follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Akya2120

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for some opinions.

So I have had the car for about three months. I am thinking about getting the OpenFlash tablet, and headers. Can anyone tell me of some potential drawbacks to re-tuning my fuel map, or installing new headers. I am somewhat torn between getting the tablet or getting the grimmspeed intake, but I figure I can do either later and the tablet is on sale right now, also there has been talk of a V2 intake from GS so I might as well hold off on that.

The one thing I am concerned about right now is being too noisy. I have the TRD exhaust, and it's about as loud as I want it to be. So I am thinking about putting the stock muffler back on to keep it quiet. Opinions on that? I mean I guess I will know pretty easily once I do it if it is too loud for me, but input would be nice.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Akya2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Akya2120 (12-06-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-06-2015), humfrz (12-06-2015), JohnJuan (12-08-2015), kch (12-07-2015), KR-S (12-06-2015), YamahaR86 (12-07-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
I have uel header on stock exhaust. The car is very quite. I can even say the car is too quite.
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Who8myrice For This Useful Post:
Akya2120 (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akya2120 View Post
So I have had the car for about three months. I am thinking about getting the OpenFlash tablet, and headers. Can anyone tell me of some potential drawbacks to re-tuning my fuel map, or installing new headers. I am somewhat torn between getting the tablet or getting the grimmspeed intake, but I figure I can do either later and the tablet is on sale right now, also there has been talk of a V2 intake from GS so I might as well hold off on that.

The one thing I am concerned about right now is being too noisy. I have the TRD exhaust, and it's about as loud as I want it to be. So I am thinking about putting the stock muffler back on to keep it quiet. Opinions on that? I mean I guess I will know pretty easily once I do it if it is too loud for me, but input would be nice.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
I suggest clicking the link Tcoat posted for potential drawbacks....

As for the openflash tablet, I bought it in a similar position as you and had no supporting mods, hell right now all I have is a TRD intake but the difference in having it is substantial. It's a difference you can feel having the stage 1 93 octane tune vs stock. Also because you're getting headers anyway, regardless of whether or not it's cat less or catted you'll need a tune regardless not only to avoid some pesky CELs but also to get the most power out of them. Hence why open-flash tablet is something you should buy first, and you also should simply get a drop in filter gains with a CAI are minimal at best.

As for noise, you still have the intake tube pumping sound into the cabin so that also makes it kind of loud, the TRD exhaust is pretty tame and quiet in my opinion. If you get uels it's only going to get louder these are some videos I am looking at currently to prep for my header purchase to see the sound level:

Openflash Header with fully stock header back:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDhwXQKmTY"]Openflash header stock everything else - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y5DqN9lIqI"]Open Flash Header + Stock OP/FP/Catback - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhtfQZhgFo"]BRZ open flash header with stock exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

This one pertains to you header with trd exhaust:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllQEFWr4Jg"]Frs with borla uel header and trd muffler - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoFXGBLXAok"]Scion FRS GT86 with UEL headers and TRD exhaust - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22--fvv8eD0"]2013 BRZ with TRD exhaust and Borla UEL header - YouTube[/ame]

Also note it depends whether you get a header catted or uncatted and also videos don't do justice for sound, and if you get openflash tablet you're probably going to get the openflash header (as I will possibly do)

There are alot of variables involved...
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 12-06-2015 at 09:45 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Akya2120 (12-06-2015), MightyMeeple (12-08-2015), Who8myrice (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
Akya2120

I was unaware of a catted UEL header. I doubt there are any that are CARB legal though. Which is the real problem... Regardless I plan to start running e85 as soon as I can, but it might be a while before I can convince a local station to start carrying e85. Either that or until I can start producing it... LOL unlikely.

I have seen most of those videos, but I appreciate how thorough you were with it. The problem with videos, is that you have no concept of how loud it actually is. Unfortunately there is no absolute volume level on a computer. I would say that the TRD exhaust is pretty tame as well, but in WA I can't be louder than stock, which I am pretty sure headers will do with the TRD exhaust. But I am guessing the stock muffler with the OFH will be about as loud as the TRD exhaust which keeps me in good graces as far as that goes.

I suppose you are right about the OFT since the header will likely throw codes. Is there a stage one 92 octane tune? That's what we have here in WA.

Thanks for all the insight folks!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was unaware of a catted UEL header. I doubt there are any that are CARB legal though. Which is the real problem... Regardless I plan to start running e85 as soon as I can, but it might be a while before I can convince a local station to start carrying e85. Either that or until I can start producing it... LOL unlikely.

I have seen most of those videos, but I appreciate how thorough you were with it. The problem with videos, is that you have no concept of how loud it actually is. Unfortunately there is no absolute volume level on a computer. I would say that the TRD exhaust is pretty tame as well, but in WA I can't be louder than stock, which I am pretty sure headers will do with the TRD exhaust. But I am guessing the stock muffler with the OFH will be about as loud as the TRD exhaust which keeps me in good graces as far as that goes.

I suppose you are right about the OFT since the header will likely throw codes. Is there a stage one 92 octane tune? That's what we have here in WA.

Then go with FT-86SpeedFactory's UEL header (catted). They're lil bit louder than stock ones, so it won't make it louder... much.

& no, FT86SF's UEL header isn't smog approved.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #7
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Correct me if I am wrong. Headers help to increase hp by allowing exhaust gases to exit easier. Connecting the stock muffler, unless it is free flowing, will defeat the purpose of the header.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. Headers help to increase hp by allowing exhaust gases to exit easier. Connecting the stock muffler, unless it is free flowing, will defeat the purpose of the header.
To certain point correct & specially for FI, it is correct.

NA, it's a bit different & complicated than that.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
Akya2120

I had found no smog approved headers, but such is the game we play. I would prefer to keep emissions down, but switching to ethanol when I can will do more than a cat. I thought about wrapping the headers, but since I live in Washington it seems a poor choice unless I coat seal them with something like this. Which also reduces the chances of... flare ups... lol. From what I have read, the stock exhaust isn't terribly restrictive. I might expect to lose 2-5 peak horse from what I would gain with the TRD exhaust but I would like to keep the car quiet. I live in an apartment complex with a bunch of early birds (and I'm often a night owl,) when I don't I'll put the TRD muffler back on... or maybe it wont matter. Regardless, I intend to be respectful while still having my fun.

Is there any performance gain from going EL vs UEL? Probably a better question: is there a header which offers better performance that's about the same price?

Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
I had found no smog approved headers, but such is the game we play. I would prefer to keep emissions down, but switching to ethanol when I can will do more than a cat. I thought about wrapping the headers, but since I live in Washington it seems a poor choice unless I coat seal them with something like this. Which also reduces the chances of... flare ups... lol. From what I have read, the stock exhaust isn't terribly restrictive. I might expect to lose 2-5 peak horse from what I would gain with the TRD exhaust but I would like to keep the car quiet. I live in an apartment complex with a bunch of early birds (and I'm often a night owl,) when I don't I'll put the TRD muffler back on... or maybe it wont matter. Regardless, I intend to be respectful while still having my fun.

Is there any performance gain from going EL vs UEL? Probably a better question: is there a header which offers better performance that's about the same price?

If you're worry bout smog, keep it stock.

There are tons of thread on this EL vs UEL. Look it up
But for simple answer, both great. Each have their own pros & cons (UEL kills TQ dip, EL great at the top). See which one fit your needs/wants... but don't forget, you won't pass smog.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Stock cat-back exhaust on this car is fine; this is why when you look at dynos with aftermarket cat-back setups, there are minimal/modest gains. The aftermarket headers have all sorts of various gains, some modest, some more profound (look at the ACE header). But with header, plus a tune you can see some more substantial gains (plus removal of CELs).

To the OP:
I suggest leaving stock intake and use that $200-300 towards OFT and then go for a catted UEL header. With stage 2 tune running you will have a noticeable increase in powerband. Keep the TRD exhaust first and see what you think...I bet it won't be too loud.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with catted header you can only run stage 1 OFT tune. Stage 2 is if you have uncatted.
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_86 View Post
^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with catted header you can only run stage 1 OFT tune. Stage 2 is if you have uncatted.
Correct, except in the case of E85. You can run a stock header on a stage2 E85 EL tune.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Akya2120 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_86 View Post
Yea, I just looked at the release notes in my folder on my computer and that is the case:

OTS Map Requirements:
Stage 1- For vehicles equipped with original header. Other exhaust modifications also compatible. Stock air-box (with or without aftermarket drop-in panel filter) also recommend. Premium grade fuel only.

Stage 2- For vehicles equipped with aftermarket cat-less headers. Other exhaust modifications also compatible. Stock air-box (with or without aftermarket drop-in panel filter) also recommend. Premium grade fuel only.

I'm not sure what you'd use for a catted UEL, I'm pretty sure @steve99 would know
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Akya2120 (12-09-2015)