follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Denkigrve's FRS

I picked up my car this morning. It's now got 50some miles on it. Picked it up with 9 total. I love everything about the car so far. I'll post some more once I have some more time. This is simply a placeholder for now.

Here are the first two pics I took with my iPhone. First at the fountain by one of the buildings at work:

Second is from the Dealership when I was actually getting ready to drive it home:

Last edited by denkigrve; 11-16-2012 at 03:29 PM.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to denkigrve For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-13-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
So now that I'm less "overly excited," some thoughts.

The Clutch:
As most people have posted. It feels light. I'm used to my WRX and my AE86 had a 6 puck unsprung ACT. So this feels ULTRA light. It'll take some getting used to. Otherwise it's not bad.

Shifting:
Shifting feels great. Direct, short. Overall really really solid.

Not going over 4k RPMs:
OMFG This is hard. I just want to see what it can do. Take it to the limit. Must. Use. Restraint. I'm at 59 miles already. Only 941 to go!

Feeling of the suspension:
This car is VERY well composed. Hitting small bumps in the road it doesn't feel floaty. It feels solid, always connected. I'm shocked at how good it feels. I can't wait to do some spirited driving and see where it can go, and what it can do.

Quirks:
So in the BRZ forums they are talking about a "bang" noise in certain situations. I heard it on mine. It sounds like a rock hitting under the car. The sound is coming right from where the Cat is. So my guess is that it's the Cat breaking in.

Overall feeling?
I'm in love. I grew up on lower power NA cars. This feels like a return to my roots. My AE86 was also silver as well. I had totally forgotten since it was rattle can black when I bought it. Under that though? Silver. Very fitting color choice. My WRX is also silver. I think I have a silver obsession.
stalon320 (07-15-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
congrats
Looks clean!
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
dvlnsyde
86 NorCal Owners Club

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm waiting for my dealer to see if he can get my Argento AT in his next allocation. It's KILLIN' me! Your car looks sharp!! Congrats!
dvlnsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvlnsyde For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like the silver, very classy.
Can you make more comparisons to your AE86? Is it as tossable as the AE86, etc power to weight ratio is still higher in the FRS unless you have a highly modified AE86
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSCoupe For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
great pics, I have an Argento coming myself.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mines13 For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCoupe View Post
I like the silver, very classy.
Can you make more comparisons to your AE86? Is it as tossable as the AE86, etc power to weight ratio is still higher in the FRS unless you have a highly modified AE86
So far it feels more composed than my AE86 was. When you hit the gas you have torque. The pull feels good comparing. It with a stock 4AG. Going from 2k to 4K almost happened too fast but i stopped myself.

The suspension and balance are they key fators though. There is a lot less roll. I'm driving it very conservatively though for the break in. As soon as I hit 1,000 miles I'm going to kick the tail out a little on a track day to see how it compares. I'm expect it to be easier than the AE86, but still require the knowledge gained from that to make it look good.

I'm honestly not planning to drift it too much. I was to do a bunch of grip driving. I'm trying to estimate when I'm gonna hit my 1k so I can go do some auto x, and maybe a track day at Laguna if my buddy at work has it in time for the break in.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
congrats! what dealership did you get it from? positive or negative experience?
PMok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMok For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
congrats! what dealership did you get it from? positive or negative experience?
Thanks.

I got it from One Toyota in Oakland. It was an awesome experience. The sales Manager, TJ is great. If you anyone is looking for a car I'd say hit him up. Not sure how long his list is at this point, but the buying experience was way worth it. I paid pretty much MSRP. The only add-ons I got were clear bra, rear appliqué, wheel locks, and trunk mat. Out the door with tax etc was 28009.
Capt Canuck (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nice seeing a fellow Argento lover. Great color.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Here are a few pictures from the meet last night. I had 70 miles on the car at that point. :B Everyone was like "You picked this up when? THIS MORNING?!"

After driving the car to work today, I'm still in awe of how amazing the car feels. I also realized while trying to back into a spot in the garage that I need to learn the corners of my car. :P

I know a lot of you guys are going to hate on the M45, but that's my good friend's car. I think it looks amazing. It's built to be a show car. It's on bags, and I always see his car and am just amazed at how good it looks. He's also got an 89 miata with a full custom cage, wide body, and an LS1 waiting to go in. Also an S14 for drifting. Also an S13 sitting around. Also a miata parts car... He convinced me to come to the show. He wanted to show off the FR-S more than I did. lol.

Last edited by denkigrve; 11-16-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Fixing broken image links
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to denkigrve For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-13-2012), MarkRacerX (06-21-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Nice seeing a fellow Argento lover. Great color.
The Argento does a great job of providing the nice light color so the lines of the body have some nice sharp points like the white, but without causing the same types of contrast issues in bright sunlight. I'm super glad I got this instead of white at this point. At night especially it really seems to pick up the lights and play with them.

I'm trying to plan some places to shoot photos of my car in a similar manner to what Hanzo did with his car.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
Thanks.

I got it from One Toyota in Oakland. It was an awesome experience. The sales Manager, TJ is great. If you anyone is looking for a car I'd say hit him up. Not sure how long his list is at this point, but the buying experience was way worth it. I paid pretty much MSRP. The only add-ons I got were clear bra, rear appliqué, wheel locks, and trunk mat. Out the door with tax etc was 28009.
That's good to hear. After One Toyota's dodgy CL postings I was wondering. Now I know just to ping him directly if I get to the point I want to pick one of these up next year
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
2012/06/12 Update:
The fun of getting a new project car is how much research and time you spending on it. Thinking about your next steps, where you want to take the car, what else you can do to fine tune the car.

Over the past week I've been doing homework. Looking at upgrade paths, looking at what I've been wanting to do, and what's feasible to do. I've also made some hard choices on how much money I want to put into this project, and what my goals are. Originally I was going to get the car and just daily drive it, and turn my WRX into a project car, but after driving the FR-S I don't want to do that. I want the WRX to be my daily car and instead start learning to drive better and do Auto-X and HSDE type stuff with it.

As a result I've since been doing some homework, and have decided on some basic upgrade paths. I talked to a few companies about their coil-overs and explained what I'd like to do an what I'd like to get out of the car. RS*R is winning at the moment. The feedback they had was awesome, and the quality of their parts seem to fit what I'm looking for as a novice driver.

Next up are wheels. I had my sights set on some 18x8.5 wheels for a while. I was trying to find the best application that would work, but I realized how foolish that was, and the fact that I could save almost 3 pounds per wheel by getting 17s. So I've instead opted for some Enkei RP03s. I'm looking for a set of those now.

Finally, to complete my "first steps of tuning" I've got the Cusco strut bar with the brake cylinder stopper on the way. I figure by the time I finish hashing out locations, prices, installs, tuning of everything I'll be ready to start placing each component on the car and moving on up.

My goal was to start thinking ahead, but not too far ahead so my parts replacement doesn't outpace my skill growth.

The ONLY clincher right now are some back pains I've been having. I got into an accident in may. Someone rear ended the van we were in on our way back from the airport, and since then I've been having some back pains. Saw the doctor this morning, had some x-rays done, and have a follow up on Thursday. The goal is to get everything in proper alignment, healed up, and make sure I'm fit to drive. I'll be heartbroken if I can't do any heavy driving, but I'll still be there in my FR-S cheering on everyone else.