follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Metallic BRZ

Drives: 1992 Corvette Z07
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
Staggering a smaller height front rim is only practical on a FWD platform for traction gains. On this car it would have the opposite of your intended effect (floaty turn in).

In drag or high power grip RWD scenes staggering the other way is more common with smaller rears like 17/16 or 18/16.

Talking about tyre widths, if you lust after that staggered look I say go for it. Otherwise your cash will be better spent on better quality rubber all round.
This isn't accurate. Many high powered cars use larger diameter wheels in the rear. I can't say if it is because of the power - but I suspect so. Both my C5 and C6 vette had a larger diameter in the back.

1992 Z07 Corvette
2008 Odyssey
2013 BRZ
Metallic BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic BRZ View Post
This isn't accurate. Many high powered cars use larger diameter wheels in the rear. I can't say if it is because of the power - but I suspect so. Both my C5 and C6 vette had a larger diameter in the back.
section height not section width.

Top fuel dragsters use very small wheel height to transfer power to the tires quicker. But use an big diameter rear for the most contact patch for the dialed in power. and very tall skinny tires for optimal low resistance and aerodynamic aid. You will see setups like for example...17x5 Front / 15x10 Rear

In road course, this also could occur depending on the output characteristic of the vehicle. With more common 17x6 fronts and 16x9 Rears on HPDE teams that really focus on maximum grip on the rear drive wheels.

But this BRZ/FRS is not suffering from the lack of traction, even with low resistance eco tires. So it would most likely negatively effect the car if you choose to set up the car this way. Im guessing a good 17x8.5 all around with performance non-slicks tires will be the best street setup. But id be more interested in staggering the offsets in favor for lower offsets in the rear.

If the BRZ/FRS is putting down +500whp, then the factory suspension and tire setting is now not balanced...aka not properly dialed in to accept the output.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Metallic BRZ

Drives: 1992 Corvette Z07
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
section height not section width.

Top fuel dragsters use very small wheel height to transfer power to the tires quicker. But use an big diameter rear for the most contact patch for the dialed in power. and very tall skinny tires for optimal low resistance and aerodynamic aid. You will see setups like for example...17x5 Front / 15x10 Rear

In road course, this also could occur depending on the output characteristic of the vehicle. With more common 17x6 fronts and 16x9 Rears on HPDE teams that really focus on maximum grip on the rear drive wheels.

But this BRZ/FRS is not suffering from the lack of traction, even with low resistance eco tires. So it would most likely negatively effect the car if you choose to set up the car this way. Im guessing a good 17x8.5 all around with performance non-slicks tires will be the best street setup. But id be more interested in staggering the offsets in favor for lower offsets in the rear.

If the BRZ/FRS is putting down +500whp, then the factory suspension and tire setting is now not balanced...aka not properly dialed in to accept the output.
Thanks, I get that. I was just referencing that for street cars that it isn't the case. Can't think of any real reason why street cars would run smaller diameter in the rear - but I may have missed if this was for non-street. On the flip side, many production cars (modern) have larger diameters in the rear and I'd wager it isn't for looks.

Come to think of it many open wheel racecars have larger rear wheels (diameter) too. All that aside, it certainly makes sense for certain traction needs.

1992 Z07 Corvette
2008 Odyssey
2013 BRZ
Metallic BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I've seen some of the MKIV Supras running 18's in the rear and 17's in the front only b/c they have high HP. Staggered is one thing but TBH, I don't see how this would be beneficial on the FR-S, which is already balanced.
I've also seen the opposite on big power Supras. 18's front and 17's rear. Ugly but they get more sidewall in the back to hook up better.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic BRZ View Post
Yeah it is but you are talking about a greater overall diameter not just wheel size.
nix is offline   Reply With Quote