and replacing the hardware for this: if it broke by software update it should be fixable by same. Should be a way to revert to prior known 'safe' software version..!
The common factor seems to be that the oft has not been updated for a long time, it does appear to be some kind of software incompatability.

Unfortunatly when the tune database becomes corrupted and you cannot read\write tunes or flash back to stock your snookered as you cannot un marry the tablet to erase.

As the tune datavase is part of the marry unmarry your locked out as otherwise you would be able to unmarry oft while still tuned. So it like
y going to jave to be sent back for reset.

Of you send that prolog file to the openflash guys they might find out what happens.

It in some proprietry format so not readable

OFT are alientech powergate 3 devices

http://www.powergate-alientech.com/en/
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-02-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-02-2016), kodyo (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #30
dtek

Drives: 86 A00I
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All makes sense Steve, cheers for your always on-the-ball input in the OFT scene.

Unfortunately there's a notable absence official OFT guys in this thread - are they aware of this issue, and are they working on a fix?
Arbitrarily bricking customer's products is pretty bad publicity, and I really don't like my chances going to a Toyota dealer with all this altered hardware/software and getting them to sympathise with a reflash of the ECU.

Also: I think it's safe to say at this point if you're an OFT user, especially if you haven't let it connect and update via OFT Manager in some time, do not allow it to connect to the internet and do the update process until this problem is resolved... unless of course you want yours bricked.

Last edited by dtek; 01-02-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added heads-up to other users
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #31
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Unfortunately there's a notable absence official OFT guys in this thread - are they aware of this issue, and are they working on a fix?
Arbitrarily bricking customer's products is pretty bad publicity, and I really don't like my chances going to a Toyota dealer with all this altered hardware/software and getting them to sympathise with a reflash of the ECU.
From my experience, Toyota can't reflash the ECU for you anyways, so you are stuck trying to use OFT to update or using another flashing method as mentioned earlier on.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #32
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
From my experience, Toyota can't reflash the ECU for you anyways, so you are stuck trying to use OFT to update or using another flashing method as mentioned earlier on.
Toyota/subaru flash ecu 's all the time. however they are reluctant to flash ecu's for people unless their is a TSB issued
Old 01-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #33
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Toyota/subaru flash ecu 's all the time. however they are reluctant to flash ecu's for people unless their is a TSB issued
All I can report is my experience, which is that both dealers I went to tried and failed to flash the ECU. They had no reason to not do it as I was paying for them to do so.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #34
steve99
Banned

Quote:
All I can report is my experience, which is that both dealers I went to tried and failed to flash the ECU. They had no reason to not do it as I was paying for them to do so.
That is very strange as the OFT does not put any form of lock on the ecu or change anything to do with access to ecu its still fully open as if it was stock.

The only thing i can think of is the OBD port in your car is faulty , many 2013 and earlier cars had intermittent obd port connectors, the OFT cable is good quality thick pins and works well. however many other obd devices like tactrix and dealers cables have thinner pins which show up the problem.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #35
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
My dealer tried first time, failed. Needed to call corporate to find out how to flash my 2013 to B01. But they were able to do it the second time.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #36
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
That is very strange as the OFT does not put any form of lock on the ecu or change anything to do with access to ecu its still fully open as if it was stock.

The only thing i can think of is the OBD port in your car is faulty , many 2013 and earlier cars had intermittent obd port connectors, the OFT cable is good quality thick pins and works well. however many other obd devices like tactrix and dealers cables have thinner pins which show up the problem.
Weird question and sort of off topic, can we download the stock (original) OEM rom off the tablet for save storage on our hard drive so if something happens to the OFT we still have it? I'm only asking because I'm away on business and don't have openflash manager open in front of me
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #37
kodyo

Quote:

They were claiming that their software would not allow an update. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they needed to confirm the OEM tune prior to updating in order to prevent putting the wrong tune on the wrong car. Hard to say really, but sounded like an issue on the software side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
My dealer tried first time, failed. Needed to call corporate to find out how to flash my 2013 to B01. But they were able to do it the second time.
Interesting, simply an update or was it over riding a custom tune? They were working on the car for quite a bit, so we actually thought they may have called corporate to ask. Either way, I'm quite sick of taking the car in with no fix, so going to rely on the new tablet to fix.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #38
steve99
Banned

Quote:
They were claiming that their software would not allow an update. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they needed to confirm the OEM tune prior to updating in order to prevent putting the wrong tune on the wrong car. Hard to say really, but sounded like an issue on the software side.

Interesting, simply an update or was it over riding a custom tune? They were working on the car for quite a bit, so we actually thought they may have called corporate to ask. Either way, I'm quite sick of taking the car in with no fix, so going to rely on the new tablet to fix.
Their is no true "update" , the current rom is totally erased then a complete new rom is written back in its place. Its not an in incremental process.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
kodyo (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #39
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Weird question and sort of off topic, can we download the stock (original) OEM rom off the tablet for save storage on our hard drive so if something happens to the OFT we still have it? I'm only asking because I'm away on business and don't have openflash manager open in front of me
Thier is nothing unique about individual roms eg as long as the calid is same rom is same.

If your original calid was say ZA1JB01C then any rom with that calid is ok

see the tactrix link below end of that post has a lot of the stock roms, i have some of the older ones as well if you need one.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-12-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 03:06 AM   #40
bottle

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Seems I'm afflicted with this issue now. Plugged in to PC for the first time in months to offload a few logs that had been created. After a lonnnng time of downloading new updates to the OFT, the saving of logs worked fine. Initially, it behaved as per usual and could read the current tunes loaded on the device.

After a few minutes outputting the logs to csv files and then deleting the logs from the device, clicked again on 'download data' and then tried 'upload data' and both return the "Error opening file" problem. All slots including the OEM tune "NOT PRESENT".

Hard to say but it seems like there's something that was added/changed in that initial software update process that has bricked the OFT. I've output a debug.prolog file from Manager but no idea how to open or analyse it.

Really not keen on sending back and replacing the hardware for this: if it broke by software update it should be fixable by same. Should be a way to revert to prior known 'safe' software version..!
Can confirm that this is the exact process that I went through when it happened to me; had a huge update, then the OFT bricked.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bottle For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-12-2016), Lonewolf (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 03:07 AM   #41
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

They were flashing over the stock 700 tune.

My take on it was that they had the tune update file but did not have the current version of the flash software, and corporate just gave them the new version. Makes sense if it's different ECU than what Toyota typically uses.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
kodyo (01-03-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #42
kodyo

Got new tablet and that fixed the issue. Was able to successfully load tune back onto the car. I suspect issue may have stemmed from unplugging tablet from computer after browsing for the tunes but not clicking the 'start' button to fully load them in section 3 of the upload section.