follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #15
rick s

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
If the clutch pedal stays on the floor it sounds like your throw out bearing has failed.

This is not what I want to hear!

Thanks for the input though!
Hopefully we don't need to go down that road!

rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
If the clutch pedal stays on the floor it sounds like your throw out bearing has failed.
LOL I actually wrote that in my first reply and then second guessed myself and deleted it.

That is a well know issue especially with the 13s.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
rick s

Okay, if the throw out bearing is bad would there not be the tell tale signs of squealing or whining? It just seems odd that a bearing that was perfectly quiet yesterday would suddenly up and sh!t the bed this morning! Am I wrong in this assumption? Any other time I have dealt with throw out failure you knew something was up and about to go.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #18
rick s

Update: checked the engine bay and found indication of some fluid leaking from the slave cylinder. I guess replacing this part is the logical place to start!

I found a slave cylinder for ~ $42 free shipping. Sound reasonable?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
Update: checked the engine bay and found indication of some fluid leaking from the slave cylinder. I guess replacing this part is the logical place to start!

I found a slave cylinder for ~ $42 free shipping. Sound reasonable?

Sorry for the delayed reply but if not too late this may be a good time to upgrade.
This has been very popular so far:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
rick s (08-22-2015), Ultramaroon (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #20
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,616 Times in 18,979 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Haha... DO IT!

Oh, and here's the sequence of events.

1. Slave cyl shits the bed.
2. ALL the fluid leaks out of the reservoir.
3. Only then does the air get in.

Said it somewhere else recently - Air does not magically appear in the system.

The pedal stays down because, without the return force from the hydraulics, the helper spring keeps it there.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #21
rick s

Tcoat,

Funny you should mention that. I am typically an impatient kinda of guy and a couple of weeks ago I did the TRD springs and a set of Bilsteins and what should have been a one day adventure turned into a week due to having to get new sway bar end links. So needless to say I didn't want to wait another week for the slave cylinder. I was browsing the forum for info and did come across the DYI by Ultramaroon. A quick check and the local Autozone has the slave cylinder in stock so today I am off to pick it up. The only issue I have is the "crush" washer availability. I know the Napa store has some copper washers but size wise I'm not sure if they have them in stock. If I have to wait days to get some washers I'll be pretty bummed. There is nothing worse than this car just sitting in the driveway

Thanks for your helpful replies

Old 08-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
rick s

Ultramaroon,

In progress, see post above!
Thanks for the DYI write up.
Like I said the only issue appears to be getting the right size crush washers fronm a local store without having to special order them.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #23
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
Ultramaroon,

In progress, see post above!
Thanks for the DYI write up.
Like I said the only issue appears to be getting the right size crush washers fronm a local store without having to special order them.

If you anneal the old crush washer they'll work like new again. Just hang them on a wire, a coat hanger works well, heat them to glowing red, and let them cool in the air. I've installed 3000 psi diesel injectors like this, never had a leak.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

^^truth^^

...at least until they're paper thin. They're 10 mm - identical to the brake caliper gaskets.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #25
rick s

After thinking about the whole deal I decided to just have the car towed to the dealer. The slave cylinder should not just go and want them to get to a root cause .

Well just got the call from the dealer and it appears the clutch fork is broken.

Like I said before no noises or other indications of impending failure. Once again the FRS disappoints! The highs of this car are getting overrun by the nagging concerns about quality. Fuel pump chirping, tail light condensation and now this. Not a great track record for a two year old car.

Now I have to have the Toyota rep look at the car and make a determination as to whether this will be covered under warranty or not

The never ending Scion saga
Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #26
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho you exagerated it a bit. My line of thinking is like:
1) it's very cheap and good enough car in it's class and due that sold in high numbers, because of that community behind it became rather big. Due nature of forums, negative experience/problems are way more often reported/posted, then problem-free usage, which subjectively is 'as expected'. No wonder that all together may make it look like way worse then it is in how often really there are problems/broken parts/replacement frequency. For later one needs to access to lot of statistical data from dealers/serviceshops/manufacturer, that probably no average joe customer will never get. I'd rather bet that this car is 'normal', breaks as often as average, has acceptable share and frequency of problems as average. At least didn't saw much very major and serious recalls, and few reported problems didn't overshadow generic positive rating in my eyes.
2) purpose of this car/class, just like most other performance/sports cars, assumes also much heavier abuse then some only daily driven family hauler. I see it as upping chances to break something at least by few times. I don't expect WRX/STI/Evo/Type-Rs/M bmw-s and so on to last very long either. Most probably forums for those are full of threads about their specific problems too.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #27
rick s

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho you exagerated it a bit. My line of thinking is like:
1) it's very cheap and good enough car in it's class and due that sold in high numbers, because of that community behind it became rather big. Due nature of forums, negative experience/problems are way more often reported/posted, then problem-free usage, which subjectively is 'as expected'. No wonder that all together may make it look like way worse then it is in how often really there are problems/broken parts/replacement frequency. For later one needs to access to lot of statistical data from dealers/serviceshops/manufacturer, that probably no average joe customer will never get. I'd rather bet that this car is 'normal', breaks as often as average, has acceptable share and frequency of problems as average. At least didn't saw much very major and serious recalls, and few reported problems didn't overshadow generic positive rating in my eyes.
2) purpose of this car/class, just like most other performance/sports cars, assumes also much heavier abuse then some only daily driven family hauler. I see it as upping chances to break something at least by few times. I don't expect WRX/STI/Evo/Type-Rs/M bmw-s and so on to last very long either. Most probably forums for those are full of threads about their specific problems too.

Chirping fuel pump no exaggeration, replaced twice. Toyota gives up and says this is "normal". Wish the chirping was present when I first bought the car. It may have influenced my decision
Tail light condensation, poor design or seal materials. Again no exaggeration.
Overall in the scheme of things it is "cheap" but that doesn't excuse the design or material issues. A $13,000 car I expect to have issues, mid 20's not so much!
Just venting my frustration at this point!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Meh. Supercar owners consider their breakdown frequency a badge of honor. At least the Toyobaru isn't very expensive to repair.