follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Out of those 3, which would you choose?
HKS Supercharger V2 29 44.62%
Crawford's Turbo 9 13.85%
Greddy Turbo 27 41.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Ogremair

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenhachi View Post
Excuse the typos. Predictive text took over. Haha
Haha, no worries mate, I have contacted LJ from Full blown motorsports, he's a good old sport, helped me out details explaining to me what's needed an' all, I might go with them as I see they're appropriate to what I am expecting from their build. Ptuning are also good, but I don't like the idea of a turbo down under, makes it susceptible to cracking under heat if water comes in contact with it suddenly. And yeah, might go with a carbon vented hood, making it easier for the heat to escape.
Ogremair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #16
Ogremair

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagun View Post
good luck on ur built . just remember the knock is jumps up with weather temps so do not use over boost at hot weather , first start with cooling system {water and oil} . if u got p tuning turbo it is OK. if u got front turbos be sure u have opened hood . and do not forget buy water and oil turbo system .
Thanks mate, I'll be seeing that I max my cooling potential before I do the turbo and engine rebuild. Thanks again for the heads up,
Ogremair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
ztan

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I was making a final decision between HKS blower and Greddy turbo (looking for more moderate power gains). Ended up deciding to go with the Greddy because I didn't like the number of mounting brackets that needed to be cut with the HKS setup.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:11 AM   #18
Kylefc

Drives: 2JZ, NOS, Twin Turbo LOL
HKS Ver.2 Supercharger or Greddy Tuner Turbo Kit

This is just my opinion. I know that both companies have good reputations, especially Crawford with their work on Subarus. But I would go for Greddy or HKS. I think HKS or Greddy will be a safer choice. I would personally go for HKS because I prefer having no lag with the supercharger.
Kylefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #19
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you want a reliable , tractable daily driverable 500RWHP then I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think the FA20 engine is capable of that

yes you can make the figure but its all top-end , dyno queen stuff that is a pain in the ass for a DD
as others have said I think you'll need a bigger engine to make this target

Or twincharge it with a PD blower and a turbo.....

or aim for 420RWHP which gives a far sweeter spread of power and will still be pretty quick....
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylefc View Post
This is just my opinion. I know that both companies have good reputations, especially Crawford with their work on Subarus. But I would go for Greddy or HKS. I think HKS or Greddy will be a safer choice. I would personally go for HKS because I prefer having no lag with the supercharger.
HKS V2 supercharger for this car is a big failure of HKS. After wasting my time and money with this piece of junk (so as other 3 owners that I know) I lost all my faith in this sort of "reputable" vendor.

This unit simply have a constuction flaw which doesn't allow it to survive any active use and even without beating they don't hold more than 10-15 thousand kilometers.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=89226&page=6
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #21
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Drives: Forester STi SG9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
HKS V2 supercharger for this car is a big failure of HKS. After wasting my time and money with this piece of junk (so as other 3 owners that I know) I lost all my faith in this sort of "reputable" vendor.

This unit simply have a constuction flaw which doesn't allow it to survive any active use and even without beating they don't hold more than 10-15 thousand kilometers.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=89226&page=6
Efferalgan, as sad as is what happened to you, you cannot say this kit is junk.

I as a matter of fact , live in Japan and part of the RH9 group here, housing the very best and finest tuners of the island. HKS v1 , v2 are widely used for very heavy duty race cars, and they hold just fine ! as long as everything is done BY THE BOOK ! for installation, tuning and servicing.

I am not married to HKS by any ways, and I can claim there Highpower SPEC L exhaust is facing very severe issues with time, HKS V2 supercharger kit, I don't know any broken one in all of Japan, through all the biggest tuners here ...

I understand you have been through a lot with them, and you may not be the only one, but seems it happens in the same place with kind of the same conditions, so could as well be a problem with, cold, winter, installation and what not.

To sum it up, HKS V2 kit is a great piece of equipment, if 1 you buy it through a registered & approved HKS dealer. 2 have it installed & tuned by a HKS certified master tuner. 3 Serviced by a competent and knowledgeable person on their supercharger kits.

If one of these three conditions isn't met ... you won't be in safe hands.
HaDDeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDDeS View Post

I as a matter of fact , live in Japan and part of the RH9 group here, housing the very best and finest tuners of the island. HKS v1 , v2 are widely used for very heavy duty race cars, and they hold just fine ! as long as everything is done BY THE BOOK ! for installation, tuning and servicing.

I am not married to HKS by any ways, and I can claim there Highpower SPEC L exhaust is facing very severe issues with time, HKS V2 supercharger kit, I don't know any broken one in all of Japan, through all the biggest tuners here ...

I understand you have been through a lot with them, and you may not be the only one, but seems it happens in the same place with kind of the same conditions, so could as well be a problem with, cold, winter, installation and what not.

To sum it up, HKS V2 kit is a great piece of equipment, if 1 you buy it through a registered & approved HKS dealer. 2 have it installed & tuned by a HKS certified master tuner. 3 Serviced by a competent and knowledgeable person on their supercharger kits.

i have the hks kit installed in my car now. in my reading on this kit. most guys that fully remove the restrictor plates have had failures. evasive's car made some serious power on this kit and ive seen some kits with the stroker kit added making very good power.

i have done a rolling pull against a styreet bike cbr 600 "w/ a girl on back" and i pulled away over 130mph approx

i am street tuned, uel headers, fic injectors, dw65c fuel pump, moto east flex E85, hks oil cooler, hks supercharger, stock restrictor plate and pulley.

i have a smaller pulley i have yet to tune.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andew727 For This Useful Post:
HaDDeS (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #23
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andew727 View Post
i have the hks kit installed in my car now. in my reading on this kit. most guys that fully remove the restrictor plates have had failures. evasive's car made some serious power on this kit and ive seen some kits with the stroker kit added making very good power.

i have done a rolling pull against a styreet bike cbr 600 "w/ a girl on back" and i pulled away over 130mph approx

i am street tuned, uel headers, fic injectors, dw65c fuel pump, moto east flex E85, hks oil cooler, hks supercharger, stock restrictor plate and pulley.

i have a smaller pulley i have yet to tune.
Well, I have no restrictor plate anymore, HKS stroker, HKS cams, and can tell you it works just very fine ...
Old 09-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
i have never gotten a response from HKS if they recommend removing it, or boring it larger.

but i was just pointing out that the failures had theirs removed and one was not purchased through an unauthorized dealer or something so who knows?

i have no complaints about the supercharger. just the oil cooler touching my turn indicator.

Last edited by Andew727; 09-09-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andew727 For This Useful Post:
HaDDeS (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #25
qiyuan

Drives: BRZ 15'
Hello HaDDes, may I ask what are the issues hipower specL has? cuz I'm about to install V2 with this exhaust.

Quote:

qiyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #26
HaDDeS
Touge worship

Nothing major , but some cases of welds crack have been reported. It is still on the best options for the twins, so just make sure you buy it through an HKS official dealer, and if anything it'll be taken under warranty !

If you buy it out of Ebay ,or .. wherever else, if you are to experience any defect it wouldn't be accepted back by HKS.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #27
spdbydesign

Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
$2999 for our SBD Turbo Kit w/ FREE Shipping to the UAE

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58514
spdbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:39 AM   #28
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Quote:

I'd be happy to buy it via an official retailer, so as the other guys, but there was no such an option.

What is the serial of your blower btw?

All the failed ones were from the "14th" series - first digits in the serial number. I see pics with "15th" blowers which probably means that there was a revision and the old inferior 14th units were dumped to Yahoo auctions where we all bought this junk from.

Just to reiterate - I wouldn't be that negative and determined in my hatred towards HKS (so as all Russian gt86/brz community now) if it was just me alone but we have 3 exactly identical cases of failed V2s here (+1 V1 but that is not 100% correct to add that one to the statistics as initial reasons for its failure might be different). All 3 were from the 14th series with serials within 150 from each other, installed by different shops even in different cities. 2 had Delicious flash & go tunes (which is rather conservative), the 3rd one - some other tune from a US tuner (don't remember which one but not Visconti )
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote