follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #127
Johras

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
I also got a ruby red!

If I had to say the thing I miss the most, which sounds ridiculous, would be parking the damn car haha. I miss being able to just dart into parking spaces. If I didn't live like 5 miles from work, I would never have picked the gt. I couldn't live with a (what I get) 20mpg tank average. I was getting about 26 with the brz all city before e85, and over 30 when I did 90% highway. I don't think you can beat an 86 as an affordable livable daily sports car that you can enjoy whenever.
Ruby Red > every other color ever made.

Gas mileage is not that bad, I get about 18/19 mpg average but up to 24/25 on the highway. It does fine with 87 for regular driving so that offsets the difference a bit.

I miss driving the BRZ in the rain, as compared to the GT.
Johras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #128
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You gotta pay to play, but the local track junkies who all spent bucks upgrading their twins and seeking lap times seem pretty damn happy. Not a lot of attrition either, though one person did sell her twin and get an S2000 that had a problem which left her watching at the last day I saw her. I don't see nearly as many Mustangs at the track, though there was one '80s Mustang, 100% race prepped, that looked and sounded awesome in every imaginable way. Course those old Mustangs weighed a lot less than the current ones.

Modding is fun. That's why Mustang owners mod so damned much. That's why the few '80s V8 Mustangs around are usually modded, rebuilt bundles of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
And if you get it professionally installed (the Full Blown kit) it is a lot more than that. I know this because Full Blown is very close to my house and I talked to them about my BRZ and what it would cost to get their kit installed by them and I was told to plan on $10-12K depending on some choices I made along the way. My BRZ was $28K. That would have put me near or over $40K. For a BRZ.

People gloss over costs to mod on this forum all the time and they also gloss over things like maintenance, reliability, throwing out your warranty, etc. And it's not just here. It is a lot of car forums where people start tuning their cars. There is a reason why so many people that start down the tuning path only keep their cars 1-2 years and then dump them. Because you tend to only hear all the rah, rah, bullshit about how great their tuned car is and not all the crap you sometimes have to put up with. Once you start heavily tuning a car you basically better have a backup mode of transportation.

If you buy a car like a Mustang GT that has the power and performance out of the box it removes most of the headaches of tuning and you can actually enjoy your car more.

And I have nothing against tuning, but people often sugarcoat it way too much. Before people go down the tuning path with the FR-S/BRZ that are new to tuning they should watch Savagegeese's videos on Youtube and his experiences with his FR-S. Love him or hate him the guy is knowledgeable and a straight shooter and did not BS and sugarcoat the tuning experience.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Jaden (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #129
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sorry but I'm not new to tuning.

Quote:
And if you get it professionally installed (the Full Blown kit) it is a lot more than that. I know this because Full Blown is very close to my house and I talked to them about my BRZ and what it would cost to get their kit installed by them and I was told to plan on $10-12K depending on some choices I made along the way. My BRZ was $28K. That would have put me near or over $40K. For a BRZ.

People gloss over costs to mod on this forum all the time and they also gloss over things like maintenance, reliability, throwing out your warranty, etc. And it's not just here. It is a lot of car forums where people start tuning their cars. There is a reason why so many people that start down the tuning path only keep their cars 1-2 years and then dump them. Because you tend to only hear all the rah, rah, bullshit about how great their tuned car is and not all the crap you sometimes have to put up with. Once you start heavily tuning a car you basically better have a backup mode of transportation.

If you buy a car like a Mustang GT that has the power and performance out of the box it removes most of the headaches of tuning and you can actually enjoy your car more.

And I have nothing against tuning, but people often sugarcoat it way too much. Before people go down the tuning path with the FR-S/BRZ that are new to tuning they should watch Savagegeese's videos on Youtube and his experiences with his FR-S. Love him or hate him the guy is knowledgeable and a straight shooter and did not BS and sugarcoat the tuning experience.
I've been tuning and building cars for 25 plus years... everything from muscle cars to imports.

I did a complete restoration of a 64 1/2 mustang to K code status. a 66 mustang with a swap to a 427. I've rebuilt a 47 willy's, I've built up a 74 GMC pickup, a 74 super beetle, a 95 mustang GT, an 84 trans am, an 87 chrysler laser, an 87 long bed toyota and many more..

Yes, people who can't or don't do their own work/fab etc.. will be spending a lot of money and should probably just buy a faster car out of the gate, but for those of us who can do their own tuning, it is not out of the realm of feasibility to take a great starting platform like a twin/s2000/miata, etc.. and turn it into something special and for much less than an equivalent alternative would be.

For some, it's about the uniqueness, for some the sleeperesque quality, for others the ability to afford the initial cost more readily and gradually make the changes, or the joy that comes from achieving something with your own two hands and or a combination of all of those things.

I can't stand when people try to tell me what I can and can't do. I know my limitations and making any car fast is not one of them.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #130
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've been tuning and building cars for 25 plus years... everything from muscle cars to imports.

I did a complete restoration of a 64 1/2 mustang to K code status. a 66 mustang with a swap to a 427. I've rebuilt a 47 willy's, I've built up a 74 GMC pickup, a 74 super beetle, a 95 mustang GT, an 84 trans am, an 87 chrysler laser, an 87 long bed toyota and many more..

Yes, people who can't or don't do their own work/fab etc.. will be spending a lot of money and should probably just buy a faster car out of the gate, but for those of us who can do their own tuning, it is not out of the realm of feasibility to take a great starting platform like a twin/s2000/miata, etc.. and turn it into something special and for much less than an equivalent alternative would be.

For some, it's about the uniqueness, for some the sleeperesque quality, for others the ability to afford the initial cost more readily and gradually make the changes, or the joy that comes from achieving something with your own two hands and or a combination of all of those things.

I can't stand when people try to tell me what I can and can't do. I know my limitations and making any car fast is not one of them.

Jaden
Good for you. You probably represent about 5% of the tuners out there. I certainly respect the tuning community and I enjoy wrenching my own car for things that I am comfortable doing, but when you talk about almost doubling the power to the wheels you are basically now dealing with a project car and certainly cannot count on things like reliability, warranty, etc. That was my point. Most people don't have the time, energy, resources, and knowledge to do this on their own so you start spending piles of money on a tuning shop to do it.

Case in point. Dude on the STI Facebook page is trying to sell his fully built 2015 STI that is a beast of a car (around 500whp) for $48K. He said at that price he will easily lose $15-20K. The sad thing is he will probably not be able to get even $48K for it because most people don't look at a heavily modded car as adding value, and in many cases, it makes it less appealing for buyers. At that point the guy would have been better off buying a C7, GTR, etc.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #131
Jaden
Road-hole

Yes absolutely...

Quote:
Good for you. You probably represent about 5% of the tuners out there. I certainly respect the tuning community and I enjoy wrenching my own car for things that I am comfortable doing, but when you talk about almost doubling the power to the wheels you are basically now dealing with a project car and certainly cannot count on things like reliability, warranty, etc. That was my point. Most people don't have the time, energy, resources, and knowledge to do this on their own so you start spending piles of money on a tuning shop to do it.

Case in point. Dude on the STI Facebook page is trying to sell his fully built 2015 STI that is a beast of a car (around 500whp) for $48K. He said at that price he will easily lose $15-20K. The sad thing is he will probably not be able to get even $48K for it because most people don't look at a heavily modded car as adding value, and in many cases, it makes it less appealing for buyers. At that point the guy would have been better off buying a C7, GTR, etc.

Anyone who goes into modding a car should do so with eyes wide open..I've stated that many times on this forum..

Don't plan on selling it for more than a stock car, probably less. Don't plan on paying someone else to do the work and expect to get performance for less than an equivalent newer more expensive car is and don't plan on having the same reliability as a stock car. These things are truer for newer cars than older cars...

Those who have undertaken big car projects before know most of these things already.

I've never understood the people who buy a car and pay someone else to mod it for them, but that's because my intention in modding a car is the same as many other things I do, it's the act of modding the car that I enjoy, not necessarily JUST the end result.

I designed and built a cnc lathe from scratch and bought a 12X36 gunsmithing lathe to build myself a pool cue (I use it for many other things as well and do make small quantities of custom pool cues and other things as well, but the purpose was to build myself a pool cue). I could have bought a top end custom pool cue for what building the lathe and buying the lathe cost me, but then I would have one pool cue that someone else built and I wouldn't have the experience of building it myself, the ability to make more and the two lathes that I can now use to make many other different things.

the end result is just the satisfaction of a job well done more than anything...

I wish that I could start showing build updates of the project for my frs I'm working on now, but unfortunately, that would defeat a lot of the purpose, so I have to wait.

Instead, I'll be making progress updates and post them afterwards all at once.

Jaden

Last edited by Jaden; 12-31-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #132
Jaden
Road-hole

I do understand that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Hi Jaden,

The reason, more often than not, is that they don't feel comfortable with their abilities.

I can do plenty of stuff but build a motor, nope. Which is ironic, because that's exactly what I would like to do...Who knows.

Fortunately for me, I had a dad who has always built cars and engines. At one time I had a job helping his heavy machinery mechanic rebuild and maintain the heavy machinery for his construction business.

Wrenches that weigh close to what our short blocks weigh...lol

Jaden

Last edited by Jaden; 12-31-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #133
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Jaden
No Jaden, no one was telling you what YOU can or can't do.

But people had an issue with you saying that an frs with bolt-ons can DESTROY a '15 mustang GT.

And with your incessant fan-boy'ing saying how the GT is inferior in potential because "you can always add hp but can't subtract weight."

Both of which are infuriatingly shallow statements. Why did you feel the need to bench-race shit on the mustang gt in a thread about it's weakness and strengths and turn this thread into a stinking pile of crap.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totopo For This Useful Post:
KR-S (12-31-2015), Summerwolf (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #134
Jaden
Road-hole

lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
No Jaden, no one was telling you what YOU can or can't do.

But people had an issue with you saying that an frs with bolt-ons can DESTROY a '15 mustang GT.

And with your incessant fan-boy'ing saying how the GT is inferior in potential because "you can always add hp but can't subtract weight."

Both of which are infuriatingly shallow statements. Why did you feel the need to bench-race shit on the mustang gt in a thread about it's weakness and strengths and turn this thread into a stinking pile of crap.

And why do you, a 370Z driver insist on being in a twin forum constantly berating the twins?

Jaden
Old 12-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #135
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
And why do you, a 370Z driver insist on being in a twin forum constantly berating the twins?

Jaden
Where do you see him bashing the twins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
totopo (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #136
Jaden
Road-hole

KR-S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Where do you see him bashing the twins?
This has been a long standing thing between me and totopo...

This is NOT new to this thread...

I had just not been on the forum and or have stayed out of the versus section for a while.

Jaden
Old 12-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #137
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
This has been a long standing thing between me and totopo...

This is NOT new to this thread...

I had just not been on the forum and or have stayed out of the versus section for a while.

Jaden
By the looks of it, you've resorted to using ad hominems and insults to anyone whose opinion differs from yours.
Quote:
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #138
Jaden
Road-hole

What ad hominem have I used or personal attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
By the looks of it, you've resorted to using ad hominems and insults to anyone whose opinion differs from yours.

Please show me where I have done so? I haven't insulted anyone...

Jaden
Old 12-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #139
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
Please show me where I have done so? I haven't insulted anyone...

Jaden
Certainly.

Quote:
Why don't you just go fuck yourself...

Jaden
Quote:

Jaden
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  29.2 KB

I'm going to end this "discussion" as I don't want to contribute to getting a decent thread locked again.
Quote:
Old 12-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #140
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why don't you just go fuck yourself..

Jaden
Not an insult, but this is the reason this keeps going, this attitude concerning other people. Just drop it.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
KR-S (12-31-2015)